1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange problem with engine

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Austiegarrett94, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Those downhill ski jumps will bite you in the ass, haha, my buddy held the western U.S. downhill mnt biking thing for a couple years, he had cannondale sponsorships... All I know is if I was spending $3k & up on a bike, it'd better have a twist throttle...

2. Jun 15, 2014 at 3:28 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    First off, disconnect the battery for a bit to reset that CEL light.

Second, leave the cat alone. If you take it off you will have a constant CEL light that you will never be able to get rid of. If the truck is tuned decent, the cat will never be an issue.

But you got to get rid of the original CEL light. the truck is now running in "open loop". This means more fuel than needed is being put to the engine. What the engine can't use makes its way to the cat and will plug it. You do not want to have to replace a cat. They are stupid expensive.

3. Jun 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    Timdj112

Timdj112 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 3.4L V6 SR5 Offroad Pkg
    Glad to hear it is running better. Obviously you found the correct plugs. But yes, Denso or NGK's with dual electrodes on the 3.4L. When I first changed mine I was surprised to see single electrode NGK's all the way around. I wonder who put those in there and how long it'd been like that :S Someone ignored all the stickers in the engine bay clearly telling them to use only dual electrodes.

4. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Mine is also throwing the random misfire code. When going up a gradual incline it will balk or stutter around the 3/4 or 4/5 gear change. It seems more like a transmission or torque converter problem but I haven't changed the fuel/air/spark/wire in a while so I will try that.

5. Jul 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    New plugs/wires/fuel filter fixed my problem. No more CEL, no more stuttering/balking while going up a gradual incline. The plug electrodes were all pretty evenly worn but the gaps were pretty large. I can upload a pic if anyone is interested.

6. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
    Please do, I'm going to be doing a tune up soon and would like to see the difference if you don't mind.

Much appreciated.

7. Jul 26, 2014 at 3:33 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD

Products Discussed in

To Top