1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Street Guardian SG9663DC Install (dashcam)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by venezian, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nov 9, 2017 at 10:52 PM
    venezian

venezian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    I've been and still am a huge fan of Street Guardian brand of dash cams, even before dash cams were cool in Russia. :D

Anyway, i've had multiple models and finally got my hands on the latest version, a dual channel model with wifi.
    There are a lot of good cams out there, but I stick with SG because it's been the most reliable and stable of the bunch.

First, Specs:
    https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dc

Second, the install. It took me about 1 hour to complete.

[​IMG]

The kit includes power cable with 90* plug, 3m (~9.8 feet) usb cable to connect remote camera, GPS Antenna, extension cable with 90* plug for GPS Antenna extra 3M VHB double sided tape, wire clips, stickers, Clip-on CPL Filter, dash trim prying tool and a quick start guide.

[​IMG]

Cable with blue clip is not part of the dash cam install. It's for my Drone Mobile GPS antenna. Using the tool provided, I simply tucked the wire into the headliner towards the A Pillar.

[​IMG]

Once I reached the A Pillar, I used the trim/prying tool to put the cable behind the plastic cover going to the rubber seal.

[​IMG]

There's plenty of room behind the rubber strip. This is for the power cable so work your way down tucking the cable in.

[​IMG]

The kick plate trim is easily removed by a simply pulling up. Remove this first.

[​IMG]

Then reach in the back by the foot rest and pull on the tab that is securing the plastic cover then remove.

[​IMG]

This is where I wired my PowerMagic Pro to the a couple of fuses using fuse taps for a clean install. I cannot for the life of me remember which two fuses I tapped into. You'll need to tap into an always on fuse and one that's powered when the key is in the ACC mode and finally a ground. I used the nearest screw that was metal on metal for the ground wire.

The PowerMagic Pro allows you to wire direct and clean install. It also allows you to run the dash cam straight from the battery, but it also has a built in voltage meter so the battery doesn't die. There are new hard wire kits that install direct to the fuse taps, but I've had this device for over 6 years now so I'll keep using it. The only thing BlackVue produced that wasn't shit.

[​IMG]

Here, I've secured with electrical tape and zip tied the excess cable and tucked in.

Once taped and tucked away, put the cover back on. Here i put the switch mounted at the top of the plastic cover. This switch allows me to run the dash cam with the engine off. It has a built in voltage meter to turn off the dash cam so the battery does not drain.

[​IMG]

Positioned and secured the new dash cam and power plugged in. Now I run the wire for the rear channel camera. I do the same, tuck the wire in the headliner and work my way to the A Pillar.

[​IMG]

Once I reach the rubber seal, I continue to the B Pillar.

[​IMG]

Keep going...

[​IMG]

The wire tucks in nice and snug, all the way to the end. The cable was just long enough with maybe a few inches to spare. There is an optional 6m (20 feet) cable, but it won't be necessary for this application.

[​IMG]

Can barely tell there's a camera.

[​IMG]

I have the Drone Mobile antenna on the left. The dash cam center, and the dash cam GPS antenna beside the GoPro mount.
    I have just enough room below the rear view mirror to hit the Event/Emergency button If I catch anything juicy. Pressing the E button will lock the current file in record and move it to a protected folder so that it does not get overwritten.

[​IMG]

I love this! I can watch and save clips on the fly if needed.
    DISCLAIMER: The power cable is on the bottom. I am using an old power cable from the 9665GC model I had. The new dash cam comes with a 90* tip. See the top cable for reference. I didn't want to remove and rewire as the straight plug did not bother me. The box also includes an extension cable with a 90* plug for the GPS Antenna. Again, I did not use it here.

[​IMG]

Screenshot from NovaCam iOS app. NovaCam is not the official app for this cam, but it works well enough. I don't know if there is an app being developed exclusively for this camera. There are a couple other apps for both Android and iOS I saw listed on the Dash Cam forums.

Finally, here's a 6 minute long video showing two 3 minute clips of the front and rear camera.
    Read the description from the YouTube link. I will be removing the CPL Filter because of the tint on my windshield. I didn't have an issue with glare before and I don't like the WB and rainbow effect it's causing.

https://youtu.be/Xsb9da3l-ow

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Danbest82, Tacoma04CA, MTopp and 4 others like this.
  2. Nov 12, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    ridereno

ridereno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 TRD-Off Road
    Great write up. How is the video clarity and video detail through your back window? I got rear ended from a woman taking selfies while driving and it would have been nice to get that on camera. Also, how is the night vision footage?
    Looks like a great product and street guardian is right down the road from me.

3. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    At that price, it better be awesome! Lol

venezian[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    venezian

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    SG has one of, if not, the best video quality on the market. Yes, the clones on Amazon that go for $90 are pretty good. IMO a dash cam is nothing I want to be cheap on. It's saved my ass a couple of times. and I like the peace of mind knowing it's always working.

Change it to 1080P... youtube's compression makes it look worse, but you get the idea.

Here's a rear channel example - afternoon - This behind the privacy + 40% tint and -2/3 EV setting. I've found that -2/3 is too dark so I've moved it back to 0.

Front channel in the evening, here the EV is still on -2/3. Too dark for my linking.

Rear channel in the morning, EV still set to -2/3

Finally, the first video I uploaded. I had to convert the file to stitch both files together and then Youtube compresses it further. Read the youtube description, EV setting was set to -1/3

Bastek likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    Looking good Bert! Ima hit you up when it's time for my install LOL :D:thumbsup:

venezian[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 17, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    LI Taco Guy

LI Taco Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    Wish I had this a month ago when i was in my accident... I will be putting one in soon.

venezian[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 17, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    x2. Couldn't agree more! Excellent equipment.

SG camera's also have the Best support by far, of any Dash cam on the market. Which I why I also put an SG in my Tacoma. About 9 months ago I installed the Street Guardian SG9665GC V3. Jokiin had not yet released for sale your Dual Channel setup yet. I used the Vico-Power Plus as the battery controller.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/categories/guardtrak-street-guardian.103/

8. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    venezian

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    A week after I received mine they had a link to register the camera to extend the warranty to a 2 year warranty.

Here's a morning video after I put the EV settings back to 0. Naturally, the the best drivers are on the roads.

patdeezy and TacoToTheHand like this.
  9. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    Cut you right off. Don't you just love Idiots that drive like that. :smack:

10. Nov 21, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    damn, I'm glad you're ok tho man!

venezian[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Dec 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    burnt_taco

burnt_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma Limited 4x4
    I appreciate this post OP. I followed it to install my dashcam except mine is on the other side of the mirror and ran it down the passenger side to the cigarette via USB. There shouldn't be an issue where the wire goes from the headliner into the pillar where the side airbags are right? lol:fingerscrossed:

12. Dec 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    venezian

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    If you run it at the top of the a pillar cover to go around and tuck into the rubber, then it shouldn't, but i'm no expert. From the crash test videos I've seen the side/head airbags deploy from the headliner above so it should be ok.

13. Dec 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Well, he WAS going 47 in a forty zone... hehe

Good quality video..

14. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:21 PM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    hey, can you confirm for me if the DC lets you turn off the speed stamp and/or the time stamp?

15. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    What's a "DC"..??.. OK U mean a dash cam...?? Yes you can on a BlackVue..!!

16. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    sorry, "DC" is what a lot of people call the SG9663DC for short, like the SG9663GC was GC for short.

17. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    OK... what does GC mean...,
    This is getting real bad..(I'm gonna go get a drink)... hehe

So you R talking about a specific brand...?? OK..!

18. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    venezian

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    Yes

I think the DC in the model stands for dual channel.

over60[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 17, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    MarvinL

MarvinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4X4 DCSB
    Does it have parking mode? If so how does it work?

Lewd Loki likes this.
  20. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    venezian

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    Not yet. There is a hard wire kit that will release soon that enables parking mode. The options are there in the camera, but not enabled unless you have a wiring kit.

The wiring kit I have now is simple on or off switch. In the off position the camera is on only when the car is on. With the switch in the on position it will remain on when the car is off. It has a voltage meter built in and set to turn off if the voltage falls below 11.6 volts.

I will be getting the official kit for this camera when it's released.

MarvinL[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top