1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stripping.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Knute, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:22 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

This is where I'd start, there are special strippers that won't hurt the allow wheels.

You could always just media blast them yourself since you said you have a compressor. Example from Eastwood's; sand will be too abrasive but there are other medias you can use.

2. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle

From boobs to caustic chemicals in one sentence.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    Knute

Knute [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Yes. I'm on this path. Local Toyota dealer has take-offs, but they want OEM prices.

There are only a couple of sandblasters in this area. They have 0 (zero) interest in a job this small.

So, DIY chemical strip is the remaining option. Or I could spend days sanding.......nope.

Using a better living thru chemicals is the choice. Picked up a quart of Kleen Strip Aircraft stripper for $22. I'll be attempting 1 wheel to see how things progress
    Its also easier to wiggle small spends out of our budget.......LOML doesn't get too uptight this way.

A side reality. I like the styling of the 17" OEM Sports. Don't like the color or the paint flaking off and corrosion. The polished aluminum and silver don't have a smooth appearance on the White truck. Color choice will be in the gunmetal gray area.......black will be too "heavy" IMHO.

:anonymous:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    gearcruncher likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Would love to see some before and after pics .

5. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok. I'll take pics of the wheels on the truck, the replacements and the steps in the process.

Be patient, it will take a while. I don't expect to be mounting the refurb replacements until April/May. Need to wait for warm weather to paint. The unheated garage is the paint booth. The basement workshop is the strip and prep area.

gearcruncher[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2021 at 8:00 PM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The restore work began on the wheels today.

Tried the Aircraft stripper.......barely touched the paint. What type of paint did Toyota use on the wheels???? :facepalm:

I'll try again tomorrow after I get a few wire wheels for a drill and grinder. Perhaps a combination of mechanical and chemical will remove the existing paint.

More as this progresses.........

7. Apr 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Hit the paint with a brown or gray scotch bright pad then use the paint stripper. It should help it get started to key the paint a bit.

8. Apr 6, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Today had a bit of progress. 3 hours with a 4 1/2" AC grinder and a 1/2" AC drill using a series of wire wheels resulted in 1 wheel about 90% stripped. :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed: Access into the lug holes is not possible with machine and the corners.

I checked with the neighbor, who is a bit of a gearhead, about a sand blaster willing to do small jobs. I have a contact. I'll make contact tomorrow to see about job interest and cost.

If no interest or cost too high.......then will use the sledgehammer method and spend about 10-12 hours stripping.

9. Apr 6, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
  10. Apr 6, 2021 at 8:49 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    For an alternative chemical stripping, you could try gasket remover. I stopped using it because it's some extremely nasty stuff. You don't want to breath the fumes, or get it on your skin, and definetly not in your eyes. Protective gloves is a must. You might need to go to some industrial hardware store, I'm not sure if they would or should sell it at the average auto parts store.

11. Apr 8, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately, I need to interrupt this task to complete another home oriented task that has been waiting for doors.

I contacted the media blaster my neighbor suggested.......they have 0 (zero), nada interest in the job. Looks like the armstrong sledge hammer method to strip the wheels....... :(:facepalm::notsure: May be possible to use a chem stripper in the tight spots, otherwise sandpaper wrapped around sticks.

Oh well.....life rumbles on.........................

12. Apr 8, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Another alternative. Something I read here, theres a company that does wheel repairs. What I remember is they do it all.

Products Discussed in

To Top