1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid mistake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:43 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I was doing a mod to add power outlets to my center console. Well I don't know what I did, but I do know I fried the fuse, fried the power outlets and the real pisser fried my XM receiver. :mad:
    Thought I was good to go, as soon as I turned the key on everything in an outlet went out.
    I believe one of the outlets was wired wrong, I am just thankful my GPS wasn't plugged in.
    O well live and learn.

2. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    that sucks. Let us know what not to do when you really figure it out. I was planning on doing the same (minus the destruction)

3. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. This is exactly why I am hesitant to touch anything electrical on my truck, with my luck I will end up doing a lot worse!

4. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    That sucks man... sorry to hear that....

5. Oct 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    When I first purchased my truck used from a dealer, the radio (aftermarket) and clock did not work. The dealer is about an hour drive, so I got in there and found all kinds of little surprises from the previous owner. I cleaned everything up and still nothing. I looked for the correct fuse but it was good. I found one fuse that seemingly had nothing to do with my issue and it was blown. I replaced it and everything has worked fine ever since. Go figure. I was so happy, I didn't even try to figure out what the hell was going on. It worked.

6. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:25 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Feel so sorry to hear that but Live & Learn is our live, Right?
    Just a small tips, when you going to add any electrical devices on your truck put a in line fuse, when something go wrong, it only blow the fuse, it will not demage your electronic devices.
    Also the DC is different than AC, I do see a car on fire because it short circuit. The hold car in flame in a few seconds.......so be careful.

7. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well had some time to take a look see.
    1st plug- I was going to add this to the bed, when I took it apart BOTH wires are soldiered to the center post?? glad I did not plug this one in to.

2nd- the one I plugged in, had to break it apart, plastic joined itself as one, it was wired correct, but the person who soldiered had a glob about the size of a dime so contact was made in both wires. Funny thing? the inline fuse did not blow.

Took them both to the place of purchase, and showed the manager. He was sort of so-so if you know what I mean. We pulled 4 more off the shelf and took a look. ALL of them were wired wrong or not wired at all.

Needless to say I was refunded all my money, plus given a 20% on my next purchase.

8. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    cool to know man!

9. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    make sure that 20% covers your satellite receiver.

10. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    naw it won't, but wishful thinking. Think I will stock up on oil and such.
    My brother is hitting the BX in FL to see what they have.
    Now the truck looks naked inside.

Products Discussed in

To Top