1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Overthehill2, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Oct 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Overthehill2

Overthehill2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Just finished installing Bilstein Struts (24-022842) on front of my 2002 trd.
    After finishing and letting the truck to the ground I notice the top strut screws are tightened all the way down to the end of the threads, but there is about a 1/2" gap left to the top of the bushing that was not there with the old set. I didn't like it so I put in some washers to fill up the space. Has any one had this problem?
    Thanks

2. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 Xtra cab, 3.4, OME/Dakar, and it's red.
    882, Dakar, Detroit, 4.88, Warn 9K, Wet Okole, Dog Hair. Addicted Off Road front bumper and sliders. Rucas Built rear bumper 120' synthetic rope, Ultragauge, sway-bar delete,
    Did you have a top plate spacer before? You could redo the coil spring and replace the bolts with shorter ones but I would probably do what you did and add a nice stack of washers and call it a day. It won't hurt anything.

Edit: are you asking about the center nut on the shock or the 3 bolts that hold the whole assembly in place? My advice was for the 3 bolts. If it's the center stud, you have another problem.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Any pics of the issue?

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Overthehill2

Overthehill2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Thanks for your reply. I found the problem when I looked at the old struts. I had not removed the old top rubber/washer assembly and put it on the new ones. At this point I do not want to pull it all out and put it in so there will not be a cushion between the top of the shock and the mounting plate. Maybe if I have energy I will pull it apart and put it in.

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastham Mass
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl cab Silver
    Bilstein 5100's, eibach coils, u bolt flip, Dakars/d6xl, Ome shackles, Poly sway bar bush, Poly rack bush, voltmeter, led guage lights, magnaflow stainless catback, stainless cats, deckplate mod, afe filter, tundra brakes,PIAA fogs behind grillecraft, color matched grille, soft topper, Projector retrofit, Allpro bumper , Blitzpro light bars, Alpine/ rock fosgate sound system, 35% tint, Some derped stuff
    You should put the bushing in.. Best to have everything properly assembled

Products Discussed in

To Top