1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sub box questions/ideas (Mr Marv, et al?) >>>

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BenWA, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 13, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Still noodling on the best approach to put a sub in my '06 DC, and I'm thinking about optimum sub placements. Some questions have fallen out of this noodling:

In general, do single-driver setups that fire forward sound pretty good in the DC? Or are there problems with standing waves/wave cancellation/interference with forward firing??

I ask because I'm thinking about alternative setups in which the driver fires toward the side wall or the back wall...but still keeping it all compact enough to fit behind the rear seat.

Ideas I was thinking about include using an 8" driver in a ported box firing toward the side wall (set back from the wall several inches). It would be a tight squeeze but I think it could be done.

Or alternatively, a very shallow 10" driver in a sealed low-profile wedge box firing toward the back wall (set back 2" from the rear wall--not enough room for much more of a gap than that).

Would either of these alternatives be worth trying, in the hunt for optimal acoustics? Or do forward-firing enclosures seem to sound fine??

2. Mar 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    My forward firing single 10" in a sealed enclosure sounds great. Actually, I was surprised at how well it worked out. My enclosure is placed in the center directly behind the rear seat with my amp rack behind the right rear passenger side. That way I could still utilize the storage bin behind the left rear passenger seat.:)

3. Mar 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. You actually answered another question I had, too -- I was wondering if it was okay (acoustically speaking) to have the driver centered along the back seat rather than offset to one side. Sounds from your post like it sounds just fine with it centered.

4. Mar 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I have a dual 10 setup and have had no noticable issues with standing waves.

5. Mar 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Unfortunately there is not enough room to fire an 8" sideways nor a 10" to the rear (not even a shallow mount due to the brace across the rear wall) unless you don't mind leaving your seat down all the time. :D In any case these trucks have excellent bass response with the sub enclosure up against the rear wall firing forward. :)

6. Mar 19, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies G-sak, sooner, and Marv.

The reason why I was concerned with the potential for standing waves/wave cancellation with the forward-firing sub is that I noticed that the factory JBL sub sounds WAY better with the windows rolled down than with the windows rolled up, suggesting that the reflected waves off the window glass are interfering destructively (cancelling each other out). Figured there might be similar problems with other aftermarket subs.

Marv, you are right about the lack of space, I stand corrected. I have a buddy who has a 6.5" Bazooka behind the rear seat in his DC and for some reason I was thinking it was an 8" tube ... which is why I thought an 8" custom side-firing setup might be able to fit. No dice.

I appreciate all your help and advice. I really wanted to have you build a box for me but my budget right now is limited to <$300 for the whole setup (amp, box, sub, wiring, etc) so I'm thinking I'm gonna give this all a go myself. We'll see what happens!

Products Discussed in

To Top