1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sub woofer clarity

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dunkhi, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    im running sony xplod (POS) and the JBL sound system speaker.

i have a jl 13tw5 and I'm so disappointed in it, i know its probably not the subwoofer or enclosure (got it from Marv) but either the head unit or speakers muddying up the sound.

basically im getting great sub response and it hits fine when im playing a song that has a dominant bass line like reggae. or synthesized bass lines like in some trance songs.

but anytime i listen to a song that has a kick drum that is mixed to a low frequency, or a techno song that has a constant quarter note hit, the sound quality depreciates a lot and sounds absolutely horrendous (sounds like something is ripping or falling apart)

if i switch the amp that powers my speakers off, and i step back and turn up my sub everything sounds great. but as soon as i turn the speakers back on its sounds like shit.

could it be because my head unit doesn't allow me to EQ the sub separately from the speakers and just control the system overall?
    or are the JBL speakers really that bad?

i am also randomly getting more sound coming out of the right side of my truck. and not my left. so many issues. if anyone can help clarify any of the problems i would appreciate it greatly. thanks.

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    put new front door speakers in. i had the same problem and now it sounds awsome

3. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    From my experience with systems, you really need a headunit to adjust your EQ, all of my systems I have built sounded like crap until I adjusted the EQ.

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    yea i only have one pre out. so i cant even control balance or fade.

what HU do u suggest i get if i want to get the best possible sound out of my subwoofer clairty and loudness?

5. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    00taco

00taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....
    i have a JVC headunit (only $110) and woork great i just turned up the hz on the amp to 3/4 max and then on the headunit -5 bass and +6 treble this way i get good highs and not much bass out of speakers so all bass comes from the sub therefore much clearer sound

hope this helps :)

6. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    sounds like your sub isn't traveling right and isn't getting deep. its just how sony is with their subs, they aren't really good quailty subs, like duals lol. If i were you go with a rockford fosgate

7. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    check the wiring and make sure they are all connected solidly. Kenwood makes good a HU.

I'm a little confused. Do you only have 1 amp powering your door speakers and sub?

8. Nov 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    no i have a 1000 watt amp powering the sub

and a 600 watt amp powering the speakers.

9. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    How do you have 2 amps connected to the HU with only one pre out?

10. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Coastal Taco

Coastal Taco Active Member

Member:
    Destin, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Magnaflow exhaust, AFE intake
    I have a Pioneer HU that comes with a mic that you plug in and let it set the system for you. I would guess other units do it too, mine was around $200 and the difference in sound when you let it set up the system is huge. I think a HU change would make a significant sound improvement for you.

11. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    they wired both amps together i guess into one RCA

ok cool. yea i want the 3 eq and stuff.

whats a good way to look for a HU becuase im not exactly sure what im looking for. i dont need anything flashy just quality

12. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    best way is to look throught the brands i guess (if online) ill list some for ya.
    JVC
    JL
    Pioneer
    Alpine
    Clarion
    Sony
    Kenwood

i knnow there is hundreds im misssing i just cant think of them right now. you could also look through websites like crutchfeild that have a big listing of all kinds of brands and such.

13. Nov 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    that's not good. you need an HU with a pre out just for the sub amp and another for the speaker amp. Otherwise it will send the high frequencies to the sub amp as well as the speaker amp and the low frequencies to the speaker amps as well as the sub amp.

Just get yourself a better HU and it should sound a lot better.

14. Nov 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    sweet ill take a look thanks

yea i just was hoping there was away around not getting a new HU cause those are a bit pricey : /

15. Nov 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Coastal Taco

Member:
    Destin, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Blowham is right on the money. Most head units that have multiple RCA's have a set dedicated to the sub for splitting out the low frequencies, and sending the rest to the other speakers. If you are running everything off one set, no wonder it doesnt sound like it should.
    Get a better HU and you will be all set. You dont have to spend a ton, just look for one with separate RCA's and you will be much better off.

16. Nov 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    3 pre outs right?

2 rcas?

17. Nov 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Coastal Taco

Member:
    Destin, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Yeah, most come with one set for the rears and one for the fronts, and then a separate set for the sub.

18. Nov 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    What's your LP xover setting for the sub? Have you tried going lower?

19. Nov 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    yea for now. instead of adjusting the sub to the speaker volume. i adjust the speaker volume to the sub. so the subs loud as shit. hi/mids are quiet. but its not as muddy or clipping anymore. temporary fix X/

Products Discussed in

To Top