1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subaru tweeters with active crossover?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JonWB, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Jan 16, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    JonWB

JonWB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Access Cab
    I went with the popular Premium Audio Upgrade for less than $250, but am now backtracking to a component system. I will be installing the Kicker 44KSS6704 component speakers in the active crossover Bi-Amp configuration with a Kicker Key180.4, instead of using the supplied passive crossovers.

Should I replace the Subaru tweeter for the tweeter included in the KS kit? From what I've read, they are essentially the same. Are there any issues with using an active crossover with a tweeter that has an integrated passive crossover already? Obviously it is more simple to just leave the Subaru tweeter in, but I don't want to do this unless there is no logical reason to replace it. If there is any benefit to sound quality to use the tweeter included with the KS set, that's what I want to do.

2. Jan 17, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    destin_meeks

destin_meeks I used to fix people's crappy stereos

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM DoubleCab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    You shouldn’t notice much difference. If you get it all in and it doesn’t sound quite right, swap them and call it a day :thumbsup:

3. Jan 17, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    DG92071

DG92071 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Installing a active crossover on a speaker that already has a passive crossover will work fine. The passive crossover point can't be lowered with an active crossover as the crossover point can only be raised unless the passive crossover is removed.

The Subaru tweeter is identical to the Kicker.

Most active crossovers are adjustable and I personally would remove the passive crossover so the active crossover can be utilized to its full potential.

There will be zero difference in sound between an active crossover and a passive crossover, or a active crossover used in conjunction with a passive crossover compared to either type by itself assuming the same crossover point and slope is used.

4. Jan 17, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    JonWB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Access Cab
  5. Jan 17, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I'd probably grab these and just snip the wires where they splice together
    https://www.amazon.com/RED-WOLF-2010-2019-Highlander-Replacement/dp/B07RMZ4CR6

then something like these for brackets
    https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Adapters-Tweeters-Subaru-Toyota/dp/B01BLMBHPW

Sherwin likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    JonWB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Access Cab
    Thanks for the links - I'll take a look.

7. May 17, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    Roskolokes

Roskolokes Active Member

Member:
    Ive been wondering about buying those tweeters vs a component. Why are you going component vs the way you had it?

8. May 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    JonWB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Access Cab
    I was not a fan of the 3-way coax in addition to dash tweeters. Way too much high end, and the sound stage was very confused. You really can’t compare the sound quality to a component set. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

9. May 18, 2020 at 6:12 PM
    Roskolokes

Roskolokes Active Member

Member:
    Wss lowering the treble not enough. What do you mean by soundstage? Like just stereo and fader? Or where instruments are supposed to sound like theyre coming from?

10. May 18, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    JonWB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Access Cab
    The second part. There’s a reason the stock tweeters are up in the dash, and the stock woofers in the door. It brings the stage up as opposed to sounding like the music is coming from your feet.

11. May 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    This is exactly why I’m not personally a fan of the “$250 upgrade”
    While definitely an upgrade compared to factory, it misses a few key points of how audio is meant to be heard. Just because a speaker fits doesn’t mean it should go there. However, many people love the upgrade and i will never tell anyone NOT to be happy with what they spent their money on, and I’m just glad people are upgrading in the first place.

As my prime example,
    We have speakers in the kitchen, which is connected to the living room, but only through about a 5’ opening To the rear-left of the sitting area. It is not “open concept.” These speakers are connected to the main speakers in the living room.

When the speakers in the kitchen are turned on, you can hear them coming from that doorway to the rear-left, and you also hear the sound from the main speakers on the sides of the tv. Hearing the audio from two different points is very odd to your ears and your brain doesn’t like it. If people dont know there are speakers in the kitchen, their brain doesn’t know to expect sound from that direction, and it makes them uncomfortable.

This concept carries over to the interior of a vehicle.
    Our ears expect audio to be at ear level, and they hear the audio from the dash speakers bounce off the glass and come in at ear level.
    HOWEVER
    With coaxial speakers in the door, they also hear audio coming from the floorboard they they don’t expect to hear from that direction. It hits your ears from a different angle and your brain doesn’t like having audio coming from high and low at the same time

This has been my very un-scientific and hopefully helpful explanation of why we use component speakers (with no tweeter down low in the door)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    JonWB[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
To Top