1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subs - Sundown Audio or Image Dynamics

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ToyoDrew, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Oct 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    I'll be honest, I didn't do a whole lot of searching yet, but can any of you give me an idea of how the Sundown Audio SD-3's compare to the IDQ10 subs from Image Dynamics in a sealed box?

Currently, I have the IDQ10 v3, but it was in a ported box. Now that I have my 2017 Taco, I plan on going with a sealed enclosure because I don't want to mess with the new cabin vents or the rear-window motor...plus I still want the storage behind the rear seat (on the driver's side).

I have been seeing many good reviews on the SD-3's in sealed enclosures since that's what they are specifically built for. I'm not looking for huge SPL (which is why I originally went with the IDQ), but I do like to feel the bass to some degree. :D

Based off what you know or have experienced, what do you guys think...how do these compare?

Cheers

2. Oct 5, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Can you even get the IDQ to fit back there? If so and you can find t/s parameters I'll model the 2 for you. Also need the airspace you'd use for the IDQ.

3. Oct 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    lol. Yes, the IDQ can fit once you remove the plastic backing of the seat and shave a little of the inside of the box next to the magnet. You can see pictures of it in my signature when I had it installed in my last Tacoma. Of course, this is all assuming that the dimensions of the cab and the seats are still the same. ;)

Anyways, for the smaller sealed box, I'm shooting for a net of .5 cu ft. It's on the smaller side of the recommended sizes for the IDQ, but I'd curious to know how they perform with the same space and power (500W RMS)!

Much appreciated!

4. Oct 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I briefly searched for those parameters, but they aren't readily available. The v2 is already in WinISD, so I'll model that instead.

5. Oct 5, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    SD3 in red, IDQ v2 in blue. Both at recommended power - ID is rated at 250W and the SD is rated at 500W. Both in .5 cube sealed enclosures. The v3 may model differently & if you can find the T/S parameters I'll give it another go.

SPL

[​IMG]

ToyoDrew[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 5, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I found this information on it...not sure if it has everything that you need tho.

IDQ10v3Info.jpg

7. Oct 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Le is missing, but somehow it passed the driver integrity check.

I also think they got their ported & sealed graphs backward in the FR graph above. Also never seen a company provide an FR graph with drivers in enclosures but not free air.

SPL

[​IMG]

Excursion

[​IMG]

Impedance

[​IMG]

ToyoDrew[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    hmm interesting food for thought. I just might end up going with Sundown...

Thanks for modeling these!!

Products Discussed in

To Top