1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subwoofer substitute?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MarinePhoenix2207, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    Does anyone know if there are any worthwhile speakers that act as a substitute to installing a sub/amp? I want subwoofer-like quality without the cumbersomeness of a sub/amp. I hope that makes sense.

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Substitute...? A rumbling V8 haha. There are some speakers that will put out a little bit of bass, bit nothing compares to a sub. I am terrible with speaker choices so I will just keep my mouth shut. Free bump anyway!

3. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
  4. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
  5. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
  6. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    those are powered ones, crutchfield has everything you could possibly want and the most audio info out there... check there site out

7. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    if you want a 12" most likely u will be needing to run an amp. There could be some powered 12" out there but the are pricey and I am not sure what u will be gaining over a 12, amp and box.

8. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    No.

9. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I have this same issue, i want a sub, but don't want to give up valuable storage space.

10. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    I want a better bump than the stock and would prefer not losing that storage space behind the rear seats, but if there isn't anything comparable, than I guess I'll just suck it up and put the sub back there.

11. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    No substitute

12. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    JL makes a stealth box that go's in the center console or you might be able to fit a slim sub under the seat I don't know how much room is under there but must slim subs only need 4" of depth.

13. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Well I've recently gone through this dilemma...I actually end up not finding a good way to fit ALL of my gear back behind the seats. Problem was, I wanted to reuse all my existing equipment from my BMW I sold, and the amps I had were MASSIVE...now way to fit it all back there AND a sub, I test-tried all configs before giving up on that idea. I ended up taking out the plastic panels, installing a giant MDF panel back there to mount everything up to, and mount my front component crossovers, 4 channel amp, LC6i line convetor unit, and a mono amp to power a sub. So...then I needed a sub. I had a Kicker 12 inch CVR from the BMW, which was challenging to find a way to install. I went out and bought a bunch of MDF from Lowe's with the intention of building a custom box that would form an L shape and fit over the trans tunnel and then go up into a rear "armrest", basically it would take up the rear middle "seat", which is so small and uncomfortable I figured as long as my two rear full size seats weren't interfered with too much I wasn't losing much. Before I built the custom box though, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Univer...6Y/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1285948989&sr=8-49

It said it was made for GMC's and stuff, but it did mention it'd fit the GMC Colorado, which is a smaller sized pickup, so I figued it'd be close enough. I went ahead and ordered it and got it in yesterday, and I was all excited when I test fit it and it *JUST* was able to fit in there, though the angle of the seat wasn't perfect. Only problem was, when I mounted my kicker in there, it was hitting the cupholders from the back of the front console. I figured I could use a router and cut a recess hole to "flush mount" the sub, which would have gave me the clearance I needed, but then I ran into depth issues with my sub, because it was at the limit (6.5 inch) of the box before trying to flush mount. For now, I compromised and I have the box sitting in there upside down, per se. Its sitting with the part that is supposed to be the armrest facing down, so the sub is sitting facing upwards in the middle of the rear seats. It doesn't really look right, but its working really well actually and both my rear seats are totally accessible, as well as the underseat compartments since I can move the sub box easily enough to get to either side. I'm debating on whether to try and modify this box a bit to get it to fit the way it was designed, but right now i'm just running around with it upside down and loving the sound results. Obcon does make a 10 inch box that might fit a little better if you are going to buy a new sub anyway, or you could get a pretty shallow mount sub like the Kicker CVT and flush mount it and be ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top