1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Success?!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jeverich, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Apr 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Sad news to report....my truck failed the inspection at Toyota of Newport.
    Should be receiving a $16,500.00 check from Toyota any day now. Question is - should I buy a used Taco or new?

I'm only 17 and I already have an $8,000 loan for the previous truck from my parents. Right now, I think that I will be able to put the full refund check $16,500 towards a different (used/new) Taco.

HELP......Any Suggestions????

-jake

2. Apr 3, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Need more info.... Why did your truck fail inspection? Why are you getting a $16,500 check from toyota?

I've noticed you have a 2000 Tacoma...but I can't understand why it would fail an inspection. It's only 8 years old.

Give us some more info.....

3. Apr 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    You'll never go wrong buying new. You can never tell if your getting somebody else's headaches when you buy used. But with that being said alot of people buy used. You just gotta find the good deal!

4. Apr 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    he had some frame recall from Toyota.

I'd go out and get an identical truck. Then do the recall. Before you know it, you'll be rolling in the rusty frames.

5. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Sorry for the complete lack of information within the first post. 3 weeks ago, I bought a 2000 SR5 V6 for $8,450.00. About two weeks after buying the truck, I found out about the poor steel/undercoating issues that have been presenting themselves in 95' - 00' Tacos.

Brought it up to Toyota of Newport (RI) today to have the frame evaluated for any rust penetration. At first, I was happy to see that inspection took only 5 minutes on the lift, because I figured that the frame must be in good condition. I was wrong, the tech said that he could punch a ball peen hammer right through the inside frame rail from the rear wheels to the front....

Toyota will be compensating me with about $16,500.00 - not too shabby for a $8,450 investment.

My question is - my only option at this point will be to buy a used Taco....I think that new will be out of the question at this point in time.

Any suggestions?...I'd like to try to find a 01' or newer Taco, need 4WD and would really like V6...

I hate the thought that I have to send a great truck to the junkyard, but the $16,500 check kind of makes me feel a little 'less sad'

Thanks,
    jake

6. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    So... You paid $8450 for a truck.... now Toyota is paying you $16,500 for it?? $8050 profit?? IS your name Donald Trump?....

7. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Yes, I think that I could say I 'lucked out'

Now I have to find another truck

8. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Thats cool, get something around the same price ill say 10k-11k maybe, use the rest for mods :D

9. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    brob1975

brob1975 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab, Long Bed TRD Sport
    Tonneau Cover, All Weather Floor Mats
    Off lease vehicles are good to look at too, not sure how many people actually lease pickups, but unless the leaser was retarded they normally take care of them, becase they have to pay for damage, and the milage is fairly low...I bought my wifes former car a few years ago, Maxma (went for 32,000 new) had 23K miles on it and got it for 18,000...you definately have make sure you inspect it really well though.

10. Apr 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
  11. Apr 3, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Do you NEED the V6 or the cramped back seat? For 2000 more you could be in a brand new I4 with no miles on it. Between the lower insurance and better MPGs you would make up the difference in price within 2 years and in the long run you'll be ahead of the game. :)

12. Apr 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Wow....and...weird. I've read about the rust warrantte that recently came out, but I never followed the thread to know exactly what it involved.
    Is it just me? I find this kinda weird....

Before accepting the cash, I'd make 110% sure you are in full understanding of whatever it occuring. I mean.... What's the fine print? It's awesome if they're giving you that much and you can simply walk away with it.

Anyone who's been following all the Leaf Spring TSB's and the folks who are having a hard time getting that done - makes ya wonder what exactly is going on with Toyota.....?

Obviously, you get the cash and they keep the truck..... and what do they do with the truck? Put a new frame under it and resell it? Or are they getting into a new 'used parts' market?

(sorry, off the wall thoughts.....)
    For your sake - I hope you're able to get the cash and run. Or - are you required to buy another toyota vehicle as part of the fine print?

13. Apr 4, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    they crush the trucks.... sucks ... but its them covering their rears

Products Discussed in

To Top