1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions: Double Cab or Access Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EddieBlake1985, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jun 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    EddieBlake1985

EddieBlake1985 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BMW 328i
    Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of buying a 2015 Tacoma but I'm conflicted with which model I should get: the Double Cab or Access Cab. I don't have any kids or much family to tote around. I do have a few dogs that could easily fit in an access cab, but the future planner in me says I should go with a Double Cab.

By the way, this is my first Tacoma purchase. I'm trading in my BMW 328i for this and more than than likely will go with the 2015 or maybe wait a month for the 2016. I'm really excited so I probably won't wait for the 2016.

Have any of you guys gone with one or the other and regretted the purchase down the road?

Thanks for any suggestions, advice. Also, seeing how the new 2016 is just around the corner, what's a good asking price on the 2015 model? What do you guys consider fair?

E. Blake

2. Jun 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Most folks on here seem to opt for the double cab. I've had my AC for almost 2 years and am completely satisfied with my choice. I would say that your engine choice might play a role in your choice. I wanted the 2.7/ auto and everything I read indicated the the double cab might be a little heavy for the combo. For me, it was just further confirmation of my access cab choice.

3. Jun 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Need more info..... Are you married? If yes... What does she drive??

My husband and I don't have kids and don't have family to haul around either. My husband drives an SUV so I don't need the extra seats = Access Cab.

Are you planning on having kids anytime soon? - If yes...well....you'll need the backseat for child safety seats.

What are you doing with the truck?? My husband and I wanted / need the full size bed. We use it all the time for yardwork and misc family projects. A double cab long bed is out of the question for us...too long and won't fit in the garage.

Access Cab has been perfect for us. So for me.....Needed 6foot bed. Don't need extra seats. Double cab long too big.

Believe me....I spent 7 years parking outside. I FINALLY got a garage bay for my truck this past year. It is soooooooooooooooooooooo damn nice going to work in the morning without having to scrape snow off!!!!!

4. Jun 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
  5. Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Welcome to TW!Thought about a AC when i looked into buying my Tacoma in 2012.Made the right choice with the DC and i wanted the TRD sport so it all worked out!You'll be thankful when you need the additional interior room!

6. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    bacollier90

bacollier90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB 4x4 Cement
    If you think you'll ever need to haul people go with the DC.

7. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    John4x4

John4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 V6
    2.25 inch procomp leveling kit
    Where are you located DC's better in the snow

8. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Best looking is the shorty cab with 6' bed and 4x4... next is the Access Cab. Double cab is a great truck but definitely not as cool looking as the either of the other two.

9. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:53 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    I almost went with an AC before buying mine. I liked the look of it better but once I started looking at the rear area with the smaller seats, I went with a DC. I'm married with no children, but I do haul people every now and then. I went to future proof myself and went with the DC. Nobody on here can really tell you what you need, only what they think. Best thing to do is check out both and maybe even test drive both just to get a feel for them.

bacollier90 likes this.
  10. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    Not really any downsides to the double cab unless you have a tight parking situation. I'm 22 years old, single, with no kids and have no regrets getting the double cab. I wanted the best of both worlds so I got the long bed also.

11. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    Jtac15

Jtac15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long island
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trd OR
    Double cab all the way. Even with out kids its great for the extra room. Has great storage in and under the seats. Great if you do have passengers. Very ample room for adults. In my opinion you wont regret the double cab. Also looks a little nicer

12. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    Graffin

Graffin Taco Lover

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '23 DCLB TRD Off Road (White)
    I originally wanted an access cab, but the dealer didn't have exactly what I was looking for (V6, 4x4, Automatic), so I started looking a lot more closely at the double cab. I drove it and ended up loving it. I'm glad I went with it.

What I lost in bed space I more than made up with interior hauling space. The back seats fold down for even more room to carry stuff. About the only time I'm sad about the 5 foot bed is when I'm hauling 8 foot pieces of lumber.

Only you can decide what's best for you, but I'd suggest at least giving the double cab some consideration.

I should add that my previous Tacoma was an '02 with the extended cab. I enjoy the double cab a lot more, and I loved that truck.

13. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    530Taco

530Taco Gone fishin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Old Hangtown, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR MT Cement
    Had a DCSB and have an AC now... I built a dog bench in the back of the AC and she fits perfectly, I prefer the 6 ft bed over the back seat. No kids, just a lady and a dog. Just got back from a camping trip, didn't even notice the loss of cab space, everything fit in the bed so much better with the LB. I do miss the real doors, the suicide doors on the AC are a pain... I won't have an AT though, so I was stuck between AC or DCSB...if it was an option DCLB6SPDFTMFW!

14. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    My first Tacoma was a 14 DCLB prerunner SR5 black. I traded it in this past January on a 15 AC 4x4 TRD OR in MGM. I like the long bed, but missed having 4wd when needed. AC have the long bed which IMO is more useful if you actually haul "stuff". I have a toolbox to store things in the bed, and with a short bed, it would leave me with little bed space for stuff. With the AC you can actually reach back and open/close the sliding back window, double cab, no way. I never opened the slider in the DC, I do all the time in the AC. I use this truck for work 99% of time, no need for passenger hauling. We have a car for family trips. AC has a shorter wheelbase and fits in my garage when needed, DCLB would not fit. Just my $0.02.

530Taco likes this.
  15. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    530Taco

530Taco Gone fishin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Old Hangtown, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR MT Cement
    X2!
    Failed to mention that, I love my slider now!!

JimboAnz[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    I vote access cab. I think the short beds look wierd, and the double cab long beds are way too long. Ac in my opinion is the best looking.

17. Jun 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    travis.diller

travis.diller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    IMO, The ONLY downside to a double cab is the bed length, it is very short. I have a first gen but its really not THAT much different in dimensions. The back seat is great, I rarely carry people so I removed the back seat and installed a set of drawers and a refrigerator back there. It can be accessed by the passenger (wife), its great for drinks/ snacks on the road. I personally don't like 2 door vehicles, for slightly more weight of 2 more doors you can access things kept in the back seat from the outside. There is MORE than enough room to put gear you want to keep secure or out of the dust. It is really personal preference. I find access cabs just a void of not very useful space. I vote D-cab all the way.

18. Jun 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    DoubleRGirl

DoubleRGirl Hello Kitty Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 6speed
    i drove my boyfriend's access cab f150 for aboug 4k miles and i HATED having to open my door to put something in the backseat, or let someone in or out. that's why i went double cab on mine

19. Jun 30, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    I prefer the look of the access cab, but nothing beats the practicality of the double cab.

20. Jun 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    VandalTaco

VandalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Moscow/Idaho falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD SPORT
    OME 887 lift, 16" XD addicts, 285 duratracs, leather seats, badass JL/Focal stereo
    The double cab is awesome for space. I don't carry other people often, but I use the back seat for random shit all the time. I think it looks better than the AC too :crapstorm:

Products Discussed in

To Top