1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions for a 5000k LED high beam to match XD 5000K HID in low beam

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by radhakrish, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jul 14, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    radhakrish

radhakrish [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi There,

I recently installed a XD 5000K low beam kit with a version of Hilux 35W ballast. I also have a Diode Dynamics SS3 Yellow Sport Fog light.

Can you please let me know if there are any good ~5000K LED bulb choices for high beam (to match the 5000K HID in low beam)?

This is what I came across so far...

1. Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 & DD SL1 are good choices in the ~5200K color temperature range (as per bulbfacts.com).

Not sure, if I need such a quality / $$ high beams when low beam & fogs are already of good quality & providing good amount of light.

2. In the Halogen lineup, there are a couple of Osram cool blue choices in the ~4700K range (again as per bulbfacts.com), but, you loose about 25 - 35% of light output to get that color.

Please let me know what you have come across.

Thanks.

XD 5000 HID with Hilux ballast & DD SS3 Yellow Sport Fog.jpg

2. Jul 16, 2020 at 11:03 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I’d suggest checking out the 3rd Gen headlight thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-hid-vs-led-vs-halogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/

Morimotos are far higher than 5200k, I have them closer to 6000k. I’m not aware of any 5000k replacement LEDs. But why try an match high beams? No one will see it to notice, in which case I’d go for best performing which are the Hikari Ultras as covered in the above thread, see post #3 for numerous LED reviews. No halogens will perform well at 5000k, the filtration losses will be too great. Stock bulbs will perform way better than a 5000k halogen.

3. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    radhakrish

radhakrish [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks a lot (for your excellent original post), it makes sense (to go for actual output & performance than color match).

And, what do you think about Katana (F2 style) for high beam?

4. Jul 17, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    In LEDs you get what you pay for. Cheap off brand LEDs from Amazon tend to perform very poorly, despite what the ads and reviews say. The output specs are way over inflated and most all reviewers do not know what to look for. A great example is the Beamtech LEDs covered in post #3 of the linked thread, they received great reviews on amazon with high output claims in the ad, despite putting out significantly less light than stock. The Katana say they have an ultra slim design at 3.45mm, but that is actually quite poor for LEDs. The Hikari Ultras are much thinner at 2.6mm. In short I wouldn’t waste your money. Buy the right thing the first time as it is more expensive to buy it twice.

Products Discussed in

To Top