1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions for transmission fluid change on a 95 Tacoma Manual Shift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coolstone, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Apr 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    coolstone

coolstone [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Simon
    Vehicle:
    1995 Red Tacoma Manual 2Dr Extended Cab Front Drive
    Thanks to Dalandser for the video and I fixed it and finished all fluids replacement!!! I bought the same impact gun from harbor freight for $37.99 with super coupon ~~

Only one issue with the brake fluid replacement:

I should remove all the tires off before I started the replacement, but was too hurry due to the rain. And I found I couldn't remove the nuts from the wheel studs on the left rear tire. So I bleed all other three tires brake fluid without this one.

Later I went to a tire shop asking the tech to remove the nuts and put it back. I guess the impact wrench I bought doesn't have that much power as their air impact gun which has 8500rpm. Mine only have 2100 rpm and 230 ft. lb..

So I plan to do all over again when I am available next week. Any suggestion?

2. Apr 26, 2017 at 9:27 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Breaker bar. Like this or whatever size your sockets are.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-00206A-Drive-Premium-Breaker/dp/B001222378

I always retorque anything guys do on my truck that tight. Lug nuts should be at 85 ft*lbs which is pretty easy to loosen up with a breaker bar. Your impact gun probably doesn't do an honest 230 ft*lbs or you'd have no problem removing he lug nuts even if they were set at 100 ft*lbs like a lot of shops go with for them. Even the $200ish impact guns I was looking at had reviews complaining about lack of torque in certain circumstances. A breaker bar will get you all the torque you need for any nut that isn't absolutely fused on and then you'd need penetrating fluid or heat anyway - not just a tool on its own.

3. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    coolstone

coolstone [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Simon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again! Always got help from you~~

I will buy it and try~~ I got some problem removing my 05 HONDA CRV's rear differential bolts~ rusty and dirty..

One more question though, when I tried to change the auto transmission fluid on my Toyota Sienna a few days ago, yeah, it's service time... The drain bolt is also rusty, and requires a 6 mm hex to remove it - I knew that later. But when I tried, I didn't find a perfect fit hex, so I used a little small one. It was too hard to loosen it, so I use the Impact wrench, the result is that the hex runs in the bolt, wore out some of the inner wall while the drain bolt is still there.

So I am stunned now... so what's the best way to proceed now?

Many many thanks~~

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Spin Drift

Spin Drift Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 2.7L
    5.29 gears Arb lockers
    Oh man most of us have probably all gone through these painful lessons but you are just getting them all at once.

To get the plug out there are a few tricks. You can try a torx bit socket by tapping one in with a hammer. You could also buy extractors. One trick that has worked for me sometimes is to use a chisel (not the woodworking type). There is a video on youtube by Eric the car guy that shows this and other tricks.

Do yourself a big favor and stop using the impact so much until you gain more experience. Use it for wheels and stuff but then put it away and save yourself some headaches. I never use one on drain plugs.

I think it's great that you are tackling these challenges and trying to learn. If I lived near you I would offer to come and help. If you could find someone to mentor you a little bit it would sure make things go easier.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  5. Apr 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    +1 try to use hand tools and the impact for speeding up things you've already done. If works comes to worst go to a shop with a nut if you have one lying around and have them weld it onto the plug so you can use a socket on it. I had to do this with a diff plug in a junk yard diff I bought that had an allen hex plug that was fubar'd and it got the job done.

6. Apr 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I have mt90 in my trans and noticed no difference in shifting. You can also get penzoil syncromesh, its rated to be used in chrysler manuals, specifically the ax15 spd which is the same trans thats in our tacomas, its way cheaper than mt90 and you can find it at most auto parts stores.

7. Apr 27, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    coolstone

coolstone [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Simon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Spin Drift and
    slander
    for your suggestions~~

Yeah, new guy try to save some $$ on three cars which need services at 60k, 120k and 180k. It's worthy especially I have lots of tools left and experiences and lessons learned!!:bananadead::angrygirl::bucket:

I will try your tricks in near future and save my impact in stock... time to buy tools, I think I can save a lot in future this way..

Will come back if I get other issues, hope not.

Simon

8. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    Spin Drift

Spin Drift Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 2.7L
    5.29 gears Arb lockers
    Yes the tools can pay themselves off very quickly sometimes even after the first use. Just make sure you buy good quality. You don't need to go snapon but get at least westward or better.

Products Discussed in

To Top