1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions for UCA?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hitmans.army, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army [OP] Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I am going to be installing a 2.5-3" suspension lift on my 07 Pre-Runner DCSB. I already have a AAL and spacer kit, but decided not to use the spacers after more and more review. I plan to get a pair of 5100s for the front and am looking at new UCAs also. I mean, its just money right? But worth the extra to have it right the first time.....
    Now to my question. With the above mentioned setup, what would you suggest for a new UCA set. I have looked at T.C., L.R., and a couple others. I have also looked at the 1" ball, and the stock type balljoint. Price difference I have noticed is $400-$700.
    This is not something I need RIGHT NOW, but would want waiting for me when I get back to the States. So, I ask for your opinion, and if you already have one installed, pictures if possible.... Thanks.

2. Aug 4, 2011 at 2:47 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    I have 5100's set at .85 with Eibach coils and got a full 3" of lift. I bought LR uca's but never installed them because my alignment is perfect. No highway wandering or uneven tire wear. No issues at all.

3. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    cotruckin

cotruckin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, CO.
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100 Lift with rear 1" blocks, ARE Z series topper with Yakima rack and Rola basket, some audio equipment, some more goodies
    I just ordered a set of the Built Right UCA's yesterday that are the Uni-ball style. I can't wait to get them, but it is another brand to check out and the cheapest Uni-ball style I have seen so far.

4. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm happy with my LR UCA's and wanted to get the sealed ball joint due to our weather conditions

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Oz. As far as the sealed style, you haven't experienced any binding from the ball joint have you? I talked to a guy who said that he was getting some binding from another brand that used stock "style" ball joints..... Thanks for the input guys.

6. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    cotruckin

cotruckin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, CO.
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100 Lift with rear 1" blocks, ARE Z series topper with Yakima rack and Rola basket, some audio equipment, some more goodies
    Must have been the Camburg ones, I think LR and Camburg are the only ones that have the stock style ball joints.

7. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have not , but I am no extreme offroader either , I guess it all depends on how the truck is used as well .

I got UCA's to make sure I could get a correct alignment after my lift install .

8. Aug 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    Ok. I did some more checking. How does this sound. From Wheelers. LR UCA, 5100s, and OME 885s. I'll go ahead and get the 3* shims and carrier bearing drop kit just incase. Maybe the Beefed Blocks drop kit, seems better than just blocks/shims.

9. Aug 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Sounds good. What are you doing for the rear? You will love the Light Racing UCAs. They get your alignment perfect, keep the crap out in winter, and are plenty strong. When you compare them to the stock UCAs it'll blow your mind how much more is there. The stock ones seem like toys in comparison.

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
  11. Aug 7, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    The LR ball joint has much more range of motion than the stock units. I believe Nuebs tested them against other aftermarket ones and found they offer roughly the same range of motion. There is a thread on here somewhere that states that...

12. Aug 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    So far for the rear I have the 2" AAL, and a new pair of shocks, I will probably end up getting Bilsteins for the back also to match everything up. It will be a few months, but when I get the swap started, I will be sure to put up some pics. The truck will mainly be a street queen, with some offroading after I get a LSD for the back. But it will be towing a trailer with my '40 so I will probably do more work on the back, like air bags for when I have it hooked up.

13. Aug 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Can't complain with my DSM's so far, but I haven't gotten a chance to offroad them yet. No clearance issues on the coilovers, they're close, but the uniball bottoms out first.

[​IMG]

14. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    I kept looking at the uni-ball style, but the rust/pitting issue is what got me. I live along I5 between two passes, always gets sprayed in the winter and I may be moving to Colo next year so decided to get the stock style balljoint, plus it was a little cheaper so I will be able to get a couple more parts.... Brian, did you paint your grill surround yourself or did you order it? I have the full chrome grill (surround and center bars) but want to get rid of it.

15. Aug 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    I have just purchased a set of camburg's from wheelers and will be installing them this weekend. I chose them because of the ball joint style they accept. The one that you could install the toyota ball joint into. I am gonna buy some moog ball joints (cause greaseable ) and put them into the arms. I too live in the salt for the winter ( ontario ) and need the sealed type. I did not choose the LR cause they will only accept there own ball joint and not a "factory" one. In the years to come when the joint needs replacing I want to be able to buy it locally and not be dependent on "one" manufacturer. Just my $.02

Products Discussed in

To Top