1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sumo spring for 2nd gen

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Tacoche, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Feb 25, 2023 at 5:38 AM
    Tacoche

Tacoche [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd sport
    3rd gen trd sport suspension
    I’ve bought blue sumo spring for my 2nd gen trd sport. The rear is sagging when i load the bed for fishing/hunting trip.

I dont know if they will soften with time but right now during the winter ( -20°C here right now) its like running on steel block. I have 3rd gen leaf pack with fox 2.0 shock in rear.

the blue sumo spring touch the frame with no weight in the bed. I dont know if i’ll keep them install. The road are trash up here and each bump hurt really bad, especially at low speed

2. Apr 12, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    Anton_FRO

Anton_FRO Front Runner Rep

Member:
    First Name:
    Anton
    Agoura Hills
    Vehicle:
    5 lug slug
    Damn that really sucks!

I also just installed my Blue Sumos and I've felt some of what you're describing. I'm guessing that the -20C temp might be contributing to the negative experience, these things are just foam at the end of the day. If you're loading more than 1000lbs, they may be at their limit but honestly, I have no clue.

How heavy is the load you're carrying in your bed?

From my experience, unloaded, it is in fact much stiffer, but I have racks and gear mounted 24/7:
    Retrax Bed Cover ~90lbs
    Front Runner Bed Rack ~65lbs
    FR RTT ~95lbs
    Misc Rack Gear ~20lbs
    -------------------------
    Total constant bed weight = 250lbs - 270lbs

With this load, I'd say that the Blue Sumos are quite nice in my experience! I thought the rear end was waay too loose before and now I can actually feel and know what's going on with the terrain. I actually was hitting some huge speedbumps I ran into the other day(for shits and giggles) and it was sooo much better than the stock bumps.
    These speedbumps were big enough to catch air and break parts at low speeds, I swear they had to be at least 12" tall and like 3' long.
    I wasn't paying too much attention to my speed (maybe ~20-30mph) but no sudden jolts at full compression, just a "gummy" deceleration of the suspension travel!

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out though! If you're experiencing temps that low, I would check out Roadmaster Active Suspension or SuperSprings. But then again, depending on what that would run you, you may just want heavier-duty leaf springs.

3. Apr 13, 2023 at 2:14 AM
    Tacoche

Tacoche [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd sport
    3rd gen trd sport suspension
    Most of the time the bed is empty. I load the bed with maybe 300-350lbs of stuff 4-5 time a year. This is why at first ive try the sumo. Not enough to buy a full leaf pack but when i do, the rear is sagging and not really fun to drive

4. Apr 14, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    I'm no suspension expert, but if the rear is sagging with only 350lbs, you should look into replacing the leaf springs. I have blue sumo springs and they are jarring at first, but either they break in, or I got used to them. I forget they're there 99% of the time.

JGO likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top