1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Super Charger with High Mileage Engine?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Bishop2Queens6, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Jan 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Currently own a 2009 DCSB 4x4 with the 4.0L V6 with 220,000 Miles on the clock which I've owned since new. I've done all the service myself on time Full Synthetic fluids.

I'm now in a position to financially afford a forced induction which could be any variety such as the TRD super charger (which I know is discontinued) or URD kit.

My question is: Does my engine have too many miles to pursue FI?

Reasons for looking at FI:

1) I'm towing more (19-ft travel trailer, 4200 lbs GVRW)
    2) Weight on the vehicle due to armor (bumpers,sliders) are hampering performance
    3) Hauling more (bed loads of firewood and camping equipment when travel trailer isn't viable)

Thank you.

2. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Compression test it.

If it runs top notch, it will be fine.

jojotoo and inwood customs like this.
  3. Jan 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Fyi

While toyota stopped selling them, magnuson stills manufactures them minus the silly lil "trd" on top.

QMEDJoe and jojotoo like this.
  4. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Just a comment. I have a supercharger and I dont think it really helps with towing that much. I mean yeah it accelerates a little faster when loaded, but it guzzles fuel much worse and technically puts more stress on the engine while doing so. That said it will make your everyday divability much better, but it wont erase the load you have behind you. You still feel every bit of it.

I love the supecharger, but as a towing tool i question its value. For fun and every day stuff its awesome. I believe if you were wanting to tow that camper very regularly, i would get axle gears. Others may be able to chime in on their expirience. Or you could go full boat and get gears and a supercharger.

5. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    I recently bought a supercharger to help with some recently added weight as well as towing a boat, Im interested how you came to this conclusion, and interested to hear others thoughts on this...

Also for O.P. I know this is a 3.4l and its been on his since early on, but a good example of a high mileage taco with supercharger:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ion-reg-cab-545-000-plus-build-thread.478395/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    1997tacomav6 likes this.
  6. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.

Experience. I have used my tuck for towing my 21’ boat on a dual axle trailer (5,500 lbs when geared up)and other miscellaneous items since day 1. The supercharger made the truck quicker on the bottom end when towing the boat thats for sure. In town driving is cake. Its when you are getting up to speed (30-65mph) it grabs a ton of boost to get you going. You can tell it doesnt like it and its not like you are getting there much quicker. The supercharger also does no improve chassis dynamics so you are still not getting that when towing a larger load. When towing my boat at 65 on the highway i average 9.7mpg over a few hundred miles.

In my opinion the added strain is not really worth it at that point. When on the highway with my setup, the supercharger did not improve my expirience. I would not purchase it for just improvd towing.

Not towing my boat its fine. Towing the wheelers is also fine and some ther stuff. So i guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are near max load, i dont see any benefit. Even with a tiny aluminum trailer and 1 wheeler, my fuel economy drops to 11mpg.

I average 17.5 most the time in daily driving.

cdelgado14 likes this.
  7. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Also the fuel thing, the new injectors are much larger than stock and specifically designed to dump more fuel to match the increased air. Hence crap fuel ecnomy when towing.

8. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Wow, Thats pretty terrible. I have a small 17' aluminum boat and single axle trailer and only tow it about 50 miles to and from lake, hopefully not as drastic of a difference.

9. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Oh,......you wont know its there lol. You'll still probably hit 12-13 mpg tho.

excorcist[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Just crossed 550,000 miles on my 20 year old supercharger, rebuilt every 150,000 miles. They keeeep going and going and getting 20mpg consistently not towing of course. If you do any towing your mileage will go down the toilet.
    Mpg with supercharger is 20 mpg
    Mpg with trailer is 12 mpg double axle trailer, is like Dragging a brick wall behind you

IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_7801.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  11. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    But I like the silly TRD on top...

:pout:

12. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Aside from MPGs...how is drivability while towing? Does supercharger help there? Make the heavy load more manageable on hills, while passing, etc..?

Edit: Oh and also, how do you decide its time for a rebuild on the s/c? Or do you just plan on 150k as an interval?

13. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Absolutely it does for me, but I have my engine putting out more than normal power around 300hp compared to 190 stock for the 3.4 v6

14. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Usually your snout, nose bearing will go out around 150,000 give or take and I just have a complete rebuild done for all bearings and seals and recoating the rotors for 1000.00, then I know I'm good for another 150,000

15. Jan 21, 2018 at 2:03 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Boost is load dependent.
    As in engine load.

Low load, no boost.... same mpg as non supercharged.

The blower uses 1/3 hp when its in bypass mode (low load).

Key-Rei likes this.
  16. Jan 21, 2018 at 2:05 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Ppl pay a premium for that sometimes, even when the same item sans trd label is cheaper.

17. Jan 21, 2018 at 2:38 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Yes but the TRD makes it go up to 11. It's exactly 1 faster for it.

18. Jan 21, 2018 at 3:00 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    So do klipsch subwoofers, but they aint that great

75530955550f43d70679_f00555bab561c8afeea6068f2ca49d733a8deefd.jpg

19. Jan 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
  20. Jan 21, 2018 at 3:07 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD

Products Discussed in

To Top