1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharged engine running hot

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Murphinator, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Aug 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    Hey all,

So first off let me state that around where I live I haven't had an issue, my coolant has been staying around 178-194 around ttown driving. My problem has been occuring on my last two trips. One to Arizona/nevada. Some mild offroading and then driving through town my engine and trans were getting pretty warm. Engine hit 210 F and tranny got to Like 232. When stopped at red lights my ac would blow warm humid air. Now fast foward to this last Monday. I went out to Las Vegas and after some freeway driving on the offramp the truck started to warm up again. Stopped at a red light ac started blowing warm again. This time engine temps were around 205-210, trans only got up to 215-220ish.

I have done some searching on here and it is leading me to believe this is not normal. One thread the guy had some mud in his radiator and that seemed to solve his issue, though his temps were much higher than mine.

Also would like to mention I never had this issue before the supercharger. Truck purchased at 47,500 miles, supercharger installed at 50,147 miles. When I had the supercharger installed I did a full coolant flush and also a full trans fluid flush.

Yesterday I had the ac system looked at, it says they recovered 1.34 Lbs and put in 1.39, that's only .05 lbs difference. I don't think that is the cause of my hot temps and air not working.

So I checked the fan clutch today, from what I have read on how to check it, it doesn't lead me to believe anything is wrong with it. It has a lot of resistance when I try to spin the fan, and not much side to side play.

I am currently trying to "clean" out my radiators, not too sure the best way to do it and actually I am trying to figure out how to remove the fan and shroud so I can really get in there and clean things up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, would like to solve this before it ruins my head gasket. Not sure those temps would cause that big of an issue but in my mind it certainly can't be good for it.

Also could it be a bad radiator cap? Just thought of this right now, noticed some residue under my cap, not sure if it is normal or what. Here is a pic of itIMG_7733.jpg

Edit:
    Truck is currently at 57,093 miles.
    It has the trd reflash done
    Nothing is currently leading me to believe the truck is running overly lean while driving.
    Also the waterpump was replaced at 50,147 miles when the supercharger was installed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Aug 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Sounds like the fan ain't pulling air like it should. Verify correct fan operation. Verify proper coolant level.

klevbot and Murphinator[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Sounds like the fan clutch is blown

Murphinator[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    Coolant is full. How do you suggest I check the fan? Put news paper behind it when the engine is up to temp?
    there is a lot of resistance when I try to spin the fan with the engine off, from what I've read it leads me to believe the fan clutch is doing its job.:notsure:

jp59inh likes this.
  5. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    I would yank the fan and shroud, and spray the crap out of the fins from the backside. Use degreaser too as there may be road grime stuck in the fins.

Be sure to do a very thorough inspection to verify there are no more coolant marks like you see on the side of the radiator anywhere else on the engine.

Last, replace that radiator cap. It's easy, cheap, and probably the most important piece to the cooling puzzle.

If these things do not work, maybe it's time for a full service. Water pump, thermostat, etc

6. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    Ah I knew I was forgetting something in my main post. When they installed the super I also had the water pump replaced with a new oem part. Im trying to take the fan off right now I am a little stuck trying to reach these four bolts. Would really like to do it with out taking off any of my main radiator hoses but I'm not sure I can pull it off. Thanks for the suggestions I will look around the engine and see if I see any like that.

7. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    riverrockar

riverrockar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport INFERNO
    I'll say this, if coolant is full, and rad isn't plugged up with crap in fins, you likely have a thermostat starting to go.

RyanL, Murphinator[OP] and Exracer2 like this.
  8. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Based on the very little info we have I wouldn’t immediately say it is the fan clutch unless someone knows something regarding the little info given. What are the outside temps normally and the temps when this happens? You have listed mileage of purchase and install but not current mileage. Do we assume the issue happened at mile one after the install?

I would agree with others at the possibility of a fan clutch due to (If I am making the right assumptions based on incomplete information) the issue happening while at slow or no speed with no air flow through the rad from motion. If I read correctly the problem doesn’t happen when in motion. But this could just be the system at the limit of its capacity and the elevated temps are causing this. Have experienced it lots of times with a perfect system. There is a limit and since you added the SC you may have exceeded the limit of the trucks cooling system capacity and it only shows when you experience elevated outside temperatures.

If the SC system is starving for fuel it will run hot. Fuel has two jobs in a motor. One is for power when being ignited and the other is cooling. Too little fuel and it will run hot from a lean mixture and then evaporate the fuel which leans out the mixture further. Not knowing your install or TRD SC’s specifically I don’t know enough to comment further.

Just because you flushed your system doesn’t mean it isn’t plugged. I had a tractor that had a full system flush and was gone over in every way. After removing the rad again I ran a garden hose through the rad cap end and more pilled out the top than ran out the bottom. That proved the rad was plugged even though it look new inside. I soaked it in CLR (calcium lime rust remover) overnight with a hose joining upper and lower hose mounts. In the morning I drained and flushed the system. Chunks of lime came out of this clean looking rad. Never had an issue again.

9. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    You can probably do a very good job without removing it, but a better job if you can.

10. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    tw0leftskis

tw0leftskis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    0xApes
    Meta Verse
    Vehicle:
    When was the last time you did a complete coolant drain and fill? Use distilled water to dilute the concentrate coolant
    Might want to start with coolant drain and fill first and possibly try a lower temp thermostat.
    If you can get access to infrared thermometer,t could be used to check the surface of the radiator how well it's cooling. Possibly couple of the fins maybe plugged/clogged.

11. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    the truck is sitting at 57,093 miles as of today.
    The outside temps when this happened the first time was 114, and the most recent time it was about 105 out. I do not have an afr gauge but my ultragauge reads the stock lambada readings, it does not seem to be to lean but then again I am not crrtain how accurate these readings are. I have the trd reflash with the magnuson super, basically identical to the trd kit just does not say trd. I will buy some more coolant and see about running a garden hose through the rad. I don't know much about the trucks previous life only that the previous owner got the oil changed on time while they had it and always at the toyota dealer.

Sorry for not including enough info, if there is anything else I should include let me know.

12. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    When they installed the super they had to drain most of the coolant so I had them drain the whole system and replace it with new toyota coolant

Norton likes this.
  13. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    Prob the supercharger, just tear it off and I'll trade you for a stock intake manifold ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mine gets hot from time to time but my main issue is hot intake temps and 37" tires with my driving style :mudding:

Murphinator[OP] and MrCrowntown like this.
  14. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Since this is a recent event and the temps are very hot it could simply be an overtaxed cooling system. Does the transmission oil use a common cooler in the main rad? If so I would get a separate stand alone transmission cooler. That way you can remove some of the additional cooling load from the rad. (This obviously applies IF the transmission uses a shared cooler /rad).

I would check the rad for blockages as previously mentioned. Thermostat could be an issue but I would expect it to happen much more often and at lower temps as well as those at the extreme limits that you have experienced. Fan clutch while still a possibility is lower on my list of probability. Still check it but make sure you do the rest of the suggestions first.

Now comes the tough one to examine. When it happens turn OFF AC. The AC dumps heat from the coil usually in front of the rad meaning the cooling air is already hotter than normal. Because of this with the AC on you effectively handicap the cooling system. With the AC system tapping out as well as the high water temps I think it is simply too hot for the cooling system to keep up. If your rad is clean and flowing well, thermostat checks fine, fan clutch etc then you might just have to buck up for a larger custom rad. More heat from the SC might just mean that in your location this is the only way to really solve the issue.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  15. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
  16. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    loginfailed

loginfailed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4WD
    On mine the temp creeps up when you're not moving. Supercharger, UCON w/170* thermostat. The longer it sits at idle, the higher the temps get.

I think it's just that it's really freakin' hot weather and the clutch fan doesn't move much air at idle. Add a supercharger cooler in front of the radiator and it just it makes matters worse.

I'm planning to move to electric fans to get more air at idle. Removing the clutch fan is also good for some horsepower gains as well

17. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    Espoitis

Espoitis Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Texas 78413
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4x4, Grey
    Looks like a 3 inch lift, P285 70 R17, BFG A/T KO2
    Just curious if this was ever solved and what the remedy was.

18. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think it is in progress.....
    :popcorn:pull up a chair. Popcorn?

19. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You need to check when the engine is hot.

Mine still spins easy when it's hot. I think mines blown

20. Aug 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    Espoitis

Espoitis Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Texas 78413
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4x4, Grey
    Looks like a 3 inch lift, P285 70 R17, BFG A/T KO2
    I thought the original post was started in 2015! I would of replaced everything by now out of frustration if its actually still in progress. Hand me some of that popcorn.

Products Discussed in

To Top