1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

supercharger bs thread.....cuz all the other blower threads turn to bs anyhow

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Justus, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:11 AM
    tacomatrd22

tacomatrd22 TRD SuperCharged Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    FlowMaster Super 44 2" lift Gray wire Fog light
    I sharpen my pencils for college with my SC

Torspd likes this.
  2. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Damn, I was hoping for some other flash via OBD II like Toyota does.

3. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Too bad I never got a welder years ago. Could have been making turbo kits and selling them already.......

Lucario Runner likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Wonder if they're throwing in a UCON or just the overpriced BDT

5. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Meh, I like the roots blower for offroading. I'd think a custom turbo system would be a little more prone to issues from abuse in dusty, wet, and muddy conditions.

RogueTRD likes this.
  6. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yeah I also like the low end power. And yeah yeah @Torspd, I know your shit boosts at like 2k rpms lol, but I bet most off the shelf turbos dont start building hp and torque until youre higher up in the rpms. Or am I totally wrong? I dunno. if I was gonna do it again I'd probably just go with a URD SC and get someone to make me a wire harness for UCON.

7. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Odds are that if you snap something due to POWAH you were going to do it with or without the supercharger.

I'm talking about the risks if something goes wrong. If the engine and roots blower take in a little water or dirt they can survive and cleaning is fairly simple. Plus the only source is from a fairly short intake so you can plan on how to mitigate that from happening easily. With all the extra intake tubing on a Turbo setup, not to mention to complexity of the turbo and exposure of the blow off valve, the risks are a bit higher that something could go wrong without you noticing until it's too late.

It's not impossible to deal with, but it's a nice feature of the roots that it's so darn simple.

Torspd likes this.
  8. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    A tough change is better than an overboost grenade to some, and not to others :).

I get what you are saying but the roots is the simpler less likely to cause catastrophic damage system. That's why they are so common as factory endorsed upgrades over turbo kits in general. Then again, the S/C has it's own limits that a turbo can go well past.

9. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Turbo engined rally cars. All I have to say.

@VolcomTacoma , it depends on a lot of variables. At the top of that list is properly sizing the turbo to the application, with regards for necessity of intended use.

10. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    You just a high pressure gun to wash your engine?

11. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Turbo rally cars for sure have things setup right for what they do, but comparing a rally car to may rig is like comparing a NASCAR to a stock V8 Mustang. The longevity of the entire rig and the expectations for maintenance are completely different.

12. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Do you guys not have a local wash with a low pressure engine cleaner setting on the pressure washer? Hose it down with that, which is basically per use simple green, and then wash it off with the pressure washer from a distance like @Rock Lobster says.

I try not to wash at home because I can never keep the materials in good enough shape over time to make it worth it.

13. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    I been doing high pressure when I first owned her. I do keep a fair distance away from my engine with the high pressure. But I will keep simple green in mind real soon.

14. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    Most of the time I don't see that option at some car washes. But I'll keep my eye out for that today. Even though the engine is gonna get dirty again this weekend.

15. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    Whole lot cleaner than mine. I'm gonna have to buy a scrubber especially for my engine.

16. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I try not to clean my engine at car washes because usually 100% of the time I didn't park it at the car wash for an hour to let everything cool down. I know most people say 'it's fine, its fine, what about when you go through a puddle or some rain or something' and I say, hot metal+cold water is never a good mix, period. Anyhoo, I have a pressure washer at the house, like RL said, I dump some Simple Green in the soap dispenser thingy on the washer and soap the engine bay down really good, and then let it sit for a few minutes, then just turn on the HP jet and clean everything. Just don't spray directly on to anything electronic, or at least hold the jet on electronic stuff, and you're fine. THEN turn the engine on and let it dry itself off :D

Torspd likes this.
  17. Mar 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    The overall point simplicity aside, is that it can be done and work in harsh off road environments. Look at @MadTaco461 's build. He off roads the heck out of his truck. At speeds and over dunes. Inherent failing points of any style of F/I adder just need to be addressed for the conditions it'll be in. (As is the same for a truck build.) First and foremost is heat abatement.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    MadTaco461 and Sterdog[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Mar 7, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Should get some others to join. :thumbsup:

19. Mar 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    True enough. I never said it was a bad idea to turbo an OR truck of any sort. Just, like you said, that the roots blower has some simplicity advantages in those situations that some people might value.

Torspd[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    When you racing?