1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger & Burned CATs

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Chickadee, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Oct 18, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Chickadee

Chickadee [OP] No, It's not my husband's truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR, Spruce Mica
    OME lift, Relentless Bumpers, Supercharged, UCON
    I'm seriously considering ordering a UCON at this point. I haven't been able to drive my truck much since April. BD nor the shop that did the install show any interest in fixing it.

Tell me what the UCON system can do for me.

2. Oct 18, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Chickadee[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
  4. Oct 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  5. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Had some time to troubleshoot why my brand new AFR gauge was only working intermittently. Found this in my fuse box. Words can't express how furious I am at this shop - I paid over $200 for them to install this gauge for me. They even charged me for an 'Add-A-Circuit'. As an extra insult, they welded the bungs for the O2 sensors BEHIND the cats & the welds are pure UGLY.

:frusty::angrygirl:

IMG_2685.jpg IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2589.jpg

6. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  7. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Yeah I'd email those pictures to the manager of the joint and ask him what his plan is to make it right, cuz that ain't...

dirtdigginjoe and RyanL like this.
  8. Oct 26, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Gunna to fix the wiring this weekend. I remember a write-up for taking apart the dash in here from a few years ago, but can't find it. Does anyone have detailed dash removal instructions?

9. Nov 1, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    dirtdigginjoe

dirtdigginjoe Resident meth-head

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Paco The Turbo Taco
    GTX 3071r @8psi...
    Super simple. Above your dash cluster, there's 2 push-locks. Push in to pop them up, then remove.
    Pop up driver's door sill panel (I can do mine without tools), then the footwell kickplate just in front of it. There's a small black bumper that you unscrew that's near your e-brake (auto) or clutch pedal. Once that's out, you can pull the panel off towards the rear of the truck.
    You'll see a 10mm bolt near the kickplate- remove that.
    There's another to the right of the TPMS reset under the steering column, behind a tab. Remove that 10mm.
    If you're manual- pop off the parking brake surround. If you're auto- you're on your own lol.
    While you're down there (giggity), you can pop off the hood release by pulling it halfway, and giving a slight twist. Mine pops off crazy easy.
    Once those 2 10mm are removed, you can gently pop the lower dash off its clips.
    Remove the power mirror, clutch cancel (manual), inverter, RSCA, etc wiring connectors by releasing the tab on the wiring connector.
    Remove the rest of the lower part of the dash now that everything is disconnected.

You can move the upper portion of the dash now by gently pulling forward. This should give you enough room for routing wires and seeing everything near the fuse box. I can take pictures if it'll help you.

Chickadee[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2017 at 6:30 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

11. Nov 2, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    So here's what we found. The 30 amp fuse is from the Wiper Motor circuit. The wires for the gauge & controller were joined & then fed into the 10 amp fuse. The directions state that the controller & gauge need a 5 amp fuse -- EACH.
    I might not be an expert with wiring & circuits, but I know that's all kinds of wrong!
    So very angry!!

The shop is refusing to give me a refund. 'Negotiations' are continuing.IMG_2741.jpg IMG_2731.jpg

Torspd likes this.
  12. Nov 2, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    ^ Ask if they have a drug policy inplace for their employees. Cause they are on something reallllllly strong.

GT7, dirtdigginjoe and RyanL like this.
  13. Nov 2, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Get it all in em so you have it all in writing. Make sure they reply to you why they did it like that so you have proof they admit they did the work like that. Than at the last of the emails let them know if you have a wiring fire you will sue their @ss.

14. Nov 8, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    So, the shop continues to refuse to give me a refund for the botched gauge install. They are offering to fix it at no charge & won't budge on the refund.

I have NO interest in having them work on my truck again. Considering other options........

15. Nov 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Installing the UCON today & also an Oil Catch can. Hope it all goes smoothly! So excited to hopefully have my truck back running the way it should again!!

16. Nov 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    How's the installation going?

17. Nov 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Just got the timing all lined up. Ready to do the cam gear change. Going well so far!

18. Nov 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    All finished yet?!?!?!

19. Nov 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Done with all the engine stuff. ECU & UCON go in tomorrow. IT LIVES!!

20. Nov 19, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    SoCOTaco

SoCOTaco Well-Known Moron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4
    GFC, Fox 2.0's w/ Dakars, SCS BR6's, Fridge w/ Beer
    Sub'd. I remember talking to you at a COS Tacoma's meet a couple months back at Fuzzy's about the supercharger woes, so hopefully this all fixes it for ya!

Products Discussed in

To Top