1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger issues (HELP!)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rome082, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Aug 9, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    Rome082

Rome082 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raphael
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD edition
    Air intake kit, dual exhaust after Catalytic converter. Transmission air cooler. Fabtech Dirtlogic Suspension.
    Hi there:
    So I ended up installing the Magnuson Supercharger. I also went with the URD 7th stage injector kit and the smaller URD pulley. Well, California gas doesn't help, so the truck was detonating, so I had to install an Alcohol injection kit. That didn't help. Truck is producing up to 12 PSI boost. The shop recommended going back to the stock pulley, which we did (Disconnected the 7th stage injector kit as well). Now, the truck is producing 8 to 10 PSI boost (which the Engine still doesn't like). The shop has recommended I get a bigger pulley (a 2.65 instead of the stock 2.37). Magnuson swears everything should be fine getting 6 to 8 PSI with stock pulley, and that the truck got messed up going straight for the URD pulley (throwing the tunning off). They kind of recommended disconnecting the battery and letting the truck re-tune itself. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I'll take anything!

P.S: I have TRD headers, Dual exhaust after the muffler and colder running Spark plugs (came with the 7th stage injector kit).

2. Aug 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Relentless front and rear bumpers, Warn M-8000S Winch, Relentless RockSliders, bigger tires, bed cover RTT ... and more big changes in the works.
    I am looking and th Magnuson Supercharger and am curious if you have made any progress on getting this fixed?

3. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    Rome082

Rome082 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raphael
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD edition
    Air intake kit, dual exhaust after Catalytic converter. Transmission air cooler. Fabtech Dirtlogic Suspension.
    Not yet. What do you reckon? Want to get one too?

4. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Relentless front and rear bumpers, Warn M-8000S Winch, Relentless RockSliders, bigger tires, bed cover RTT ... and more big changes in the works.
    I have not a clue what the problem might be. Seems like stock pulley and 7th injector together might be what to try next.

I really want to to get the supercharger for myself for Christmas. It is calling my name and has been since I bought this 2004 tacoma a few months ago.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM
    mlcc

mlcc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 DC TRD/ 1990 4runner
    Lights, 3in lift, tires/ wheels, being awesome
    Any idea of what codes it threw

6. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM
    Cohbsteq

Cohbsteq Hood Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    02 Supercharged 4x4
    Pretty much stock with some crap welded to it.
    that seems like high boost numbers for a stock pulley, i always thought 5-7 psi was normal stock, 7+ is with aftermarket pulleys, i had a trd s/c and have been running 6lb boost its whole life..

7. Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I was thinking the same thing...a little Christmas gift for myself :) I'm
    Going with the 7th injector kit as well and just picked up some TRD headers off of EBay. Going with Magnaflow from the headers back.:thumbsup::D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Aug 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    8-10 psi with the stock pulley? That sounds way high. And definitely likely to ping without the 7th injector. How are you measuring the boost?

9. Aug 25, 2016 at 6:36 AM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    You need to tune your 7th and meth. It's
    Really that simple. What octane gas are you able to get and did you install the 2-step cooler spark plugs?

I would also recommend mixing your own methanol and playing with the ratio as needed. The methanol alone should suffice in suppressing detonation but it may require a very high ratio of methanol.

Get wideband afr in order to tune.

10. Aug 25, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Not familiar with supercharges in a Tacoma, but 12 PSI is a fair amount of boost. What are you using for engine management?

11. Aug 27, 2016 at 11:13 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    12 psi is a lot more boost than what the trd sc was originally designed to put out, I wonder if that's the issue?

I was having terrible knock with my s/c until I upgraded my spark plugs, but you already said you're running cooler ones...

12. Aug 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You must have a faulty boost gauge because I do not believe those numbers. I have 2.2 and 7th injector and get 7psi in California

13. Aug 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Yeah sounds iffy. Boost gauge is off, or this explains it as over-spinning the TRD blower to make that kind of boost is at it's extreme limit and is basically spitting out super heated air. If not that, its a sign you have an exhaust blockage/backpressure and could also explain the ping. If you have the OEM cats, check them out, when they block up the S/C guys get crazy ping and sluggish performance.

x2, get the right nozzle, duty cycle and mix, it can squash most any ping.

My 2.2 barely gets me 9psi, you at 7psi are you at a higher elevation or did you remove the cats?

I need to retune my water/meth, it pumps waaay too much, but for now I've been running E85 from time to time (AEM FIC, 620cc injectors), that stuff is just amazing, it refuses to ping. I zero'd out all the timing I was pulling and I'm tempted to go Greddy EMU so that I can actually add timing in boost and get the most out of the fuel.

The OEM ECU is very adaptable via the primary o2 wideband, you could probably get away with an E40'ish mix, but that would be putting a band-aid over the problem, something is causing a lot of ping and needs to get sorted. I've heard of Underdog Performance working on customer setups that ping a lot more than others and they can't figure out why- exhaust is good, valve timing good etc, all he could say is maybe some come from the assembly line just a little more prone to ping than the next one-- IMO my 5vz is one of those, tuning out the ping via just fuel and timing makes it loose a lot of power, so water/meth and E85 has been awesome-- but the fact is I CAN tune it out with 91 octane if need be, but your setup sounds like something needs to get addressed.

anthony250f[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I have one cat and two mufflers. It barely hits 7. Also verified by checking with the urd controller. I had a 2.1 and I only hit 8 maybe 9 ever once and a while. Im at sea level

15. Aug 30, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Sounds like you freed up some backpressure on your exhaust so the numbers are a bit lower, but thats a good thing, less resistance to a fixed flow source, more air actually getting into your motor than getting cramped up in the manifold.

In my older age I'm actually happy with my OEM exhaust/not having to hear my engine, but my bud built trac bar requires I change my muffler, will be interesting to see if peak boost goes down if the new muffler manages to lower back pressure. I'd like to get a look at my cats too, as my 5vz has always been on the pingy side.

16. Aug 30, 2016 at 2:46 PM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I have a cat and two mufflers so I would assume it's clogged if anything lol

17. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like the OP still has both cats, so about just as restrictive as stock, in fact going duel muffler and introducing a Y pipe to do so might not really gain one additional flow over the OEM setup...

But if the OP's boost readings are accurate, and the ping that un-curable, I'd bet there is a bad blockage/melted cat- seems to have happened to a few S/C 5vz.

18. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I only went dual (small) muffler to reduce sound

I would def check the cats

19. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:47 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Same goal here. I'm do NOT want to mod my exhaust (can't believe I'm saying this having been a sport compact guy in my younger years, total 180) but have to in order to get rid of my axle wrap with a product I've already bought. Been researching how to mod it tastefully/not increase DB that that is a very rare goal for people, so pretty dry on the interwebs-- will just have to 'bro science' it as best as possible. I have a MIG, an IS300 resonator and some other spare parts and figure I can fab something up that doesn't increase backpressure, doesn't overly open it up either and keeps DB down while making the space for the bar.

Funny experiment, welded up another spare IS300 resonator to a friend's 3-slow 3.0 Toy truck and it a) wasn't much louder than the muffler it replaced, sounded really really good and b) noticeable power gain. Win win mod. So on the 2001 3.4, the IS300 resonator bolts on (not perfect, but good enough to jimmy the OEM muffler to the side and do a little run down the street) so did it thinking it would be a similar result-- wow, drone for days, would get a headache real quick. So have to make some kind of combo setup resonator and muffler if going aftermarket on the muffler.

I digress, sorry OP. But get your cats looked at, check that off of the list.

Products Discussed in

To Top