1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger Pulley Upgrade Disaster [HELP!]

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Its_Upgrayedd, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    That will work in the beginning, but as the heat transfers from the hot pulley to the shaft they start to become one, and rotating the wrench will turn the pulley/shaft unless you have a strap wrench to hold it or can get it on there super quick before the heat transfer takes place. (I wouldn't count on it).

Notice how the video doesn't show anywhere near the end when the heat transfer has already happened and it becomes difficult.

2. Feb 1, 2017 at 3:12 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    i asked the guy that made the video and he didnt heat it up. installed at room temp

3. Feb 1, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    I've done a couple and it works just as easily as that video. You can take it one step farther and use a cheap serpentine belt tool to loosen the tension pulley and slip the belt off without ever getting under the truck and having to remove any skid plates. The tool will stay in the tensioner because it is too long to remove and still under some tension, but it allows enough to slip the belt off and it will be out of the way when doing the rest of the work.

4. Feb 4, 2017 at 8:09 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    My friend Scott brought by a can of freeze spray from his work. We froze the shaft and heated the pulley in a toaster oven. The thing slid right on. We stopped a little short of flush because we didnt want to over insert it, and have to use the puller to get the face flush with the snout. So we finished with the URD tool. It was a nightmare. The threaded insert unscrewed from the SC snout the first time and everything scattered. It messed up a couple of the threads. But after reading crashnburn80's thread. I took a few deep breaths and remained calm.

Long story short. I think you can polish the snout with emery cloth till you cant feel any burrs. Freeze the snout and heat the pulley. Slide it on with something to prevent it from going sub flush with the snout. Just to be extra safe. I'd probably re-tap the snout threads and have the URD tool handy in case. Why not?

5. Feb 4, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
  6. Feb 5, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    This is all fixable like others have replied. Just some extra food for thought though. Youll probably need to ream and polish the inside of your pully if it has any galling or burs on it. This may be dificult without a precision lathe. Your output shaft can be stoned down where the galling is, that no big deal. Also if you find that the threads are totally ruined fr future installations, you can always drill and tap to am m10 thread.

Again, it sucks, but people have already given some decent advice. You are not screwed yet, not by a long shot.

7. Feb 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Its_Upgrayedd

Its_Upgrayedd [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Off Road
    TRD Supercharger
    Appreciate all the responses! I was able to install the second pulley last night without a problem. Just in case someone comes across this thread and is in the same boat, the below steps were performed:

1) Snout repair - For the gouging I used 600 grit sand paper to make them smooth and then scotch-brite. I'm sure a higher grit in between is recommended, but didn't have it on hand and already made 4 trips to hardware stores. For the threads, the timesert worked perfectly. It is expensive, but entirely worth it. I purchased a 8x1.25x20 timesert from Amazon and an 8x1.25x35 allen key bolt from ebay. Note that you will not be able to get a drill into the snout without hitting the front radiator area. I had to buy a right angle drill adapter that was kinda wonky, but got the job done. I would recommend an actual right angle drill to do it the right way. Keep it as square as can be with the snout and go slow. I also used a strap wrench around the snout and vise-grips against the rubber to help stop it from spinning when drilling/tapping.

2) Install take 2 - I really prepared this time and re-read instructions and these posts. This combination of things made it incredibly easy:
    • Heated the pulley to 290 this time in the toaster oven. The first pulley had paint starting to bubble, but the little lower temps prevented that from happening this time.
    • Threaded the allen bolt into the supercharger WITH globs of anti-seize on the part of the bolt that I wanted in the supercharger. The reason for the anti-seize is it puts some resistance on it so when you thread the insert tool in a hurry onto the allen bolt it doesn't spin further into the supercharger. I threaded the 35mm bolt a little more than half way into the new timesert threads.
    • I used a can of air (upside down of course) to cool the snout. Used gloves and rotated it in between cooling.
    • Used something called "super lube" (a synthetic grease) on the outside of the snout. I applied it post cooling and right before installing the pulley - it is good until -45 degrees Celsius.
    • I bought a 15/16 ratcheting wrench (lowes - $16) for the install tool which made the installation much quicker over an adjustable wrench
    For the actual install I had a friend take the pulley from the oven by putting a strap wrench around it, then holding it over the snout/allen bolt. I then threaded the tool onto the allen and went to town (breaker bar on the front of the tool). It slid on very easily and flush!

Again, thanks for the responses and help everyone!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Feb 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Glad it all worked out. Nice work and thanks for the follow up

9. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Turned a Fail, into a Win. Well done.

cdelgado14 likes this.
  10. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I installed mine on a very cold day (in the 30's) a few weeks back to take advantage of a cold shaft. Fortunately I didn't have any problems, sucks for the OP - hopefully it all works out for the best.

11. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    Dbl Taco

Dbl Taco Hard Taco

Member:
    Virginia Beach,Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 X-Runner Supercharged/2001 4Runner sport
    Urd intake Urd stealth pulley Djm 3/4 DTLT headers Urd o2 sim Urd trac bar Afe 3" cat back Xii performance stock coils
    I've changed my pulley twice. I ruin the old one each time. Sucks cause I'd like to have sold it. I use a strap wrench to hold the new pulley while i use the press on tool

Products Discussed in

To Top