1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger w/CAI

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kurdain, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Kurdain

Kurdain [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    I am 99% likely going to have the TRD SC installed on my '09 tacoma soon.

I had planned on doing the TRD CAI, SC and Exhaust all at once; however the parts guy, whom I've known for years, said that TRD explicitly advises against the use of the CAI with the SC.

I have asked him to inquire with TRD as to exactly why and he is going to get back to me, hopefully today.

I've read several threads here that states that it will work and what-not, but I am looking for why exactly TRD states this.

So does anyone TRULY know for sure why TRD doesn't want you to use the CAI with the SC?

Thanks,

2. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    Get the afe stage2 si

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Kurdain

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Yeah I was hoping that maybe someone had already asked TRD the exact reason, but my parts guy is placing a call to them this afternoon.

If I find out why I will post it here so that way we'll know.

I have a feeling it's an emissions reason when combined with the TRD SC. I can't see it being anything larger than that?

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    NOT TRUE......the use of the TRD intake is not required or prohibited ....the new TRD intake is 50 state legal your good

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Thats what the reflash is for

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    Sgian

Sgian Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCSB Manual V-6 SC
    TRD Super Charger, URD 2.8 Super Charger Pulley, URD headers and full system, URD fuel pump upgrade, URD Short throw Shifter, AFE CAI, OME 886 coilovers with Nitrochargers, Dakar Leaves, Desert Products UCA's, FJ TRD Anthracite rims, BFG AT/TKO 285s, Redline Hood struts, Weathertech Ventshades, Weathertech Floormats, Speed Dawg shift knob, Coupe solid shifter, Relentless all around, Eyelids T2, Mr Yo Rearview mirror lift, ejector seats, Rigid D2s front and back, Rigid Light bar in skewp.
    I have the SC and am running the AFE CAI and URD cat back exhaust. No problems, only smiles. If my memory is correct, the reason that Toyota inc. does not condone any CAI is due to the possibility that it will lean out the fuel/air mixture, resulting in sub-optimal performance and immediate catostrophic explosion of your engine. But then again, I might have remembered the exact particulars wrong. Bottom line, mine works just fine. matt

7. Oct 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    the original trd intake wasn't carb approved. That was the only reason.

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Page 4 of the S/C instructions says it "conflicts" with a CAI system.
    The warranty info that comes with the S/C says it is not covered if used with a CAI system.

It is correct that the new TRD intake is 50 state approved, but I have not seen any change in the instructions or any other info that says that now you can use that intake with the S/C.
    Maybe they are worried about larger dust particles going through the intake than a paper filter would allow?

EDIT: That said, I also am using both together with no issues.

9. Oct 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Silver DC

Silver DC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Prerunner SuperCharged
    Supercharged,TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, DTLT Headers, L.E.D. Taillights, Factory BHLM,Wet Okole Seat Covers,Weather Tech Digi-cut Floorliners
    Buy it, put it on. Take it off if you need to go to the dealer for anything.
    I have the SC, CAI, TRD exhaust and headers. Been running them for 20,000 miles with no problems.

10. Oct 6, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    Kurdain

Member:
    Portland, OR
    OK.

Here is what he got straight from TRD:

"Just got off the phone with TRD and they say that the intake would give false readings to the computer as far as air intake and you would not get the full use of the supercharger. He did say that yes there are people that have done it but they are using additional aftermarket parts to make it work and Toyota and TRD do not back that."

So it sounds like that TRD optimized the SC with the stock air intake in mind, however is also sounds like you can use it with different intakes, but they couldn't guarantee best performance probably due to a simply not wanting to stick their neck out.

In either case it is less for me to spend at the moment and I will just go with the exhaust and SC for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top