1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharging 14 TRD Sport 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Sawyer650, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Jul 1, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    Sawyer650

Sawyer650 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First time posting here for any advice or thoughts. I have a 14 Taco that I am going to start beefing up rather than trading in for a new truck and spending even more money for less of a truck in the end after upgrading mine (plus I prefer the 2nd gen styling over the current 3rd gen). It has 55k miles and still runs great (obviously since it's a Taco). I am going to supercharge it with a Magnuson OEM TRD blower kit (I know you can't get the "TRD" blower anymore but Magnuson still makes them) that comes with some extras (link to kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mps-019040007bl). I also plan on getting new headers, FM dual exhaust, radiator, airbags, brakes and any other cooling upgrades that can be applied. At 6 psi the pistons should be fine (they can handle up to 7 psi) and being that it is Magnuson gives me more confidence it will run well with my core engine components. I am aiming for 350 hp when all said and done, any suggestions or things that you think are absolutely a must with a blower is appreciated. I plan on posting pics when my project is done as well and updating on how it runs. Currently it is lifted 2" with upgraded suspension and has American Outlaw wheels, so I won't need to do anything there. I plan on keeping it looking stock with just a ton of performance underneath.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. Jul 2, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Aardvark13

Aardvark13 Sultan of Squeeze, Wizzard of Slide

Member:
    First Name:
    Byl
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR
    Aardvark4x4 Built for Go
    Gunshot-6A, 12TRDTacoma and JustDSM like this.
  3. Jul 2, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
  4. Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    If you are doing a supercharger and going to even consider modding into it a fuel pump should be number 1 on the priority list, followed by opening up breathing characteristics, intake/ exhaust/ qwickchange pulley size/ tune. @JustDSM is our resident tuner god and has a vast extensive knowledge in all that is Toyota PCM modification.

Superchargers are 60% efficient and there is somewhat of a science of staying within that zone on the compressor map, so pick your pulley size wisely (unless installing meth, then game on because that is considered an artificial cooling method not accounted for in a traditional map). My longtime boost buddy @TheFang has got you pointed in the right direction. Welcome to the fold and welcome to the rabbit hole. ;) :thumbsup: This boost game is a fun one!

TheFang, Aardvark13 and Gunshot-6A like this.
  5. Jul 2, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    jaystellato

jaystellato Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bethlehem, PA
    Sent you a PM.

6. Jul 2, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Thanks guys for all the tips. I believe that Magnuson kit comes with a fuel injector and I will be getting a pulley. I planned on having the shop flash it as well (I assumed that was what the Bully Dog Tuner was in the package). I didn't think of the AFR gauge though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  7. Jul 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    I also forgot to add the whole reason why I am doing this, which is I need more power for towing hills here in Oregon. I have to keep my shit floored sometimes to tow my boat uphill, so I need more power and if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it big.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  8. Jul 2, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    Aardvark13

Aardvark13 Sultan of Squeeze, Wizzard of Slide

Member:
    First Name:
    Byl
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR
    Aardvark4x4 Built for Go
    So just to be clear the injectors are bigger and come in the kit, but you want a better fuel pump to feed those bigger injectors. :thumbsup:

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  9. Jul 2, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Thanks for clearing that up man, I'm not mechanically savvy at all and will never pretend to be. I will add it to my list.

10. Jul 3, 2020 at 12:02 AM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Fuck the headers and exhaust, going to do some other things instead. Trying to keep parts at no more than $10k, $5,400 of that going to the blower, $800 for radiator, fuel pump and intake, $160 for the pulley and $400 for some brake upgrades (towing downhill in Oregon). So I am at about $6,800. With $3200 left in my budget, I am thinking a skid plate for $400 and nice removable fuel cell for potential Overlanding trips for $600. That leaves me with $2,200 left to play with, maybe some nice suspension....

11. Jul 3, 2020 at 12:40 AM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    Why do you need a raditor? Unless you're driving in the gnarly summer heat and constantly seeing high Temps (id suggest some sort of digital/numerical output for that info), your stock cooling system will be fine. Heck, if you're heart set on putting money towards your cooling then maybe go with a lower temp thermostat (which i still dont think is needed).

Use that money towards gauges. I got plx wide and and obd2 reader that gives me plenty of real time info in one gauge, even a boost gauge too.

Honestly though, you will really benefit from headers/exhaust in the power department. If you want that 350hp, I'd say its needed.

12. Jul 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Thanks for the advice, I forgot to say gauges are already on the list but I'm not going to include those in my budget price, I'll take out an extra few hundred for those. I was reading around on the forums and a lot of people don't think headers and exhaust provide much of an increase and aren't worth it, is that true? If I can get an increase of 40-50 hp from them I will do it though.

13. Jul 3, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    Hard to say 40-50hp, but I honestly feel like it made a difference. Doing the headers and y-pipe will rid yourself of x4 catalytic converters and you'll feel a good improvement even in a N/A setup, better for us with F/I.

To be real, with intake, headers and full exhaust coupled with a 2.8 pulley and any other supporting mods...you're looking at about 300whp. Otherwise, just the SC alone will be 250whp ish.

A proper tune will get you better numbers along with a nice Power Band for daily use.

14. Jul 3, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    They don't provide worthwhile gains on a N/A engine. When you add a SC to your system, you are forcing a lot more air into, and then out of your engine. Leaving the intake and exhaust stock is forcing your engine to breathe in and out of a straw, to put it very simply.

Also, for cooling why not just go all the way and inject meth?

15. Jul 3, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Looks like a meth kit is about $400, so I will add it to the list of cooling options. I was not even aware of this system and will definitely look into installing, I am open to anything and everything that assists cooling (within reason). As for the exhaust and headers, that is what I originally thought regarding breathing so I will put them back on the list. Looks like my costs are back up to right around $10k now. Skid plate and a removable fuel storage system are all I am going to get for now regarding external upgrades (going to look into adding a bumper guard with winch in the future).

16. Jul 5, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Sawyer650

Member:
    Today is a tough day. Sometimes it is easier just to type these things rather than talk about them, so I will just ramble here to try to help. My Dad died at 55 years old from ALS one year ago today, and one of the last things he did while he was still healthy was buy me my Tacoma (I am going to look into a custom skid plate that says "Fuck ALS"). He was one of the nicest guys I knew and was my best friend, and when the dealership drove out my Tacoma he didn't even hesitate to offer to get it when he saw the look in my eyes. For these reasons, I can probably never get rid of my truck. In all of his kindness, he also gave me his 2017 Limited Tundra and it was his dying wish for me to take it and drive it for myself. As nice of a truck as it is (it is much nicer than my Tacoma), it isn't my style as I like something more nimble. Instead, I am taking part of the money from his Tundra and am going to start building up the truck I love and he bought for me. Anyways, I just had to type something out because I think about him a lot when driving around my truck. R.I.P Dad, I will always love you and remember your kindness.

My 14 Taco that will live on in his memory:
    20200705_142719[1].jpg

17. Jul 9, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    Sawyer650

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top