1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supersport Snugtop camper shell reviews

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by nighthawk87, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    What is everyone's general take on a the snugtop supersports (search isn't very helpfull)?

Anyone use them for dogs? How is the ventalation?

Are there better options out there for dogs?

Build quality?

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    AMAZING BUILD QUALITY. (I have the XV, not the SS)
    The only thing I dont like is that I didn't get win-doors (pined over it, someone convinced me they weren't safe) and I didn't get the cab-hi model (want more room to sleep deck it back there).

Roof rack is a must. That way you can take it off with a hoist (tree or garage) and flip it over and store it that way for a long time.

3. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I don't know about the SS model but you get what you pay for with Snugtop. Top notch quality with top notch pricing.

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    I like the Snugtop SS, but I have had a problem with the forward hinged window rattling the locks to pieces over a zillion miles on gravel roads.

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've got SnugTop SuperSport on my 07. The quality is excellent and no gaps like alot of other canopies...water tight! The fold down front window makes for easy cleaning and has a slider that matches up with the trucks rear window slider... great for hauling fishing poles.

6. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:50 AM
    kystnTRD

kystnTRD Ramblin Man

Member:
    NW Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 6MT
    great quality on the cap. The latch system is garbage however. Would i buy it again....probably. Its definitely the best looking one out there.

7. Feb 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    ^
    Ditto, nice shell but the PUSH IN locking mec is a pain. If you drive on a lot of dirt roads, dirt get's in it and it won't lock. You have to take it apart and clean it every so often.

8. Feb 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    I second the comments on the latch. Sometimes when I push it in I think Im going to break the glass. It just doesnt like to latch unless you push it pretty hard.

Otherwise, the front opening glass for cleaning is awesome. The finish on mine was pretty good, but a bit of orange peel. Not the best paint job Ive seen. But not really noticeable to most folks.

9. Feb 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    kystnTRD

kystnTRD Ramblin Man

Member:
    NW Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 6MT
    My problem with the latch was i broke the latch/lock mechanism opening it from the inside while camping...a 1/4 inch bolt thread is all that holds the latch to the lock mechanism. The only replacement option i could find was to buy the whole latch system(thats the only way they would sell it) through a dealer and i was unable to find parts direct. About a hundred dollars so i never fixed it.

10. Apr 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Pbraunsc

Pbraunsc New Member

Member:
    Heads up, snugtop has the worst customer service of a mfg I have ever seen. Been told for 5 weeks the toper would be here the following week. Thought is was the dealer and found that it was snugtop not returning calls from them.

Would not put money down on a snugtop again. Lo with leer at least they did what was said.

11. May 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    Flugelhornjazz

Flugelhornjazz '06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    06' 4.0L 4x4 6sp MT Access
    AFE CAI, all synth fluids, 2.5" exhaust w/ FlowMaster, Optima Deep Cycle battery, Fog mod, SnugTop cap, HID headlights, silicone hoses
    :cool:HI Guys. I bought a snug top Super sport the same time I bought my 06' Access cab new. Had them both now 6 1/2 years, 98,000 miles. I did add the Yakima rack system in 2006 as well. The snug top has been trouble free until two months ago. The latch on the rear glass is wearing out and doesn't stay locked snug against the cap. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the money on Snug Top again...built very well.

Products Discussed in

To Top