1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspenison questions?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Will Prerunner, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Apr 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    I have a 2001 Prerunner that I want to lift slightly and I have a bunch of questions so I thought I would lump them together here, and see if you guys could help me out.. I dont plan on doing much serious offroading mainly just driving around the desert, and some light offroading.
    My plan is to go with Blistein 5100's in the front set to 1.5" and New Alcan Leaf packs in the back, and put on 32" BFG's.

1.Do i need new shocks in the back too or just the front?
    2.With 1.5" of lift will I need to extend brake lines and stuff like that?
    3.Do i need to get new springs in the front or can I keep the existing ones?
    4.Will a new leaf pack be any better than a add a leaf?
    5. I'm an 18 year old with a little mechanical knowledge, If i rent a spring compressor could I put this stuff on myself?
    6. Is this the best way to go about getting a small lift and improving my suspension on a budget of under 1,000 for the suspension and lift?

2. Apr 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Alright I realized I have enough money to either go with

Blistiens in the front and Alcan leaf pack in the back, or

Blistiens all around, ome coils in the front, and a aal in the back.

Which one would you guys pick for a better ride?

3. Apr 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Wish i was wheelin

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD stock
    None
    1) The stock rear shocks will be fine, thats what im running.
    2) The truck will be ok with only a 1.5" lift in the rear, I have a 1 inch lift in the rear and i flex the heck out of the back no problems.
    3) FYI springs are what hold the back up the front has coils. You can keep the existing ones if you are getting 5100's. But if you go with the OME lift you will be replacing the coils.
    4) Yes a new leaf pack would be better, but an aal will do just fine.
    5) DO IT! You will feel more attached to your truck. I did my first lift by reading the write ups on this forum.

First i will tell you what i have.

I have OME 881's in the front. Along with the OME soft shocks. in the rear i have stock shocks and 1" toytec shackle kit.

The ride in the front it great. No change from stock and i got about 2.25" of lift. The rear feels the same also.

4. Apr 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    TengoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD stock
    None

BTY

Alcans lift the rear about 1.5" dont they?

If you go the 5100 way i would put them at the highest setting 2.5". The truck would be more level.

5. Apr 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    So are the OME shocks as nice as the Blistien 5100's

6. Apr 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand

Go with that one....
    It's best to use the OME shocks as they are valved for the springs, but the 5100's and OME coils will give you a far far far superior ride compared to stock. I think you'll be very happy w/ it.

7. Apr 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    TengoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD stock
    None
    I dont know which is better i have only had OME shocks. I will say for having a lift my truck rides nice. I am very happy with OME shocks. If you get OME coils, might as well get their shocks too.

8. Apr 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Alright I've decided to go with Swayaway coilovers in the front and 5100 and a add a leaf in the back. I'm gonna order them from wheelers pretty soon. Is there any thing else I need like extended break lines, or to dropp the differential, or a trim pack, or any type of bushings?

To Top