1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

suspension? “mid-travel”

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by __desert.taco, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jan 9, 2020 at 11:44 PM
    __desert.taco

__desert.taco [OP] Member

Member:
    modesto CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma prerunner V6
    was wondering if anyone has purchased the rear shock hoops from solomotorsports and is so what rear shocks they paired with it?!

as well as what deavers some are using pared with a spring under kit

or any other “mid travel” rear suspensions set up you have that you would like to share....kind of looking for ideas. thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Jan 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    I see you posted another thread asking about spring under; maybe just keep 1 thread lol

Unless you need some real flex, a lot of people wheel with aftermarket shocks in the stock location.

If you want to use longer shocks though, just do a rear shock relocation via cross member between the frame.

You're referring to an outboard setup, which isn't as common (but still used). Should net you different "handling" as I've read compared to having the shocks under the bed.

Your IFS setup will need a lot of help to keep up with the front at this point.

There are a ton of threads that share much more information than the little I've shared.

3. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Deavers and a spring under kit?!

The Deavers give you ~1.5" lift over stock, and if you try to wedge a spring under in there, you're going to end up lowering your truck. Don't bother with spring under unless you are building a race spec pre-runner, and I certainly wouldn't do J59's.

The outboard shocks are hard to do for first gens. Our wheels are too close to the frame, so unless you get wheel spacers, they're going to rub like mad.

As @Kwikvette said, most end up doing some sort of crossmember and a shock relocation. You can end up fitting I think a 10" or so travel shock without cutting the bed if you do the crossmember and doing a custom lower shock mount on the axle (also doing a U-bolt flip).

Here's a good writeup as an example.

https://adventuretaco.com/tacoma-rear-shock-relocation-scrapping-the-first-attempt-and-trying-again/

Products Discussed in

To Top