1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Bushing Rotation Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BlackBeerd, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Feb 2, 2017 at 1:26 PM
    BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona Red AC 4WD
    I'm wondering where the rotation of the suspension bushings happens. When the control arms articulate up and down through their range of motion, and the rear leaf springs articulate through their range of motion - Does it happen at the outer bushing diameter? Inner bushing diameter and sleeve? Sleeve and bolt? A combination of all of the above?

It seems to me that the outer bushing would be least likely to move, though I'm sure it does.

Mostly asking if you could use something like UHMW tape around the outer bushing to reduce the amount of friction the bushing supplies. Or just grease the inner sleeve, inner bushing diameter and outer bushing?

2. Feb 5, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    most of the movements happen on the inner sleeve. on the control arm and leaf springs. as far as tapping the bushing I'm not sure if it would work as tight as the tolerance is. the outer part of the bushing is mostly for dampening vibrations although it does have some movement.

3. Feb 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    The factory bushings don't rotate, they are pressed in and the rubber "flexes". If you feel a need to do anything, remove and put never seize on the cam sleeves. the sleeves freeze up inside the bushing over time and then alignment adjustments can't be done without cutting them off.

Products Discussed in

To Top