1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension clinking noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nh_yota, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    Long time lurker, new member here.

Let me preface this by stating that I have read the numerous threads about suspension noise and I did have the rear spring TSB performed back in May. Two overweight loads of wet sod killed the rear springs enough that the dealer had no problem with doing the TSB.

Got the truck new at Christmas time and it now has almost 10k miles on it. Love it to pieces and I have so much fun in the snow with it.

The two outstanding issues I have are 1) the aforementioned noise and 2) the clutch pedal squeak/creak that happens in hot weather.

A few months ago when the weather got warm and I started driving around with my windows down, I started to notice a clinking noise coming from under the truck when I was driving at low speed down the very bumpy streets in my neighborhood. It doesn't seem to be the same squeaking noise that many of you have reported coming from your rear leafs - it sounds more like a metal-on-metal noise that goes "clink, clink, clink" as I drive over bumps.

I can't verify when it started (because I can only hear it when I drive with the windows down) but I think it started soon after the spring TSB was done. I thought maybe the tech left something loose but everything seems to be okay.

Any ideas? I need to get the oil changed soon so I'll have the dealer look at it then.

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    Let me know what you find, Ive been fighting a noise I can't figure out for months now. I had the silencer pads put on at the dealer, that fixed some of the noise, but there is still the same noise you describe.

3. Aug 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    nh_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    It annoys the heck out of me because the various noises in this truck are the only think I don't like about it.

4. Sep 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    gofas

gofas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Ukiah
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Timberland Mica Access
    ImMrYo review mirror bracket.
    still got the annoyin noise clank thing?

5. Sep 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    I have the exact same noise. Just got back from dealer about this noise, the tsb leafs, and my clutch being annoying and net letting me in to first at random times. Dealer said we will do teh tsb on tuesday, clutch is fixed, and that the noise was from some heat shields that were bent. I left the parking lot and for the first time in a while heard no noise when going over a speed bump. I was so excited...... until I hit a dirt road. The darn noise is not only back but even louder. When I take the truck in on tuesday I am going to grab that guy and make him go on a "off road" trip with me.... This thing is making me crazy!

6. Sep 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    The brake pads make a clinking noise. Mine rattle quite a bit on bumps.
    Try putting light pressure on the brake pedal while driving and see if it quiets the noise.

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
  8. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Ya it's not break pads for me.

9. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    nh_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    Took the truck into the dealer for an oil change last week and had them investigate the noise. Told them it started around the time I had them do the rear spring TSB. When I picked it up they said they found a loose parking brake bracket or something like that which I figure was probably a result of the TSB work. Haven't heard the noise since, so that's probably what it was.

10. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Bushings on my rack are bad causing the pop

11. Sep 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    318motorsports

318motorsports Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Tint K&N Drop in Pioneer DVD head unit SeatBelt B-off
    It was the parking brake bracket by the leaf pack. I had that same noise. I got a crawler and went over everything that I had touched while doing my 3 inch Toytec lift and the last thing i checked was it. No noises now!!! Yea!! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top