1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension for DIY off-road utility trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by bmgreene, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Jul 14, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Now that I've got my leaf packs replaces with Alcan packs, I'm thinking about building a smallish off-road utility/RTT trailer based on something like a M416-type design or else built around a salvage truck bed/frame.

I'm wondering if it'd be safe/advisable to use my stock leaf springs - 2010 TRD Off-Road package, pre-recall 2-leaf + overload packs which were probably sagging 1-2" before I replaced them. Seems like the lower weight of this kind of trailer compared to what they'd be carrying on a full truck that's hauling/towing should mean there's little risk of the kind of failures the recall is about (and the lack of a gas tank under the trailer would mean less risk if it somehow did break), but also might mean the springs would be too stiff for that weight and lead to a lot of bouncing on rough terrain, especially with an articulated hitch.

Can anyone with experience building these kinds of trailers shed any light here?

2. Jul 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Its definitely safe. but maybe a little overkill. I'm running procomp +4 jeep leaf springs.

3. Jul 14, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    If it's practical, I'm thinking it has the double benefit of putting the springs that are currently leaning on the wall in my garage to some use, and that it's got a zero marginal cost for me.

I also have the stock coils and shocks off the truck since I lifted the front end and upgraded to 5100s all around, so I could even make coilovers for the trailer by just getting some top hats and bushing kits, then use those with a single-link suspension since the trailer would have a solid axle (if I go the route of building a frame and box from scratch). Might be a little softer than the leafs and possibly more durable as well, but also very economical.

Going the coil spring route might also open the door to using some old coils I've got from my RX-8 that've been sitting around for 12 years now (I'd have to look up the spring rate on those, but they're not designed for long-travel, so maybe not in this application).

Products Discussed in

To Top