1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension input

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kylestaco, May 13, 2020.

1. Aug 3, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    I feel like I've seen an "optimal" speed for washboard: Too slow, and you feel all of every bump. A little faster, and the truck kind of skims over the top. Any faster than that and no more advantage is observed, and excessive speed brings disadvantages when you hit non-washboard bumps.

The best thing to smooth the washboard is def airing down the tires, and after that, different shocks do perform differently, sometimes without spending more money. The stock shocks on my 94 'runner were probably garbage at 140K miles, but they ran washboard way smoother than the 5100's on my 2000 Tacoma. (Then again, that might have had something to do with coil springs in the rear instead of leafs. :rolleyes:)

2. Aug 8, 2020 at 9:14 PM
    ARCHIVE

ARCHIVE Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, '22 Tundra, '91 Cummins
    2.5" Fox relocation * Hammer hanger * Archive MD springs
    Interesting post, so here's a little opinion input from the Hammer hanger designer.
    Before Hh, on my 2nd gen, I ran the Archive shackle flip which has similar shackle plates to 1st gen design. This was still with stock 3/1 springs. I then mounted my prototype Hammer hangers and a few hours later drove 700 miles to NC for Overland Expo east. I was dumbfounded by the difference in both ride and handling. I could feel a difference from first 100ft I drove it. It was sweet

I feel this would have a similar effect on the 1st gen Tacoma ride quality, possibly a decent improvement in handling. The best would be with a cross tube to connect hangers.

DO NOT waste your time with 2nd/3rd gen stock hangers they are flexible trash that make the rear jitter and bounce

Products Discussed in

To Top