1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension issues, Remove Ready-Lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sp3edD3m0n, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Oct 13, 2017 at 10:30 AM
    Sp3edD3m0n

Sp3edD3m0n [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD
    Hi All,

I am new to the board and have a few questions I hope someone knowledgeable can help with. I purchased a 2014 Tacoma DC TRD used last year which already had a suspension kit installed. I believe it to be the a Ready Lift leveling kit (manual found in glove compartment) with spacers in the front and a block spacer in the back. The truck has 89k miles and has original bilstein 4600 I believe.

My issue is that the truck has started vibrating excessively at 80mph, if I slow down to 70 mph it is less noticeable but still there. At 80 mph I can see the passenger seat vibrating back and forth to the point where I can hear it. So, I took the truck in to Firestone to get it checked out and they said my front right strut was leaking and needed replacement. They also said that it is causing tire cupping.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Would a leaking strut be a sound reason for that amount of shaking?
    2. Would a leaking strut cause tire cupping?
    3. If I buy a Bilstein 5100s do I have to remove the ready lift kit to install?
    4. Will the Bilstein 5100s be the same ride height if I do have to remove the ready lift kit?
    5 Will the Bilstein 5100s clear my 285/65/18 (33"s I believe)?

Thanks in advacne for all the help.

2. Oct 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Yes Bilstein 5100's will clear your 33" tires with the correct springs mated to them. Contact Marie at @HeadStrong Off-Road so she can get you going in the right direction. You'll have to remove your old lift to install the new one.

3. Oct 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    The blown shock can cause many issues. High speed vibration and tire cupping are causes. I'm surprised that firestone didn't recommend a tire balance while you were there to eliminate the possibility of that.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Oct 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    Sp3edD3m0n

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD
    It might be because I mentioned to them that I had rotated the tires and vibrating diminished very slightly.

If I switch to the 5100, do I need to get new springs then?

5. Oct 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Need, no, you can use your stock springs and put the adjustment clip at the highest setting. I would recommend new springs for improved ride quality though.

6. Oct 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Thank you so much for your recommendation @Texoma :oldglory:

Dhannah and Texoma[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Oct 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    You're welcome Marie

8. Oct 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    Sp3edD3m0n

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD
    Thank you for your assistance Texoma. I will reach out to HS for quote.

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top