1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Lift (OME?) '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab/Potential Tire/Wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Griff 99 TRD, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Griff 99 TRD

Griff 99 TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab 4x4
    K&N FIPK OME w/883s Air Raid TBS Trailgear Bumper Smoked Lights Mean Green Alternator JL Audio Sub/Amp HAT Speakers Pioneer Head Unit ARB bumper XD 128 16x8 wheels Odyssey battery BAMF Sliders Camburg UCAs
    Hi, all!

I just joined the forum and am looking forward to learning a lot about my '99 Toyota Tacoma and '05 4Runner from all of you sages out there.

So, on to my current issue:

- I'm looking to install a 3" suspension lift on to my '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab. I'm not concerned with the cost as much as am with purchasing the best lift for my truck. I am looking for a kit that will allow me to perform any task life throws at me. In addition, my Tacoma is the truck I use on a daily basis.
    - My buddy, a certified mechanic, recommended Old Man Emu's (OME) heavy duty lift kit. Recommendations?
    - When installing a lift kit, what do I need to be concerned with? I want the transition from stock to 3" lift to be seamless. No vibrations, no issues whatsoever.
    - Lastly, what size wheel and tire can I purchase that will compliment a 3" suspension? Ideally, I'd like to have my tires stick out in order to create a wider wheel base and, in my opinion, a more aggressive looking truck; however, I don't want to sacrifice performance, reliability and safety in order to attain this look. Opinions?

Thanks, everyone!! Stay safe!!

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    pivey14

pivey14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Fuel Clash 6 17” wheels 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 1.5” Level Kit TRD Pro Grille with Raptor Lights TRD Pro Floor Liners TRD Pro Shifter Knob Lunar Rock Interior Trim

Your buddy is right, this is a really quality lift that will achieve 3". Just select your options according to the directions of toytech's specifications. The largest tire you can fit is a 285/75/16 with some slight trimming. A lot of other guys/gals on here like to run a 255/85/16 which is a taller tire that looks really good, but isn't necessarily what you want. Basically, the higher you go in tire and whell size the more expensive. A larger wheel gives you a bigger side wall which has a higher probablity of becoming scratched through tough terrain (its a truck haha). That size wheel is really up to you and how much you want to spend. Do a little research and find out how big of tires you can fit on each wheel.

Best of luck to you!

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Griff 99 TRD

Griff 99 TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab 4x4
    K&N FIPK OME w/883s Air Raid TBS Trailgear Bumper Smoked Lights Mean Green Alternator JL Audio Sub/Amp HAT Speakers Pioneer Head Unit ARB bumper XD 128 16x8 wheels Odyssey battery BAMF Sliders Camburg UCAs
    Thanks for your help, guys! I'm definitely going to get this lift! Do you think I need to worry about the CV angle with this suspension lift? And if so, should I go ahead and get the differential drop kit?

Products Discussed in

To Top