1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Questions 2004 4x4

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cmat1120, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Apr 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    cmat1120

cmat1120 [OP] Member

Member:
    I've done some research and there's plenty of threads talking about this, I know, but the majority talk about going from stock to something else. I bought this truck with rancho shocks(struts? idk, they say rancho on them). I'm pretty sure that's the only modification to the truck's suspension. I'm wondering what's the cheapest option to get a little lift? And the main reason for making my own thread is I've seen people talk about just doing leafs and rancho struts, but I'm confused since I already have those and its not lifted. I'd like to stay level all around and don't need a lot of lift 3" would be the absolute max I would want, but I'd be happy with 1.5-2". Thing's I've seen that sound good(and cheap): AAL and Front strut spacer. I have read that going AAL route = really stiff ride though which I don't really wan't. If what I'm looking for just doesn't exist(cheaply) than I'd love to know and totally get it, I'll just stay stock then.

Also I'm not a fan of the axle wrap and wheel hop. Would tuffcountry traction bars be enough to tame that down? (Just get it when I try and take off kinda quick)

Thanks!

2. Apr 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Cheap options would be a body lift, or spacers and blocks. None of those options are the best but they're the cheapest.

If you were to do it semi-right, you'd have to go Bilstein 5100s and preload the shock to the desired height. Or you could buy lifting coils from OME and the ride would be slightly better. The rear you could AAL but the ride would suffer. Blocks wouldn't have axle wrap but it would just make those OEM springs frown even more. Since you're a first gen, it's about time to just replace the entire pack. Depending on variables like how much lift you want, how much you tow and haul, etc, you'd have to find the right leaf pack.

Good luck,

PS, try to stay under 2.5". You'll usually have to buy aftermarket UCAs to get back into alignment specs over 2.5".

3. Apr 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    cmat1120

cmat1120 [OP] Member

Member:
    Appreciate the info! So these(880 or 881) on my current front, plus a new rear leaf pack would be the most cost effective way to do it right for a 1.5-2.5" suspension lift? If I'm gonna lift it I want to actually gain the clearance too so I don't want to do a body lift.

That other option: spacers and blocks. Is that technically a suspension lift? (spacer on the strut and a block somewhere on the leaf I'm guessing?) Is the biggest downside to that a really stiff ride or something? Those seem super cheap and easy to do myself so it might be a good first step to see how I like it.

Btw, I've been modifying vehicles my whole life, but up until now its always been sports cars and motorcycles. This lift stuff is entirely foreign to me so please excuse any silly questions or assumptions lol.

4. Apr 29, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    I'm not 100% sure what shock model you have with rancho. So those springs may or may not fit. I just know that they'll fit Bilstein 5100s.

Spacers and blocks are in the suspension but idk if everyone would call it a suspension lift since it's not exactly the suspension that's gaining you lift.

All a spacer does, is preloads the shock, netting you clearance. But since shocks aren't made for that, they do damage to the shock when fully articulating. Rare cases even break the bottom mounting point on the shock. (Keep in mind I've had a spacer on my OEM shocks and beat the crap out of my truck in the desert with speeds up to 75mph. On top of that I offroad regularly in mud, gravel, dirt roads, whatever. Never broke anything. Some people are just more prone to breaking shocks with spacers. It's just a gamble really.) The block in the rear goes under the leaf pack. Neither the spacer or the block will impact the ride as long as the spacer is aluminum and not plastic/rubbery.

5. Apr 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    cmat1120

cmat1120 [OP] Member

Member:
    Awesome! I really appreciate the info. I think I'll do the spacer/block setup first and see how I like it.

One thing I noticed though. I took a good hard look at my current suspension and it looks identical to this setup, but there is absolutely no labeling left so I can't tell for sure. Colors are right, little red thing at bottom of strut is there, red spacer thing at bottom of spring is there, etc. Does anyone know of any measurements I can take to see if my truck already has that 1.75" lift? If it does can I add another 1" spacer/block kit or will I run into issues with the front diff, alignment etc.?

6. Apr 29, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Youd have to search for the Hub to Fender measurement for stock trucks. Depends on what engine, model, generation you are. A lot of people would steer away from "stacking lifts". I assume that would damage the shocks very easily and leave almost no down travel and would give a bad ride. Not sure about the differential, I've never read any problems about the front diff from lifts.

But again, most anything over 2.5" will need UCAs for alignments, but every truck is different and you just have to find out after the lift.

Also forgot to mention, if you're 4WD, the higher you go, the more easily you'll ruin and go through CV axles. People who wheel a lot often bring extras in case they have a failure on the trails.

7. Apr 29, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    cmat1120

cmat1120 [OP] Member

Member:
    Sounds like I'll just stick with these guys then. Maybe I'll do some measurements/ take it to a shop I trust and see if this suspension is still working like it should and as long as it is just leave it like it is. Honestly I'm happy with the truck as is I just figured it might be worth doing a little lift to have some more clearance and fit 33's(cheap around here). Sounds like if I already have 1.75" of lift then 33's should fit fine with a little trimming inside the fender.

8. May 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    cmat1120

cmat1120 [OP] Member

Member:
    So after some "testing"(Finally got the truck a little dirty), I've come to the conclusion my current suspension is very worn out. I'm looking at doing a bilstein kit like this, but I can't find information on what coils to use that wont add additional height. I want 2.5" lift and the truck close to level(so maybe a 1" block in the rear).

Products Discussed in

To Top