1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension questions for a TRD Off-Road.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ITGB, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:11 AM
    ITGB

ITGB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Tacoma TDR Off-Road
    I have a 2022 TRD Off-road MT with a ranch topper and am towing a small camper (3k pounds). I've noticed a little sag in the back end while towing and even just from the topper. I live in Wisconsin, so I'm not sure how much true off-roading I will be doing.
    My question is, what is everyone doing to fix the sag? Do I go for airbags, a leaf spring enhancement kit, weight distribution hitch, or just replace the rear shocks?

2. Apr 26, 2023 at 11:29 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    The springs on each corner of your ride are what handle the static load of the vehicle, the shocks are what handle the dynamic load. I would focus on adjusting for the the static load. How you do that is up to you and each method has its costs and benefits. My roof top tent and decked drawer setup caused me to hit the bump stops on light trails constantly so I first installed a Hellwig Helper Spring and then upgraded to a set of Dakar rear leafs when I was ready for a 2.5 inch lift. You may be good with bags if you are just getting slight sagging. There are threads on helper springs, air bags, and suspension setups. Do a little searching on this site and you should find what you need. It is all a matter of budget and future planning.

For me, I couldn't imaging towing without my heavy dakars after pulling my 3500# off road travel trailer with them for 10k plus miles.

3. Apr 26, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    ITGB

ITGB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Tacoma TDR Off-Road
    Thanks!

4. Apr 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    To fix the sag, specifically, you'll need up upgrade the leaf springs, either with an add-a-leaf or leaf pack replacement. There are many options to choose from. I would not recommend a block in this case as you've increased the weight of the truck.

Upgrading the shocks also can help control the weight, and is recommended if you install taller leaf springs, but you can absolutely upgrade the leaves and then see how the truck performs if you do not lift it too much (1" or so over stock) with the stock shocks. Upgraded shocks themselves will not provide any lift though.

5. May 1, 2023 at 5:24 PM
    AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    blue Sumosprings.

6. May 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM
    goingplacesanddoingstuff

goingplacesanddoingstuff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    2.5” OME lift, Koenig Six Shooter wheels, 275/70r17 Nokian Outpost AT, CMC, Nitro 4.88s, Greenlane aluminum sliders, CBI aluminum skid, Greenlane aluminum front bumper, Out Gear Solutions HC rear bumper, Baja SAE fogs
    Second the blue sumo springs. They’re relatively cheap, they work great, and you can use them with a lift later.

Products Discussed in

To Top