1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swap 09 AC rear seats with 05-08 rear seats?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atebit, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    atebit

atebit [OP] What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    So after months of debate, today I "upgraded" my truck to an 09 PreRunner AC. I knew that one of the first "hard" mods I wanted to do (after the "easy" head-unit swap out, which is definitely #1 on the list) was to do something about what Toyota did to the rear headrests & seats starting in '09.

In another TW thread, I found a great link to a ToyotaNation thread for removing the read headrests:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=264071

In that thread, several folks mention that it appears to be possible to do a wholesale swap of the 09 rear bench with one from an 05-08, but that's where the topic ended.

I've searched around TW & haven't found anything on the topic. But for those of us who like to use the rear of the cab to carry things rather than people, this has got to be a hot topic. Has anybody here on TW tried this or have any ideas how to go about it?

2. Aug 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    atebit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    In my case, humans will rarely, if ever, occupy the rear seat. Luggage, computer bags, boxes, etc. will, though. The rear center console, fiip-up seats and flip-down headrests all get in the way & make it hard to stack cargo back there, in addition to taking up valuable cargo space themselves.

3. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I didn't think a normal sized human could fit, let alone want to be, in the back of an Access Cab. Hauling pint sized pip squeeks wouldn't need the head rests due to their lack of height.

Do people that have Access Cabs actually have normal sized humans ride in the back?

4. Aug 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I'm not talking girls. I'm talking women. Just remember, twelve will get you twenty.

5. Aug 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i occasionally have people in my rear seats but like the OP its 99% for cargo. i removed my headrests and the center console but i would also much rather have an 05-08 style backseat too.

6. Aug 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    atebit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    From the headrest thread at ToyotaNation, the scuttlebutt was that it was do-able, since apparently the mount points for the 08-style rear are still there on the 09s, and whatever mount points were needed for the "improved" rear were simply added to those parts of the chassis.

I understand the rear center console lifts off by removing four bolts, but I don't know if that would be the best place to start the forensics or not. Anybody know where we can find assembly diagrams of that area for the 08's and 09s? I'd ask at my parts dept., but I'd probably get the stock "you can't do that" answer...

Products Discussed in

To Top