1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swaping for OEM with bluetooth

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by farmdog, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    farmdog

farmdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Dbl. Cab Sport
    LED lights
    Immediately after I picked up my 09 tacoma I wished that I had opted for the bluetooth radio. I was wondering if it is possible and how difficult it would be to swap out my OEM 6 disc head unit for the OEM bluetooth version. I have steering wheel radio controls but no bluetooth controls or microphone. I was told by the dealer that the backup camera can easily be installed in any 09 or newer tacoma so that makes me hopeful that the bluetooth wiring harness is already in place. Does anyone know anything about this? Also anyone have recommendations on where to pick up the bluetooth version? I don't want to stray away from the factory look or OEM equipment.

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Somebody else can confirm 100%, but it is likely that bluetooth requires no additional wiring. I bet you can swap them right out and be good to go.

It may cost you a pretty penny to have the dealer do it though, making an aftermarket HU with blutooth built in worth considering... IMO

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    digit748

digit748 Member

Member:
    4x4, USB, more to come, less than 100mi on truck and already addicted
    I just picked up a new nav/dvd head unit. Selling my 2009 JBL® Satellite Audio [1] and Bluetooth® [2] (SN) -- JBL® Audio Package: AM/FM CD with 6-disc changer, auxiliary audio input, MP3-capable CD player, on-board satellite radio

LESS THAN TWO MONTHS OLD

First $200 (plus shipping) takes it!!!

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Keep in mind that the wire harness is different I think for the JBL's. Theyhave a different set of plugs than the non-JBL.

as for the OP, here is the skinny: You can certainly add the steering wheel controls, both Audio and BT, w/o any problem. The real problem is gettng the mic. On the OEM, it is in the rear view mirror. This mirror is pricey and IMHO not worth the cash. Unless you MUST have OEM, go with an aftermarket headunit. If you go w/ Eclipse, then you do not need any other adapter. You just need to tap into 3 wires on the factory 20pin harness. If you go Kenwood or Pioneer you will need the SWI interface. Other radios I am not sure on. I looked into doing the same thing and found that it was just too expensive.

I cannot say 100% if you need the JBL unit. If you do not mind a new headunit, that would be the way to go and then add the BT steering controls. If you want to keep your stock headunit, go with ou can either the Blu-Logic or a Parrot system. You will not have the OEM controls onthe steering wheel but if you get a Parror system with an IR remote you can clip that to the wheel. Both units are top-notch with my edge going to Parrot.

Hope that helps you out.

5. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    Rockcitytaco

Rockcitytaco New Member

Member:
    St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport Quad Cab Long Bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Trinity Programmer, Akuza 381 Rims, 24x10, Falken STZ04 295/35/24, Kenwood DNX 8120, 500GB Hard Drive, 160GB Apple Ipod, JL 10w3 Subs in Super Crew Sounds Sub Enclosure. Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Tonneau Bed Cover, Pop & Lock, Fatty Billet Antennae, APC Super White Xenon Bulbs.
    I have an 08 Tacoma CD LB that came w/o the steering wheel radio control. I have a Kenwood DNX 8120 Head unit installed but would steering wheel control. Is it possible to swap out steering wheel and tie into the wiring harness?:)

IMG_0111.jpg

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

Yes you can. The issue is with the steering pad that has the airbag in it. On trucks w/o the sterring wheel controls, the pad is larger. You will need to replace that and then buy the steering wheel controls. Might turn out to be pricey unless you can find a used steering wheel from a junkyard.

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Rockcitytaco

Rockcitytaco New Member

Member:
    St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport Quad Cab Long Bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Trinity Programmer, Akuza 381 Rims, 24x10, Falken STZ04 295/35/24, Kenwood DNX 8120, 500GB Hard Drive, 160GB Apple Ipod, JL 10w3 Subs in Super Crew Sounds Sub Enclosure. Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Tonneau Bed Cover, Pop & Lock, Fatty Billet Antennae, APC Super White Xenon Bulbs.
    I think I will try and locate a steering wheel from the junk shop. I was mainly concerned about the wiring. I would like to make as few mods as possible.

Cheers

IMG_0147.jpg

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    BlackRig

BlackRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5
  9. Oct 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    car15

car15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 X-Runner
    I bought a new Blue Logic kit from Ebay for $100 plus free shipping from a dealer in Canada. The installation was easy and works like a champ!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Oct 21, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    If u do a Hu swap will the bluetooth controls work on the after market hu?

i have an in dash alpine xm and bt ready?.

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Some makes of HU's do work with the SWI (latest version) adapter. I know Kenwood and Pioneer work fine. Elcipse is ust 3 wires to tap into on the factory harness. As for Alpine, as far as I know it will not work yet. I would give alpine a call or send an emal and talk to someone about that. BT controls are on more and more cars. The people that make aftermarket HU's would be silly to not cash in on them as most have BT either built it or on a plug-in module. Why not incude such a way to utilize the factory steering wheel controls. That could be the difference between two style of HU's for the consumer

Hope there is a way for ya.

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Another option is getting a Garmin GPS with bluetooth. They don't sound amazing, but they work well.

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    Thanks for the reply. let me know in case u have news on that

Again thanks appreciate it!

Products Discussed in

To Top