1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway bar bolt at frame just turns and turns???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Fabulous, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I'll try it again myself today...if I can't get it done I'll phone the dealership...it's 4 blocks away. Seeing as this happened when using hand tools this would be considered a vehicle fault no? I was barely turning it with one hand. I wonder if they have ever come accross this before?! I'll let you know how it pans out. Thanks guys.

2. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Well, I ended up having to get a mobile welder come and weld the nut back to the inside of the frame. I told the guy it would be a challenge, and it sure was...I had to hold a flashlight for him to see in the frame, and ended up getting a very hot piece of spark through my sweater, and through about 8/10 of my forearm skin...OUCH! Anyway, he was able to get it done, and I torqued it up...now all I need is my alignment. 5100's at 0.85 and Eibach in the front (2.25") and a 2" AAL which as of right now is at 2.4". Looks great!

3. Sep 11, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
    Glad you got it fixed! Now...I think we need to see pics of the truck! :D

4. Sep 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    As soon as I get an alignment, and give it a wash I'll post some pics. I never took before pictures as all it's been doing here is raining :( I did take before measurements though, so that'll have to do I guess.

5. Dec 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    JDR07

JDR07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    Duct Tape
    I know this is an old thread but how much did that welder cost you?

6. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    vpcustoms

vpcustoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    Damn! Same thing happened to me today. I think I will just cut the bolt off ant try to tap the frame with a fine thread tap. Hopefully there is enough thickness there to hold a bolt. Otherwise i don't know what I can do. Anyone else have this happen? Hate to take everything apart and weld the damn thing that sounds like a pain in the ass. Not sure how you can even get a welding gun in there. Anyone come up with a clever/easy way to fix this?

7. Jun 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    Fishin' Taco

Fishin' Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4wd DC Speedway Blue Tacoma Sport
    URD Short throw, Billy 5100s w/ 2" lift, upgraded leaf springs, bull side bars, weathertech visors/bug deflector, tonneau cover
    This happened to me last night while changing diff needle bearing. As if getting to the diff wasn't bad enough. This really pissed me off because the bracket w/ slot side bolt came out all the way but go figure not the one that must come out for sway bar to be removed. So sway bar was loose but in my way all night. Going to cut it today I care less of the nut till it makes bloody noise. :itllbuffout: This is 2nd frame welded nuts (different areas) to friggin fail. Did you tap it or self tapping?

:ballchain:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  8. Jun 20, 2015 at 7:17 AM
    Fishin' Taco

Fishin' Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4wd DC Speedway Blue Tacoma Sport
    URD Short throw, Billy 5100s w/ 2" lift, upgraded leaf springs, bull side bars, weathertech visors/bug deflector, tonneau cover
    It was the bolt toward rear of truck. Cut it with low profile hacksaw. magnet catch the nut inside frame and pull out thru oval hole a foot down frame. Drilled 7/16 hole thru to top for a 5 ½ x ⅜ " bolt, washers, locknut. Went from original hole up thru an existing smaller hole in frame; just made it bigger.

Products Discussed in

To Top