1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway Bar delete with aftermarket suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mike402, May 20, 2022.

1. May 20, 2022 at 11:39 AM
    Mike402

Mike402 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Curious if anyone has removed their swaybar and also has aftermarket coils. I'm getting noises from my swaybar bushings, and on the fence about either replacing the bushings or removing it altogether.

For reference I have a full Fox 2.5 Mid travel setup from Accutune, along with front and rear steel bumpers and full steel skids. Thinking the suspension in addition to all the extra weight would limit body roll on my rig.

I'm about 60% pavement, 40% offroad at the moment. Mostly easy to intermediate trails, no hard core rock climbing.

Any thoughts or experiences out there would be much appreciated.

2. May 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Many folks have done both. But what you like is what's important.

Drop it and see how you like the results with a few days of driving.

Add it back if you like that better.

wi_taco likes this.
  3. May 20, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I pulled my sway bar when I put a 2" lift (OME 885s on Billy 5100s set to 0 in front and custom leaf packs in the back) on my pre-runner then drove it from LA to Denver via smaller highways (over Monarch Pass) and took it to Moab for a week. There was a bit of an adjustment period early on, but that might also be because I was splitting driving between the Tacoma and a Mazda RX8 that corners on rails.

6+ years later, I still don't miss the sway bars and the Tacoma is still my daily driver.

4. May 20, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Pull it and drive around for a bit. You may also find out that the sway bar may not even be the cause of the noise

wi_taco likes this.
  5. May 20, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Good to know. If you don't mind, what adjustment period was there? The way you drove it, or just getting used to the new way it handled?

6. May 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Just getting used to a little extra body roll going through the mountains. I was pretty much used to it by the time I reached Denver (about 6 hours of windy roads from Silverton to Denver).

You might not notice it much out there in the desert since there's not as much reason for the roads to curve. Just don't try to drive it like a sports car in town and you'll be fine

wi_taco likes this.
  7. May 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I replaced the body support bushings, greased my Icon Delta Joint & UCA bushings and still got the noise. I then loosened the sway bar brackets and sprayed the bushings with Superlube spray and the noise went away, for a while. Now its back and I'm nearly certain its the sway bushings again (same exact noise). So I'm at the point of replacing these bushings or just pulling it off completely.

8. May 20, 2022 at 12:00 PM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Actually I go out to Big Bear quite a bit, and its a long windy mountain road to get there.

bmgreene[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I yanked mine off at 800 miles and haven't missed it. Similar setup (ADS 2.5's) and it feels incredibly stable thru twisties. Performs great offroad as well. Also rides smoother on and off the pavement. I highly doubt you'd miss it.

To be fair it doesn't compare to my dd tuner that is setup for handling, but it's a truck.

10. May 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield One Larry a day keeps the money away ™ Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    On my 2nd gen with the TRD 6112s I removed the sway bar and it made the ride sooo much better. Allowed the front to actually be independent instead of jerking the truck around. Still handled great on road as well. Obviously your suspension and truck is different so I'd give it a shot and if it feels unsafe pop it back on.

wi_taco likes this.
  11. May 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Ok thanks for the replies! Consensus seems to be ok to yank it. Gonna pull it off tomorrow and see how it goes. With having to pull the RCI skid package off in order to pull it I’m not gonna be going back-and-forth if I can help it

Edit I just went outside and looked underneath, looks like there is plenty of room on the RCI skid to pull it through without having to remove it. My first win of the day!

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    LarryDangerfield likes this.
  12. May 20, 2022 at 1:29 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    I keep up with traffic going up and down big bear and lake Arrowhead with no issue. 2" lift, 35s, no swaybar. You'll be alright, let us know how you feel in a week

13. May 21, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Well quick update. I pulled off the swaybar today and test drove it. First negative is that you aren't able to remove it off through the openings on the RCI skid, so that meant having to remove the Transmission, Transfer & engine skids to get it off. No biggie as I have been meaning to get the cat protection wings bolted on anyhow.

I didn't like the amount of body roll and instability when doing maneuvers side to side. It seemed pretty planted going straight and cornering was decent, but I have a road trip to Wyoming coming up in June, where the wife is going to be driving as well, and the body movement wasn't confidence inspiring. Decided to throw the sway back on. Rather give up any little bit of extra flex offroad and maintain stability on the pavement. Got some new bushings and will superlube the hell out of them to hopefully stop the squeaks/creaks.

Does anyone have recommendations for sway bar disconnects that will work with my suspension setup?

LarryDangerfield likes this.
  14. May 23, 2022 at 8:59 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    As far as I've ever heard, the problem with using sway bar disconnects on a 2nd/3rd gen Tacoma is that there's no good way/place to tie up the detached bar to keep it out of the way.

wi_taco likes this.
  15. May 23, 2022 at 9:33 AM
    Mike402

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    Yea I can see that, was looking at it trying to think of a way to make it work. Makes me appreciate the electronic swaybar disconnects

16. May 25, 2022 at 9:57 AM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    I've been running no sway bar with my Eibach 2.0 coils for almost a year now. No ragrats. Takes a few hundred miles to adjust to the increased body roll but it isn't bad, plus I'm not driving the truck like it's a Pcar in the twisties :thumbsup:

17. May 25, 2022 at 11:01 PM
    Buttskevin21

Buttskevin21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2019 Brocoma, 37s, Lt, Dual Tcases, blah blah blah https://www.instagram.com/kevinjbutts/
    Stock-ish
    I drive mine like a racecar and the rear of my truck is incredibly soft, so I can pick a front tire off the ground around a roundabout lol get some funny looks.

Products Discussed in

To Top