1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway bar question

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BarberRider, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Oct 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM
    BarberRider

BarberRider [OP] Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    I'm installing top spacers and UCAs and the sway bar is in the way so I cant get the coilover out. Is this under tension? Its already disconnected from the spindle, but before unbolting it from the frame I wanted to make sure it wasnt going to spring.

2. Oct 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    ekazu808

ekazu808 Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport
    If you disconnected the sway bar ends there shouldn't be any tension on it. It is heavier than you think. might be caught up so it feels like its under tension.

3. Oct 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    this. the sway bar has no tension. Just be sure to undo the spindle on both sides. Also a piece of advice. At the mounting points for the sway bar. Go ahead and back out the rear bolt all the way but the front facing bolt leave half way in. The mounting brackets are notched and will make it a lot easier to put back in if you leave the fronts partially in place.

4. Oct 21, 2016 at 1:12 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    You don't need to entirely remove the sway bar to get the coils in/out - just disconnect it on both sides and rotate it out of the way.

5. Oct 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    Ok i lifted the whole front end and undid the sway bar on both sides. The motherfuckers still right in my way and I cant seem to move it but whatever. I mean its loose, but It won't go anywhere like if I wanted to enrirely remove it from the truck. I probably need a helper on the other side.

Anyway I've got my coilovers and UCAs out but Ive got a couple problems. First of all, with the 1.5" spacer on top, the coilover wont fit back in. It's just too long. The next is that these spacers force you to twist the coilover, so now the bottom of the shock doesnt align with the shock mount.

Help please

6. Oct 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    VangaSTL

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    You may have to use a 22m wrench to loosen the cam nuts on the lca. that will loosen the lca (be careful, once loose the lca will drop). as far as the mounts no lining up. you can use some vice grips on the top and a screw driver through the bottom mount and twist. You should be able to twist the post enough so it will line up correctly (this may take some effort, best if you have a 2nd pair of hands)

7. Oct 21, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    Ok thanks man one more question. Is the sway bar and skid drop they included necessary? I have 250lbs on the front so its already sagging over an inch

8. Oct 21, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    VangaSTL

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    However you really shouldn't have to loosen the lca, If your only doing a 1.5" lift, you should be able to press down on the lca enough to get the bottom shock bolt into the cradle

9. Oct 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    3" lift, 1.5" spacers. I got the shock in the mount but i cant get the bolt in and the lca is maxed.

When you say lca cam nuts do you mean where it connects to the frame on either side of the axle?

10. Oct 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    ekazu808

ekazu808 Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport

Products Discussed in

To Top