1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swaybar Removal Challenge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by steelhd, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Feb 22, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    steelhd

steelhd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    One of the topics here that is certain to raise emotions is removal of the front swaybar. There is no question that removing the swaybar will improve offroad performance. But opinions vary widely when it comes to performance and safety on the pavement. Some say that the first thing they did was delete the swaybar and their truck handles as good or better than stock. Others say that swaybar deleters are dangerous fools that are certain to eventually have a potentially tragic accident. Still others say it's okay as long as the suspension had been upgraded in particular ways. Who is right? Regardless of your opinion here is an opportunity show TW that you are right. Or maybe learn that you have been wrong. Like they say....put your money where your mouth is.

Set up a camera or enlist a buddy to take head on video of you taking the following test;

Washington RCW 204-10-036
    Suspension.
    A motor vehicle must be capable of stable, controlled operation while traversing a slalom-type path passing alternately to the left and right of at least four cones or markers arranged in a straight line and spaced sixty feet apart at a minimum speed of 25 mph.

FYI that test isn't some dangerous or even very difficult challenge. It is the test specified by the State of Washington to determine if a vehicle meets the MINIMUM requirements for safe handling.

Then post the video here along with your your specs. And don't cheat and not post a video just to protect your ego. Maybe some of us can actually learn something new.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Eastkat808, ptc075, Byb127 and 5 others like this.
  2. Feb 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Interesting.

I'm assuming the vehicle "passes" the test if it doesn't roll or raise a wheel off the ground(potentially rolling)?

I happen to have 4 cones in my garage, a truck with no sway bar, an IPhone 6, a camera woman and a safe area to perform such fuckery. :spy:

3. Feb 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Our first comes from @D-Rose
    2011 DCSB 4x4
    The front has kings with adjusters set at full stiff and all pro UCA.
    The back has kings non adjustable and wheelers progressive AAL
    No swaybar.

Next up is @Justinlhc
    No sway bar
    Icon 2.5 front with 600#
    Icon 2.0 rear with Deaver j66
    265/70/17
    17x9 0 offset
    25 mph

Smooth as butter. Even at 35 mph

Our third entry comes from @Torspd.
    ~28 mph in the first pass, and ~35 mph in second. Stock suspension, with TSB rear leaf springs, and poly sway bar bushings.

If you post a video in this thread tag me so I know to pay a link here on the front page.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Torspd, Byb127, Kyitty and 3 others like this.
  4. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    No way am I going to go out and actually try and flip my truck. Even with the sway bar ON and the Icons. However, I'm absolutely available for camera duty for anyone in the Dallas area! ;)

My stance on the matter is the sway bar does in fact improve handling and safety for daily daily driving. It is undeniably better to have it on for that purpose and for that purpose ALONE. Now, does that mean everyone who runs without a sway bar will die in a fiery crash? Absolutely not. The truck still performs just fine on the road. It simply performs BETTER with a sway bar. Off road is a different story since we aren't exploring the limits of mechanical grip and suspension articulation is desirable.

For those individuals pointing out that running without a sway bar increases mechanical grip (as defined as rubber traction literally meeting the road), that is correct. However, don't be so short sighted; you need to look at the whole picture. Too much mechanical grip will allow the driver to flip the vehicle before he hits the limits of grip. Not ideal. The optimal situation is to hit the limits of the grip just BEFORE the vehicle would flip. This is how vehicles are designed. And just to dispel this argument about "more grip" being good for us, know where that type of setup is used. Running no sway bar is sometimes done at the race track. You'll see Miata guys doing it. However, please remember they drive a car that's pretty much impossible to flip over. So when not running a sway bar they gain grip but sacrifice nothing (since they won't flip with the extra grip). Your Tacoma, is not so lucky. Yes, increasing spring rates and running bro-cool suspension will help control body roll but the effect isn't nearly as effective as running a sway bar.

And I'm going to quote myself from the original thread @steelhd just so I don't have to retype everything...

5. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I like arguing with strangers on the internet. Don't ruin my fun!

6. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM
    Nedrolls

Nedrolls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquille, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1999 Ext cab beater. 2016 Pro 4Runner(wife's)
    Yah! This will be interesting! :burnrubber:

THROTTLE231 likes this.
  7. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    That slalom isn't too bad. If my truck still had the IFS, I'd give it a shot. I used to corner my truck pretty hard without the swaybar. It's the slamming the brakes and swerving that will ruin your day. And there are quite a few stock SUVs that won't pass the moose test either.

8. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Soooo do I still pass the test if my truck doesn't roll? :notsure:

Nedrolls likes this.
  9. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I'm hitting anything in my way. I'll slam on my brakes, but I'm not swerving for shit if I'm going fast.

10. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    With flying colors

PottMatter likes this.
  11. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    As silly as it sounds, this is sort of my philosophy as well. In a "panic" situation, I fear I'd swerve and hit another car effectively doubling the cost of damage. Sure, if I think I'm going to die if I don't swerve you bet your ass I'm trying to turn the wheel whichever way will save my life.

LOLLY likes this.
  12. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    @kh7nm do it. You got dash cam and go pros. I'll give you a bullaculla lantern :rofl:

Pirhett likes this.
  13. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    You pass if your truck can do it.

14. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    dumontrider

dumontrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    I like where these last 3 things are headed. :popcorn:

[​IMG]

Chris24, Kpatt9, scary_larry and 23 others like this.
  15. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Are you challenging me :quickdraw:

My camera woman works a 12h shift tomorrow. After that... :burnrubber:

16. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    No way a vehicle that is safe to drive will flip while doing that test. Itv describes what the State of Washington considers the MINIMUM safe standard for handling.

17. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    i could probably do that in the dirt! haha.

If i get a chance ill give it a go. 4 cones, straight line, spaced 60 ft apart 25mph. ok.

Crom, Kyitty, Justinlhc and 1 other person like this.
  18. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    I would... But I don't want to do all the work to take it off... But if anyone with OME suspension has done this let me know the difference.

Kyitty likes this.
  19. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    My OR is stock and I'll give it a try. If some of us with swaybars don't post up there isn't a reference for the no swaybars vids,

20. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    You know, I totally miss-read your post. I thought you were wanting to see if people could do it FASTER than 25mph showing the limits of the truck. Yeah I could probably handle getting a video of doing it 25mph. Not sure I have a decent enough camera though.

Products Discussed in

To Top