1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swing away tool box

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hogeyphenogey, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Jun 25, 2015 at 4:14 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey [OP] Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    does anyone have one of these in their 2nd gen? I'm wondering how this affects the usage of the storage bin in the bed. I'm thinking of adding one on the driver's side as I have the outlet on the other side.

Anyone with this installed and an opinion?

2. Jun 25, 2015 at 5:29 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I've never seen a swing away toolbox. Do you have an example of one?

3. Jun 25, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    Zollars

Zollars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod
    I have an undercover swing box installed on both sides. I can still get to the stock storage bins, and the bed power with ease. A little weird to open the storage bins with the mounts, but you don't lose any functionality. I will take a picture of what I mean in a bit, but until then, here are the boxes installed!

4. Jun 25, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Is the little yellow handle to unlock them for swinging out? How do they stay up against the bed sides? In the pic I saw, there appears to be a bracket you mount on the bed side that would cover up the cubby.

Interested to see the mounts.

5. Jun 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod
    Correct, the yellow handles pull a bar on the backside, releasing it from the forward clamp mount, allowing for swing. They sit nice and parallel to the bedsides, not flush, but I really like how they sit.

I will grab some pictures of the mounts here soon and post em for ya!

6. Jun 25, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Cool, Thank you!

7. Jun 25, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Couldn't get out if work earlier, so I took some pictures with my spare still in, so I couldn't swing them out, hopefully they will work.

Two pictures of how they sit

Kind of a step by step on stock bin access. It's a little finicky, but do it a few times and it's easy. But I have so much more space in the swing cases I don't use them anymore.

8. Jun 25, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    I like the way these look, anyone know the price on these?

9. Jun 25, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Right around $400 from Auto Anything

Usethe2nd likes this.
  10. Jun 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
  11. Jun 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    $400 for both, $200 for one.

So you save a little on Amazon

12. Jun 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    That looks like the old model also

13. Jun 25, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Cool! I routed my tow wiring up into my left side cubby so I need to be able to access it. I run a 4pin wire out through the tailgate when I tow my camper.

I like that box!

14. Jun 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    It's amazingly usefull, and they can open freely withou swinging out if your fully loaded

15. Jun 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    Thanks, I wonder if oreillys can get them in? I get a huge discount via my work, I try to order everything through them if I can

16. Jun 26, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    fireman903

fireman903 Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 taco
    3 inch lift 33 in tires undercover emergency responder light 30 rigid led light bar bed lights engine compartment lights
    and if I am correct they are easy to take out if need just lift the box off the hinge and the mount stay and gives you full access to the whole bed I have been looking in to these just waiting for funds to buy

17. Jun 26, 2015 at 5:20 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Correct, the new version boxes can also be locked so they can't be removed from the mounts

Products Discussed in

To Top