1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switch Pros 9100 install and BS thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PNWTacoma, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Dec 17, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    So a lady called me earlier today. She just said that she was sorry I was having trouble with the app and said they are a very small family owned company of 9 people and that they hire someone to do the app which makes sense, but then she also said that she didn’t think that the IOS App was properly tested and that the developer preferred Android as it is superior (not making this up, this is what she said lol).

I told her that the app was is out there to work with their device and explained the issue where you get the processing loading page on “anything” you click on the app, but she never said she would have this issue checked, send it to the developer or let the owners know etc., so not sure if an action will be taken.

Checked the app in the App Store and the last update was done 10 months ago, so that may also explain the issue we are having with this new Switch Pro version (SB9100).

Anyway, hopefully they check it out and fix this and if you are having this issue, you should let them know at SwitchPro as it didnt' seem as they are aware of this issue or at least that is the impression I got from the call I got.

Red18Taco707 and Parker315 like this.
  2. Dec 17, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    FivePancakes

FivePancakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Tacoma TRD Pro
    The Android app was just updated yesterday.

3. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:10 PM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    I just tried it with my back up android phone and did the same thing. Yes, noticed that the app was just updated for Android and says that it was to fix connectivity problems, perhaps issues with the older Switch Pro device.

4. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    Any one has the anytime backup and front camera hooked up to the Switch Pro ?

5. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    I’ve thought about doing a front camera and rear anytime but haven’t gotten to it. Probably once spring rolls around.

6. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    Cool. I just ordered the kit and looks like the option I want (bot switches to work independent) is a little more complex to hook up, at least complex to me lol, so I’m hoping someone can share how they hooked this kit up.

7. Dec 18, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    cemented

cemented Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO Cement AT Maggy 87mm
    Mine is hooked up both independently, but I have the front switch setup as a master switch so I don't have to fumble for both buttons to turn it on. I believe IIRC that you only have to hook up one wire for the rear override because one of the wires in the harness kit is powered. So you hook up the wire for the rear override without power to one of the switch outputs. The front I hooked up the relay power and front camera power on the same circuit that way the camera is only on when the relay is on. For the front I ran the power and ground to the switch pros. I hope this makes sense. Rear 1 wire / front 2 wires unless you ground it behind the stereo.

68A484C6-733A-4F48-8698-E6785E82D7F4.jpg

Jessrin and PNWTacoma[OP] like this.
  8. Dec 18, 2018 at 6:38 AM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    I think I’m understanding right and should be able to hook the kit, but a little confused about the Master switch and how this works. What do you mean by turning both switches on (front and back camera) with the master switch? Does this enable the two switches so you can view either cameras by clicking on each switch?

Thanks for the assistance.

PNWTacoma[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 18, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    cemented

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    The master switch function is so that you don't have to press the rear camera override before pressing the front camera relay switch. Another example of master switch function is if you had an air locker and compressor. You set the locker as master and it will turn on the compressor at the same time so you don't have to push both switches. You would still have to turn off both switches.

10. Dec 18, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    Here's how I understand how to use the SP and a front/rear camera setup through etunes:

To trick the etunes screen into showing a camera feed, you have to break a circuit on one of hte wires in the back of the radio. if you break that curcuit, the screen will show the rear camera.

If you have a front camera, and extra step has to happen... basically, in addition to breaking that circuit, you have to redirect the video feed from the rear camera to the front camera.

so to use the switch pro, one switch breaks the circuit to trick etunes (labeled rear camera, as that's all you have to do to do that circuit). If you want the front camera, then you have to have 2 switches fire on the switchpro... the rear camera (trick etunes) and the circuit to redirect and use the front camear feed. If you link the two switches by making the front camera button a master, and the rear camera (i.e. trick etunes) one a slave, then you only have to push one button for the front camera (but two switches fire on the SP).

Question for those that use the switchpro for the cameras... can the switch pro be programmed such that when you press the rear camera it breaks a circuit instead of completes a circuit? I was always curious about this when I thought about using the SP for cameras (I just went with a On-Off-On DPDT switch for cameras).

11. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    Good explanations guys.

So with this setup, you only click on either the front or back switch to view each camera (2 clicks) vs my initial understanding that you had to click the master first, then either of the two switches for a total of 3 clicks or am I totally lost now?

12. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    Hextall

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I think you got it... you only do one click for each camera with the master/slave setup. If you didn't set it up like that, for the front you'd have to first click the rear, then the front (or in teh opposite order)... so two clicks for the front camera.

This is why the Switchpro costs >$500... it has interesting and useful features.

Shellshock likes this.
  13. Dec 18, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    Nice, I’m sure ill

Thanks, so this is what I've gathered and how I will be connecting this kit Friday morning, is it right?

Rear Override Harness: Red cable goes to the Switch Pros (Switch 3) and ground it – this is for the Back Camera.

Switching Relay Connector: Red cable connects to the Red from the camera and then to the Switch Pros switch (Switch 4) and ground them – this is for the Front Camera.

The other thing I loved about this Switch Pros is that I could dim down my lights and keep the set setting... I have 3 Raptor-like lights and were very bright and I was able to dim them to about 50% and lets me keep that setting when the truck is on.

14. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    Its worth every penny and I'm only running a light bar and ditch lights at the moment. The clean install, ease of use and customization are definitely worth it in my book.

15. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    cemented

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean by breaks the circuit. With the switch pro you only run one wire to the switch instead of both included in the kit. One wire is constant 12v (does not get hooked up) other wire needs power input to override rear camera. So you only use 1 wire for operating with a switch pro.

Thank you for your explanation on the master/slave features.

16. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    Hextall

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I should probably shut up as I don't use my switchpro for the cameras (and am not skilled in proper electrical terminology). And now I think I'm realizing I might be confusing how the electrical signals override the camera with how the navigation override works (which I installed at the same time).

This is me... shutting up. ha.

cemented[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Based on some devs I've talked to, Android is actually better/easier to make work with outside programs. Same reason APRSdroid is miles ahead on the android platform and I'm not sure they even have an iPhone app still.

Not gonna discuss the overall utility of either platform though.

18. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    May be true, but like I mentioned on a later post, even Android has the same lag I have in my iPhoneX, so they just need to take a look and fix the issue.

19. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    that is true. Mine always takes forever just to launch to the switch panel proxy from the main menu. And only loads properly like half the time.

20. Dec 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    ACTaco4me

ACTaco4me Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR 4x4 DCSB
    Make sure you guys report these issues to Switch Pros so they let the developer know.

Products Discussed in

To Top