1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

switchbacks in rear turn signals tied to reverse lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hirod, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Aug 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM
    hirod

hirod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab short bed OR
    Was changing out my lights to LEDs and started thinking it may be possible to have additional reverse lighting in the rear turn signals using switchbacks. Electrical work is not a strong point of mine and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum so I figured I'd see if I can get some input.

I have a 2012 and the brake light bulb holder appears to be the same style as the dtrl's. The locking lugs on the holder is similar enough to the turn signals that I believe it could work with some sanding/filing. I was thinking of buying another tail light harness, cutting off the brake light section and splicing it onto my existing harness. For the remaining wire I was planning on using a t-tap to tie it into the reverse light. The bulb would be a switchback led, amber for turn and white for reverse. Anyone know off the bat if this won't work?

Sorry, lots of pics. Figuring it'll save some time and everyone doesn't need to go pulling off their taillamps.

[​IMG]
    The brake light bulb holder/connector

[​IMG]
    The opening for the turn signal bulb.

[​IMG]
    Brake light in the middle with the two wires for the turn signal on the right.

I failed to remember to take a pic of the reverse light wiring. Sorry. I'll try add a pic later.

Trd174x4 likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    If you wanted them all the time like the dtrl and blink like blinkers then all you would need to do is have a socket like the dtrl and add power to the third pin. If you wanted them as additional reverse lighting then I'm thinking all you should need is splice a power wire from the reverse lighting. So sounds to me it should work if you're comfortable cutting your harnesses.

3. Aug 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    Just thinking that when they are on it would show in the cab on the cluster as them being on so dtrl wouldn't be a good idea for normal use but if its just reverse then they would only be on for a short time.

4. Aug 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. Not planning on running them as dtrl's. Was going to use weather pack connectors on the original harness in case things don't work out. Was actually hoping to test run with some small alligator clips to the terminals if they'll fit. Biggest thing is getting my ass to the dealership to get the harness.

5. Aug 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    Keep us posted if it helps with the reverse lighting more people might jump on board.

6. Aug 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    K. Had a chance to fool around with my rear switchback project. Chopped up a harness and wired it up and it works. The electrical part seems sound so far. Know what to cut and what to join but the fine tuning part as to where to cut so the connections don't prevent me from putting everything back in the recess needs to be worked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This the guy we working with. Dunno if the colors are different for different years or not. Gonna cut off a donor brake light bulb holder plus wire and cut off a turn signal bulb holder. The donor bulb holder will have 3 wires since its for a dual filament bulb, one white and black, one green and red, and one green wires. One your main harness you'll now have a white and black and a green and yellow wire. Your green and yellow will hook up to you green and red. Your two white and blacks will go together. The remaining green wire will splice into the red wire going to the reverse light.

On my test harness, with the truck in reverse, the switch back was white. With it in reverse and the blinker on, the turn signal flashed amber and the reverse light remained illuminated.

With that said, that might've been the easy part. Now, how to get the donor brake light/turn signal bulb holder to fit in the turn signal location. And hopefully the resistor to fix the hyperflash doesn't affect anything. It shouldn't but things never go smoothly.

7. Aug 18, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Took care of couple projects today. First off, finished up the prototype for my rear lights. Btw, thanks mike. Switched to the red lense tails, the old lights off mike's truck. The new harness worked and only required a small amount of trimming on the bulb holder and light housing. One tab and one notch were required to get the dual filament bulb holder to fit in the turn signal position. Using some projector style switchbacks for now. Gotta wait for the cluster ones from jumper to come in. No extra resistors either for now so dealing with hyper flash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Turn signals

[​IMG]
    Reverse.

Very happy with it. Only had parts for one side so stuck with only one side with the high reverse light. Looks a little funny but can't help. Next rear lighting project may be to swap the red lenses onto the led lamp housings.

8. Aug 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    Looking good! :thumbsup: if you're running LEDs in your front turn signals you can pull the relay for them and add some resistors there to make it simple.

9. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a good idea. Would that work with the 2012+'s?

10. Aug 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    As far as I know it will work Just need to pull the flasher relay and change out the existing wire with 2 (.22) ohm resistors. That had it golden for me but you will have different resistances most likely so you might need to play around a bit.
    [​IMG]

11. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    K. Here's the switchback conversion. Well, pics with comments cause I outlined the process earlier.

[​IMG]
    Harness part number

[​IMG]
    Tear apart your donor harness. The plastic sleeve and all that tape. You're going to cut solid green by the base of the plug and green-red and white-black near the white-black junction (is that what its called?)

[​IMG]
    Here's your donor dual filament bulb holder. Notice solid green is longer. That's cause it needs to reach solid red for the reverse light.

[​IMG]
    Cut off the turn signal bulb holder on your primary harness. Colors should be green-yellow and white-black. Make sure its the correct white-black. Our donor bulb holder is next to it. Going to connect green-yellow to green-red and white-black to white-black. Don't forget to put the shrink tube before you solder.

[​IMG]
    Sorry bad pic. Supposed to show solid green tying into solid red.

[​IMG]
    This the turn signal opening. Confirm first but for me, the notch at three o clock in the picture was the one that needed to be enlarged. To the right I believe.

[​IMG]
    The bulb holder needs one of its tabs trimmed. Here's a trimmed and u trimmed one. I believe the lower left was trimmed.

After that just bolt it all back up. The harness plus switchbacks and shipping came out to close to $100 to Hawaii. Not sure how much a set of bolt on lights, hardware, and wiring would cost but I'm guessing its around there too. Plus I bet the bolt on lights would give better light and maybe more light if they're not LEDs. Both of those options would be over $100 just for lights though. But, this way, is in some ways easier I think. I just really like how its all tucked in and nothing more hanging off the back of my truck.

12. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    Headlights and reverse lights on

[​IMG]
    Reverse lights only

[​IMG]
    Reverse lights, headlights, and hazards

[​IMG]
    Camera view

[​IMG]

13. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    X2 on the awesome work. Question now.. Are they noticeably brighter and give on useable light or are they really for looks?

14. Aug 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Ah. Now I get it. Sorry, I'm bad enough with circuits that it just took me over 8 times rereading and looking at my pics. But I got it! Thanks caribe. It looks well within my skill level. Might see if I can do this. Thanks

15. Dec 20, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    Trd174x4

Trd174x4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 quicksand trd 4x4 Tacoma
    Love this!!! Great Job!
    I’ve been waiting on
    Meso Customs, “Tail Light Stage 2” kit but it’s never available.
    Is there any way you can maybe draw a
    “Wiring somatic” with some directions.
    I have a 2017, and I would greatly appreciate it.

16. Dec 20, 2020 at 10:50 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    this was done to my 2nd gen. i did something different with my 3rd gen. on 3rd gen there's only 1 clear light(?), not sure how you'd get around this except maybe an aftermarket housing.

17. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,

Products Discussed in

To Top