1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switching to synthetic at 93k...good or bad?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CNEDEER, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If you have any marginal gaskets and seals that are sealing because they have gunk on them, the synthetic oil will clean out the gunk around the seals and find the holes in them.

My rear main seal on my Dakota started to leak with synthetic oil when I switched at 40K miles. I switched back, the leak stopped. No harm done.

2. Sep 25, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Grosbec

Grosbec Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Off Road access cab
    I switched my '97 Tacoma 2.4 4 cyl from Castrol GTX 5w-30 to Syntec 5w-30 at 140k miles. At that time I quit the 3k mile oil changes and went to 10k mile intervals. Truck now has 335,000 miles and runs great. Never opened the engine once. Gave to my son last year when I bought a new Tacoma. I swapped it to synthetic at 2,500 miles. Using Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. Still doing oil changes at 10k intervals. I change filter every 5k miles.(Toyota filters). I did use Fram on the '97 Tacoma. I need to get an oil analysisdone the EP on this oil stands for extended performance. Supposed to be good for 15k miles. From what I've read, oil doesn't go bad. It's that additives that breakdown overtime. That would be awsome to change the oil just every 15k. With that said, all my driving is highway miles. Not stop and go. If you do mostly city driving I wouldn't go that many miles between changes. It really isn't the miles on the you drive. It's the hours on the motor. An hour in the city you may only drive 15 miles. On the highway you may drive 70 miles. I wish they would convert to hours over miles. This how they do it for machinery.

3. Sep 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good point on the filter change at 5k.

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    Only thing bad would be waiting til 7k miles, I did my older cars every 5k, now on the truck ill do the same

5. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    X2

I run a full synthetic but change my toyota oil filter every 3,000 miles and oil every 6,000.

Products Discussed in

To Top