1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sylvania Silverstar headlights - a product review with warning

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sprocket, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:45 AM
    Sprocket

Sprocket [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A while back I had a headlight burn out so I chose the Sylvania Silverstar as my replacement - The blue package not the top of the line orange package. The product has performed as advertised including light, clarity & service life.

And speaking of service life - Lighting is one of those things nobody thinks about until it isn't working. Like about Monday this week I noticed I had a headlight out - drivers side. Great, now I gotta go get another set because when one goes, the other is close behind. No lie that.

I kept forgetting to stop and get another set of lamps - kinda like remembering the rook leaks but only when it's raining - and last night as we left to go to a show said I should just throw in the spare lamp I have in the garage but didn't.

Leaving the show I started up the truck and turned on the headlight - which promptly failed. The high beams still work but the low beam filaments were toast so I drove home with no lights rather than blind everyone else in the city roads. 3 miles later, I'm home safely with no harassing interaction with other drivers.

So if you're using a respected manufacturer for lamps and they have an expected service life - expect the other lamp to go very quickly behind the first one. Do not hesitate getting your replacements.

I will be getting Sylvania again, perhaps the higher end but at least the Silverstar at a minimum. I hope you find this useful.

2. Sep 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Headlight bulbs should always be replaced in pairs. The lights dimm over time, and as you mention when 1 fails the 2nd isn’t usually far behind if the lights have strict quality control.

What I do is keep an extra set on hand at all times. When 1 bulb fails, swap the set and save the old bulb. When the next set has a light go out, swap in the old bulb to replace the dead one in order to buy a little time to pick up a couple new sets.

scouterjan and shane100700 like this.
  3. Sep 29, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    jacoblb

jacoblb Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    When one goes out I'll get two new sets. Swap one in and throw the other into the glove. I'll end up using the second set forgetting to replace it before a bulb goes out. I usually replace bulbs in the spring anyway, along with wiper inserts and other maintenance.

4. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    LindaInTN

LindaInTN New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linda
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 V6 2WD Crew Cab Red
    I also tried to use the same bulbs several months ago. I loved the extra light when driving at night, but they kept blowing out. One month the driver side would blow out and then the next month the passenger side would blow out. I went through at least 5 or 6 replacements and I was talking to the counter guy and he tells me that the older models, mine is a 2008, can't handle them and that I needed to use the lowest of the 3 levels of the Silverstar bulbs. He was right since I've gone several months with those lower bulbs. Well until this week, but that's a different problem that I will post in a new thread.

5. Nov 22, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Sprocket

Member:
    Um - I have a 2006 so if I get 18 mos out of them I"m good - pissed at the cost but good.

I'm actually looking at the ceramic harness from the "ultimate headlight" thread. Makes sense overall - can't justify the expense at this point.

Cycling and heat are the cause of failures in conventional lamps...

crashnburn80 likes this.
  6. Nov 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Silverstars are not a performance improvement, if you look at the spec they actually produce less lumens than stock due to the coating. Many people think it is more due to the whiter color.

Take another look, I posted an update in the original thread with a reduced cost option for the harness. Not a huge savings, but a savings alternative non-the-less.

7. Nov 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    With Silverstars its all about the country of origin...look on the back of the package. If it says made in Germany the bulbs will last years. If it says Taiwan or some crap you'll get maybe a few months.

Sprocket[OP] and inwood customs like this.
  8. Nov 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Ive heard this alot.

Cant recall last place of origin of my zxe, but they are well over a year old. I think i bought 2 sets in the last 6.5 yrs and im still on that 2nd set.

Few yrs of working nights included.

All i know is dont touch, dont touch, dont touch

Oh, and save your reciept

MTgirl[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Not sure about country of origin for Sylvania's per se. But Osram makes legit high performance silverstars from Germany which are not the same bulb as the Sylvanias.

Don't touch, wear gloves. And don't start your truck with the headlights on to avoid the voltage cycling on startup. Always turn your headlights off when you turn your truck off and leave them off till after your truck is running.

10. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I used them in my Taco and my Subie before that. Subie would burn through bulbs every 3 months or so until all of a sudden it didn't. And it was all because of where the bulbs were made. I just happened to buy a pack from Germany instead of SE Asia and voila! Problem fixed. And I was thinking the whole time that Subie had some wiring/electrical issue!

11. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Never crossed my peanut to mention to others about the lights being off upon startup. Makes sense.

Luckily my lights are always shutoff manually due to yrs of not having auto offs.

My fogs are always on tho.

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    Sprocket

Member:
    I will say that I'm happy with the lamps - consistent life from each of the lamps is an under-rated quality. My bad for not replacing them sooner.

13. Feb 4, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    Macg

Macg Active Member

Member:
    Does that mean your chess board gets a couple of little puddles on it?

I know this is two years old but the joke was irresistible...

I too have the headlight issue now. The Autozone guy mentioned the auto on/off trick (turning the light switch to off) but it does not seemed to have helped. The Sylvania package does say if you are not happy with the product you can return it for up to a year. I let AutoZone exchange it rather than return it. Mistake, cuz when the replacement burned out they said I had already warrantied it. SO! return it as being unhappy with it. Once that transaction is complete then go buy another one for a fresh year of return.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. Jan 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    Sprocket

Member:
    Guess what happened last week? Yup, burned out - like clockwork.
    Went one step down to the XTRAVision for $25 (compared to $45 for the Silverstar) Clock has started...

15. Jan 2, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    Age315

Age315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Yeti Mobile
    TRD Baja Kit with JBA UCA's 1/2 inch spacer on top, Medium Dakars with BAMF hangars and super bumps all around. 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on graphite TRD faux beadlock wheels. Pro skid powder coated black with Pelfreybilt aluminum mid skid and aluminum gas tank skid.
    I've ran the ultra's in the past with bad results. I've always had good luck with the regular silverstars but never looked at the packing to see where they are made. Have them in the taco (low beams, fogs and high beams) for 3 years with no issues.

scouterjan likes this.
  16. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    scouterjan

scouterjan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD OR AC in good old white
    I just upgraded to the Silverstar blue package. These are the mid grade and don't have that blue coating on the glass and made in Germany

17. Jan 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Sorry, but still over priced and under performing.

Products Discussed in

To Top