1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

synthetic oil vs convetional oil, and how often do you change your oil?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by donlogan, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    every engine I ever had was noisier with conventional oil and much quieter with synthetic oils and I am talking about close to a dozen vehicles. he same is true with motorcycles outboards and lawn mowers.

the only time my engines ever made more noise was if I replaced the synthetic oil with conventional oil, then they got much noisier.

the myth that synthetic oil makes engines noisier is talked about a lot but it has been proven false time and time again, show me one video that shows replacing synthetic with the same viscosity conventional oil quiets an engine.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM
    woodssyndicate

woodssyndicate Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4L 4x4 ext cab, 2011 trd sport dclb
    I should clarify that I run 0w20 in my 2011 and 5w30 in my 99. Sorry just realized OP was talking about a 1st generation.

3. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    In my time here in the beginning we had gurus and car geniuses like my friend Chris 4x4 who will chime in and we all took it to the bank. Now with our new moderators
    who are around only to police the site, is more confusing as far as who to trust.
    To bad Chris is into Jeeps now a day, but even so, I don't think Arizona is still part of this union anymore. but, I may be wrong.

4. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    In theory zero weight oil does not exist. Kinematic viscosity is time based, the amount of time it takes to flow through a standard orifice at a given temp so it is impossible for it to flow at a zero time. They get around that with pour temp rating to explain the zero rating bottom line unless you live where it drops to -50 on a regular basis it's pretty much useless as 5W will pour at -42.

5. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    ChrisH

ChrisH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orinda, CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Everyone has an opinion on this. In the end, you're not going to hurt your engine by changing your oil too often.

Just to specify what Toyota says for my truck. Is it out dated? Perhaps, but it still won't hurt to follow it.

From the MY2000 operator manual:

SAE 5W–30 is the best choice for your
    vehicle, for good fuel economy, and
    good starting in cold weather.
    If you use SAE 10W–30 engine oil in
    extremely low temperatures, the engine
    may become difficult to start, so SAE
    5W–30 engine oil is recommended.

There are two maintenance intervals, either 5000 or 7500 miles.

5,000 Miles or 4 Months
    ❑ Replace engine oil and oil filter

Here are the maintenance requirements:

Determining the Proper
    Maintenance Interval
    Depending on your circumstances, you should obtain maintenance
    for your Toyota every 5,000 miles or every 7, 500 miles.
    Followthese guidelines to determine which interval to use.
    5,000-Mile Intervals
    Use 5,000- mile intervals if you primarily operate yourvehicle
    under any of the following conditions:
    • Driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
    • Towing a trailer or using a camper or car- top carrier.
    • Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures
    belowfreezing.
    7,500-Mile Intervals
    Use 7, 500- mile intervals if you primarily operate yourvehicle
    under conditions other than those listed above.

For your particular vehicle, send an oil sample to Blackstone to get a full report on how dirty your car gets the oil. Use that to decide how often you should change your oil.

Considering the wide variety in ages & mileages of our trucks, there's no way to know optimum oil change time without testing your oil. Regardless of synthetic or not.

I tend to change my oil too often. Perhaps I get bored, perhaps it's my OCD, who knows.

6. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    I just ran amsoil to almost 20K, but they say you can go to 25k with the premium oil (whatever it's called). I ran an amsoil filter to 15K and then an oem for almost 5k. I'm about to send an oil sample to blackstone to see how it looks.

I commute 85 to 90 miles a day roundtrip...all highway.

7. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    ChrisH

ChrisH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orinda, CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    I'm going to have to enter into the current century before I trust my oil to last two years w/o changing it. :D

8. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    I just updated my post. I drive about 90 miles a day and it's all highway. I can probably run mine longer than someone else can.

9. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    True you won't hurt your engine, but you can hurt your wallet. IMHO the 3,000 mile oil change is bull shit advertisement from the quickie oil change industry. Really if you think about it, maybe you should change your oil every after every tank of gas, it's just cheap insurance, right? Or, maybe you should look at who is telling you it's a good idea and then apply a little common sense. (on a side note have you every wondered why the air filters from those places are bleached whiter than white? Because even the tiniest bit of dust makes them look like like crap when compared to a new one. Then the sweet young customer buys a new one.)

^ this x 3,000

The only true way to know if your oil is worn out is to have a lab test it. Personally that is too much bother for me, so I buy the cheapest name brand oil I can find, and change it as the manufacturer recommends. Been doing that for forever and never had an oil related problem in my engines.

10. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    donlogan

donlogan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    For normal service Amsoil 'signature series' recommends up to 25k miles, or one year, whichever comes first. Didn't see anything about a bypass kit unless I'm missing something-

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...00-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ASLQT-EA

11. Mar 12, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
  12. Mar 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    If you are still unsure after reading all the above information, try running a blend, I put 315,000 miles on my " old school" Toy running Castro Syn / Conventional blend. As far when to change, I'm with the driving conditions & how hard you drive it crowd. By the way, the truck is still running - somewhere, trying to find it and buy it back.

13. Mar 13, 2015 at 5:07 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I never sell any thing with less than 200K my 97 was sold with 285K and it too is still being used, 5K with what ever brand name WalMart has on sale. You can use syn and your truck engine will last 250K or you can use dino and it will last 250K it's up to you.

14. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    Edie011

Edie011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma trd xtracab
    I agree to an extent, there's a lot of things that come into play though. Synthetic oil is engineered in a lab to be better than Dino oil, hard to believe there are some people out there that have a hard time believing it. I watched a video by a chemist from Amsoil that mentioned he was at a conference with some Mobil 1 guys that were joking with him and said if our bosses let us spend that much money to make oil, we would have just as good of a product as Amsoil. Point being Amsoil goes far beyond the reach of "bargain" oils. And it sure shows.

Do some researching about Amsoil and I promise you will come out enlightened, also check out some of the tests they do. The guy who has the gm van that went a million miles with Amsoil sent his oil in at 25k mile interval and Amsoil said go ahead and change the filter, and run the same oil for another 25k. Pretty impressive.

Might be more expensive in short term, but when your intervals are 25k miles and you're spending less time under the hood, you end up coming out on top

15. Apr 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    hmmm, this is interesting. I have been running the Mobile 1 0w30 full synthetic in my first gen for about a year. She runs like a champ :confused: should I not be using it?? (Honest question)

[​IMG]

16. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    Edie011

Edie011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma trd xtracab

No you should not. Stick to 5w-30. Could maybe see 0w-30 in extreme cold situations

17. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    " Warranty protection for 5w-30 and 10w-30 requirements" That's what is written on the bottle at least. Seems like it would be ok to use.

18. Apr 7, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    So why we are on the topic of synthetic oil, i have a question to ask. Its merely a myth that one should NOT switch to syn if you have a high mileage vehicle correct? Im really contemplating switching over next oil change, which will be around 175k. Also has anyone ever noticed if syn helps smooth an idle? Ive never been told it has or hasn't. Just curious. I know stranger things have happened. it was just a thought As im trying to do everything cheap to track down my rough idle.
    Disclaimer: op, not trying to turn this into a rough idle track down thread, not trying to thread jack!!!

19. Apr 8, 2015 at 1:26 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I have been using mobil1 0w-30 for several years now and my motor loves it. After much research on BITOG, the use of 0w-30 even in normal temperatures is beneficial because the cold engine viscosity is much easier on the engine. Though it is a marginal difference when compared to 5w-30, the difference is there. And it does not have to be arctic temperatures either. The viscosity was tested at 70F and was still less viscous than 5w. That basically means less engine wear from start-up. Go research some on BITOG, there are a bunch of guys who did research on it with a bunch of testing and facts and figures to back it up. Don't listen to people have no idea what they're talking about. Go read what the REAL oil nerds are saying on BITOG. Or you could believe me because I already scoured that board and came to the conclusion that 0w-30 is better to use than 5w-30 when it comes to start up wear.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. Apr 8, 2015 at 4:25 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    Well said...this is exactly correct!!!

:)

Ed

Products Discussed in