1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Pro vs. TRD Off Road

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FatChance99, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    Chief Dub

Chief Dub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    None, finally back in a Taco
    I fear I may be rattling on, but I can’t help but put this out there.

It isn’t at all us OR owners turning our trucks into Pros for cheaper. Rather, it is us turning our trucks into something BETTER for cheaper. Black Pro wheels, nope I want rhinos. Skid plate, nope I want armor. Predator steps, nope I want skids. Intake and exhaust, nope I want K&N and Borla, 1” of fox springs, nope I want 3. Same size tires, nope I want 33’s or better. Leather, hell no. Non-functioning hood scoop.... say what???? Oh a grille!?! Yeah that looks noce, I’ll take that for $200 OEM local dealer.

My truck looks like an SR5 with OR wheels and a Pro grille and I don’t give a shit!

2. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    What did you give for an SR5 if you don’t mind me asking? I shelled out right around 33 for my OR with tech package (I wanted the stereo, black overfenders, rear sensors and blindspot monitoring, tinted glass, terrain control, crawl and locking diff.) The SR5s that even build close to that (no locking diff, crawl, or multi-terrain select) were upwards of 30-32K with haggling.

Not at all trying to call you out bud, just trying to think of hindsight. Mine MSRP’d for just 700 more than the build below.

4D27EB1E-5240-4ED9-9F88-EB56E7AA434A.jpg
    FC82AFA9-3D0B-4DFE-A547-170E335F8313.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    SkinnyP2

SkinnyP2 Millennial Wise Guy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Offroad Chuck Norris Edition
    Asking these questions on tacomaworld isn’t your best choice though.

Look at the individuals vehicle and take that into consideration when weighing their opinion.

I bought an auto TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4 in Cement.

Then I got here and....

I was convinced I should have bought a sport afterwards.

Then I was convinced I should have bought a long bed.

Then I was convinced I should have bought a manual.

Then it got cold and I was convinced I should have bought the heated seat package or whatever that is.

Lastly I realized I based a lot of my thoughts on what everyone else said was better.

The only thing I wish I had sometimes was the access cab because

1. Fewer people would be able to mooch a ride off me

2. I could fit my dirt bike in the bed without having to keep the tailgate down.

Other than that, 7 hour road trips in the auto, a $20 ebay heated seat cover, and the fact the flat hood has begun to grow on me has made me happy with my purchase.

Regardless of what you buy, you bought a Tacoma. It will be reliable if you take care of it and you will be able to sell it for a fair amount of what you paid.

Sorry for the long post. So to answer your question.

The pro is for looks imo. The offroad is overkill even, but when China decides to invade us you’ll have the most capable Armageddon machine on Earth.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    SirTmac, HD1911, f86sabjf and 8 others like this.
  4. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    OriginalMan

OriginalMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu 808
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4x4
    Bilstein 5100/888; 5160/AAL; SCS Ray10 Limited Gold; 285/70 Cooper STT PRO; AVS; OVTuned; Prinsu Cabrac; RCI Bedrack; TC Bed Stiffner
    Not gonna lie I'm old.

OP should buy what truly makes him happy or he will regret ever buying it.

Chief Dub likes this.
  5. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    raptor2018

raptor2018 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray Metallic
    TRD off-road or SR5 because it’s $12000-25000 less. If I was going to spend $49000 , it wouldn’t be a truck with the exact same V6 engine as a $25000 truck.

6. Feb 25, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Vonhetzer

Vonhetzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    The pro is the worst truck to buy, it's really not good for anything. Just ask TW. Or you could just get whatever you want for whatever reason suits you and really pay no mind to the Internet forums and "so called experts" :bananadead:. Either truck will do what's needs to be done, however either one will require mods for hardcore work.

7. Feb 25, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Full Auto

Full Auto Member

Member:
    I'm shopping around now for either a Off Road or a Pro. I'm having difficulty finding an Off Road with the Premium and Tech package in Cement or White around me. Most dealers local to me seem willing to knock 10% or more off right away on the off road. I've inquired about 2 Pro's optioned how I like and one dealer offered 3k off msrp and the other offered invoice (almost the same). We are talking about a difference now of 4-5K between trucks I'm looking at. I do plan on switching the suspension out but honestly I'm jumping on the best deal in the color I want. If it happens to be a Pro I can live with that. The fact is the wheels and suspension will probably be listed shortly after I purchase it (which actually closes the price gap) and those hideous Pro badges will be ripped off on day 1.
    Get what you like bud!

5Saints likes this.
  8. Feb 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    OriginalMan

OriginalMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu 808
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4x4
    Bilstein 5100/888; 5160/AAL; SCS Ray10 Limited Gold; 285/70 Cooper STT PRO; AVS; OVTuned; Prinsu Cabrac; RCI Bedrack; TC Bed Stiffner
    In my opinion I find nothing pro about the 'pro' version.

9. Feb 25, 2019 at 10:27 PM
    sdfuller88

sdfuller88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Reno, NV
    Not a problem. My coworker has a TRDOR and it's nice but it has a bunch of stuff I don't need or I was going to replace anyways. I'm mostly using this truck for hunting and offroading.

I got mine for 31 otd and I was planning on upgrading everything anyways so anything I could save I wanted to. I didn't want crawl control or any of the other TRDOR stuff. My last truck (RAM ecodiesel) had all the tech stuff and honestly all that stuff kinda bothered me since I wasn't able to customize to my liking, I was stuck with how whoever programmed it wanted me to use it. Lots of simple stuff like not being able to dim the dash when the headlights were off and other little things like that.

I wanted to lock the front and rear and have compressed air on board so ARB's were already in the plan and so was a camburg/fox/deaver 3" lift. About the only thing I wish I had that the TRDOR got was the larger diff but in all honesty that's not a big deal either since I'm only running 33"s. I guess I just really enjoy doing everything myself and so far I'm really happy with the truck I bought.

If it was just a DD/grocery getter that saw trails only a few times a year than an OR would probably have been my choice. I'm 30 and this is probably the last new truck I'll ever get and with all the money I've dumped into it I think I'm going to be keeping it forever. If/when kids come I'll get something more appropriate for hauling them around and the taco will be my toy.

Chief Dub[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    remgu2000

remgu2000 Keepin' on keepin' on.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    Used to have a 2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    OP, let me shamelessly plug my poll. It will give you an idea of where we all stand with regards to our preferences. It doesn't mean one choice is better but it graphically represents what we own.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/unscientific-3rd-gen-census.534462/

Screenshot_20190226-020359_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:45 PM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    The hate for the PRO is real, these are all great trucks... except maybe the limited :)

People make most of their "mod" list to look like a PRO... wheels, pro skid plate, pro grille, etc.... Still doesn't have the resale value of the less produced PRO model

One thing you can do is build a TRD off road with Tech+Premium and you will quickly find yourself at a PRO MSRP
    This is still not considering the suspension, skid plate and other little PRO "cosmetic" items including hood scoop and resale value down the road if things change

If your not out for leather/moonroof, and want a 3" lift a Sport, Offroad, SR5 is the much BETTER choice
    If you are lazy, dont want to modify a new truck, like how the PRO looks then it might be the better choice

Just dont pay above MSRP for a PRO and if getting any other Tacoma model check the how much paid threads as you can easily get 5-10% off MSRP

Flash1034 and ET340f like this.
  12. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:52 PM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    Hahahahaha!!! One of the best posts I have seen regarding this. So accurate in soo many ways! Stoked on my sport and it’s more than enough truck for me living in SoCal, but this made me laugh because what you said is so damn true. Well played, good sir!

SkinnyP2[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:11 AM
    sdfuller88

sdfuller88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Reno, NV
    In all honesty you should probably just get an offroad. They have one of the best resale values of all the models

14. Feb 26, 2019 at 1:31 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    Other than the snorkle your 19 came with, what “hardcore” mods? I can only think of the cutting for the snorkle...

15. Feb 26, 2019 at 1:58 AM
    itrsteve

itrsteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    18 LC/15 GT3
    I wonder how this data correlates to actual production numbers. I bet you would find there’s a direct relationship.

remgu2000[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:19 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    I tried looking that up not too long ago. I think the only variable that goes against that logic is the type of person who becomes a member of a group like TW.

remgu2000 and itrsteve[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:51 AM
    Amchuge

Amchuge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma trd pro
    I only went with the TRD pro because I didnt want to have to touch the suspension like I did my last truck. I know some people on here have said with what money they spent on not getting the Pro, they spent it on a lift and wheels. Plus the Pro came with a few extra cosmetics that I probably would've done in the future had I gotten a different trim

Flash1034, ET340f and Full Auto like this.
  18. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:00 AM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    That truck looks very good :) however was not talking or saying anything wrong about doing Mods to the Truck simply talking about those who Knock the Pro Owners down because they decided to go that Route. there is nothing wrong with any of the directions an owner decides to take it is just that there are many who find fault in the direction an owner decided to go and that gets old,

19. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:31 AM
    ET340f

ET340f Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westechester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR MT
    I just ordered a 2020 PRO MT last night. I am way over working on and having shit done to my vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and whatever else anymore. It was what I wanted so I ordered it. It is all personal opinion anyway. As for the money if you have it spend it. You can't take it to your grave.

HD1911, JNG, Amchuge and 1 other person like this.
  20. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:43 AM
    soggyBottom

soggyBottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got a pro because I didn't want to upgrade. I tend to upgrade everything I own. I even have a wine bottle opener that I upgraded to pull the cork out faster.

I also bought a last min plane ticket to fly 800 miles away where there was a sale on one listed less than the cost of an OR or even Sport at my local dealer

Products Discussed in

To Top