1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Pro vs. TRD Off Road

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FatChance99, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    What did the msrp come to on that?

2. Feb 26, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    ET340f

ET340f Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westechester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR MT
    No idea. They haven't announced it officially yet. I did get them to commit to no more than MSRP. They don't pull that shit in my area anyway.

3. Feb 26, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    remgu2000

remgu2000 Keepin' on keepin' on.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    Used to have a 2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    There's probably a correlation. It would be interesting to have the data to compare.

4. Feb 26, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP
    i like how everyone says to buy a cheaper model and then spend $20k on upgrades, as if that money actually exists. usually if someone is buying a lower trim level, it's because the higher trim level is too expensive... it's not because they have $25k to spend on an SR and then another $20k pile of cash.

f86sabjf, JCT86, Tocamo and 5 others like this.
  5. Feb 26, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    Chief Dub

Chief Dub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    None, finally back in a Taco
    Lol, I get your point. But, just hang with me for a sec, I have budgeted and ordered just $8K in mods for my OR. (3K suspension, 2K wheels and tires, a little over 1.5K in armor and rails, 1K in bed rack and $500 in cosmetics like my pro grille). That takes my total investment to 41K... after selectively purchasing a lower trim level NOT based on money but on not spending that money on precisely the areas I wanted more capable stuff in to start.

I think “most” might be a flippant assumption to the kind of guys who post in this forum. I get not wanting to modify and wanting a finished product, but I think we could all agree (leather interior and hood scoop aside) that if you already intend to go 3 inches, 33” tires and want aftermarket armor, buying a Pro is an absolute misuse of investment capital (minus the unknown of future resale return).

***Edit: You said "usually if someone..." and I used "most" in context.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    remgu2000 and Amchuge like this.
  6. Feb 26, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    Wixo

Wixo Platinum+ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR5 Tundra CM 5.7L Barcelona Red
    Tint, LED interior
    I mean if you dont ever want to mod the suspension then go for the Pro, but if you're ever going to lift it or anything like that then get the OR. If you want to lift a pro you're going to have to get rid of those fox shocks. You cant just put a spacer on them.

Amchuge likes this.
  7. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:

i don't think that this forum is representative of the average tacoma owner and that people who visit an enthusiast site are far more likely to spend money on mods than people who don't, but i'd also venture a guess that the percentage of people on this site spending $8k in mods is pretty low. yeah if you're going to spend it anyway and actually have it budgeted to spend, then it makes sense to get a lower trim level and replace parts that would have already been upgraded on the higher trim level.

edit..... i'm heavily involved in the mountain bike community and hear the same sorts of arguments there on whether to get a higher or lower spec bike and carbon vs alloy etc. Several will say to spend $500 less and get the alloy bike instead of carbon and then use that $500 for upgrades, but typically a rider that's debating over $500-1000 on a bike doesn't have it to spend anyway.

Full Auto likes this.
  8. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    ian rogers

ian rogers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Sf Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    69 fj40, 2019 OR manual
    Locked Sliders Roll cage H41
    Sometimes it has to do with the ability to mod a truck. My wife said I could not mod a new truck. So I looked for a Pro for 6 months, I could not find one at MSRP in manual so I gave up and picked up and off-road. I will update the shocks in 4 years when the current ones are worn out. I my mods will have to happen as thinks ware out.

9. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    Vonhetzer

Vonhetzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Ignorant, Arrogant or illiterate? Which one are you?

10. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy

I don't know. You could of probably convinced me of that a few years ago, but with 'everything' online today, you get a much broader audience. You will have a lot of first time buyers looking for advice, a lot of enthusiast looking for the next coolest thing to add to their truck, and the hard core group that need vehicle mods that can take the abuse and get them back home. Many different age groups too. This forum exist for all, as you see a lot of new people to the TW forum world "asking" questions and not knowing how to search for answers. You have the people on the forum that give them a hard time, those that will help no matter how many times the same question is ask, and the mods to keep it all in some type of control.

Now the sponsors want to "hope" that all the people on this forum want to upgrade like crazy, but that isn't true. As you stated, some can just barely afford the base truck and will slowly save to modify. I'm not saying it's 50-50 on the board for new-comers and enthusiast, maybe 65-35. But if you help all that 35% to become the majority, they will help the next 30% coming along. There is no blanket answer, as we each purchase our truck for our own reasons. But you can't bash the member that want a 4" lift to look cool at the mall, the bend over backwards to help the guy wanting a 4" lift to run some hard trails. We are here because we have a passion about the Tacoma's we drive, the mods we apply, the places we take them, the pure joy we get out of them when we are having fun in them.

HD1911, Alnmike, Toki and 4 others like this.
  11. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    Really? I guess if asked to evaluate myself for those three qualities:

1) Ignorant: I don't think that defines me, though there are things that I choose to ignore or not bother myself with on a daily basis. Mostly benign things, as I am a father of three and employed in the U.S. Military. However, I have had a week off now, and thought I might contribute some to a thread that caught my eye.

2) Arrogant: Yeah, I guess you could accuse me of that from the outside looking in. I am in charge of a lot of people and money, and I often forget that the civilian world is not inside of my professional bubble. I mean nothing by it, and usually attempt to let people know I am having fun or playing around with no offense meant.

3) Illiterate: Not at all in fact. I am well educated, articulate, and do well in conversation. Typing on a phone can be a struggle, and reception is poor at best out here near the water. These things I said of myself may be directed towards quality 2 if you would like, but I believe I admitted guilt to that attribute.

I hope you have a good day, it would appear your judgment is stark.

***Note: I re-read your original post and see where I misread it the first time around. If you don’t assume a person is an ass (and I wasn’t trying to be, just debating what I thought I read) then your reaponse could probably (up to your interpretation as implied) be seen as heavy-handed. I hope we can coexist.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    HD1911, TacoBowl, TmBlackFlag and 3 others like this.
  12. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    So this is an interesting point. I think it depend son the mods. Stock vs Stock a Pro will get a little more. But if the OR is running say King 2.5s all the way around and were recently rebuilt, you could probably get a bit more as the Pro is running a used suspension and the OR is running a new one.

Depends on what people are willing to pay. There is some recovery in mods but you'll never get your money back.

I was pleasantly surprised to see at a recent pool by @JCOOR that a significant number of people paid cash and owed nothing. The poll is anonymous so I can't imagine all those people lying.

13. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    evoix4me

evoix4me Well-Known Member

Member:

Contra is a dope game

OriginalMan[QUOTED] and JoeCOVA like this.
  14. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    I can concede to your point. I guess I can get a little defensive of my stance on this whole thing, and it doesn't help that every single Pro driver out there is quick to point out that I am trying to turn my truck into a fake.

These threads always digress into some form of opinion vs opinion... this is just the first time I have found myself involved. Hell, I didn't even see it happening lol, I'm too old for this shit.

Chooter, Cal1630 and HankP[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    gurneyeagle

gurneyeagle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Augustine, FL/Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5, 2018 Audi TT RS, 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Cement), 2019 MDX
    I was thinking more along the lines of trade-in value. Going that route, I doubt a modded OR would see any value returned for mods possibly making the Pro a better deal?

Cal1630 likes this.
  16. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy

Nailed it!!! You should assume that EVERY MOD you put on your vehicle is worthless to the next buyer. Also assume that every mod you make, the future buyer is going to think you modded it ALL WRONG. Your truck is what ever the blue book value is, no matter the $12k mods you added to it. Now if you can get more than that for it, good, but it will be a rare thing. But always mod it to make it fit your needs, as you are the one paying for it, the one that owns it and the one that drives it.

canyonchaser, HD1911 and gurneyeagle like this.
  17. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    I think we all are. Nothing wrong with getting defensive, I take it as part of your passion, and really didn't have a dog in this fight. Like you said, we are all offering opinions, and shocked that two actually agree...lol.

And you paid for your truck, drive your truck and enjoy your truck... turn it into whatever you love!! Who gives a hooooey what others think as long as you love it!! :D

remgu2000 and Chief Dub[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Feb 26, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Raistlen0

Raistlen0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCLB AT QS
    OK I didn't see any one mention it but if OP wants the long bed he has to go for the Off Road . I Think Pro only comes in short.

evoix4me likes this.
  19. Feb 26, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:

didn't and don't bash any members. was merely making the point that if someone was going to buy a $45k truck that even if they settled on a lower trim and spent $35k that they don't immediately just have $10k cash to drop on mods. maybe they do. maybe they don't. if they already had the cash to spend, then yeah they are spending money that they saved, but for a lot of people that's just $10k that they didn't have that anyway and it never really existed.. it would have been financed out over a bunch of years.

HankP[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 26, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    I am sorry if I had implied you bashed anyone, it was not meant that way and never seen you bash anyone. I was speaking in general to the forum itself. There are a few here that talk down to other on occasion and gives the forum a bad rap. And I totally agree with your scenario. I am very fortunate to have a great job, been working many years and can 'afford' to get any trim level, and still not sure which one I 'want', compared to which one I "need"...lol. My off roading now is down to like 3%, but before it was %30. I want it back to 30%, but work, life, reality sucks at times... so I have to live through the wonderful members trucks here.

Products Discussed in

To Top