1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Pro vs. TRD Off Road

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FatChance99, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    remgu2000

remgu2000 Keepin' on keepin' on.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    Used to have a 2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    OK hear me out on the whole resale value debate as I'm not convinced that in 5 years a Pro will have that much more resale value over an OR.

Resale values are based on the value the market gives a product. The market is comprised of both knowledgeable and unknowledgeable buyers. You also have some people that just want to have something to show off.

A knowleable buyer will know that the only real difference between the Pro and the OR are the shocks, wheels, and the non-functioning scoop. Therefore while they may pay more, they will not pay that much more for a 5 year old Pro over an OR.

An unknowledgeable buyer will look at the two trucks and not know the differences the he or she can't see. I doubt they will pay much more for wheels and a scoop. Especially when the wheels are so easily added. Once again the Pro will not be much more than the OR.

Now we have the buyer who wants to show off. For this they may want the highest trim level...but then again the vehicle is 5 years old so the "show off" effect will be limited so I'm not sure if the Pro will be that much more valuable.

Will the Pro go for one or two grand more? Sure but not much more than that. What am I missing?

2. Feb 26, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP

at one point in time i really wanted a jeep and the warnings that you would always read on the jeep forums about buying a modded vehicle is that you don't know who did the mods or how skilled they were, so yes you could buy a heavily modded used vehicle, but there were no guarantees about how long it would last. likewise when you go to sell, your buyer doesn't know who did your mods or how well they were done, so you aren't going to get what you paid for the parts. your vehicle may sell faster than an unmodded one just because of how it looks.

3. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    Actually, you can. 88 Rotors is an off road shop in California. They have a bunch of videos on youtube putting lifts on tacomas. There is a couple TRD Pros on there where they installed a 1" spacer/shim on the front and a spacer in the back to run 285's.

4. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Wixo

Wixo Platinum+ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR5 Tundra CM 5.7L Barcelona Red
    Tint, LED interior
    Well I know it can be done, but isnt it bad to do spacers? Everyone here seems to not like them. Also, I thought 88rotors was in Las Vegas...I guess I must have read something wrong lol

GillyLink likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    Chief Dub

Chief Dub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    None, finally back in a Taco
    I had the only Pro you could potentially make a depreciation case study on. I bought my 2015 Pro in April of 2015 and sold it in Mar of 2018. In that time I racked up 60K miles.

MSRP was $38 new, I paid closer to $40 with additions. I got $33.5 trade-in on my wife’s 4Runner. CARMAX offered me the same, which is how I got my dealer to come up. 88% at 3 years. I regret selling it every day.

Does someone have a similar story with a 2015 OR DCSB 4x4?

gurneyeagle and 18CavalryTaco like this.
  6. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    If you break it down to percentages it probably won't be much different at all between the 2.

Lt. Dangle, GillyLink and Chief Dub like this.
  7. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    Agreed, I think the return will be higher, but only in that the loss would be proportional to the entry cost, only a little less for elite trim factor. My 15 is a bad example because there was a complete lifecycle overhaul of the truck and the entry costs skyrocketed across the board.

remgu2000 and shakerhood[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Feb 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    itrsteve

itrsteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    18 LC/15 GT3
    That it's all speculation. Nobody has a crystal ball of what market values will look like in the future. I know for sure 5, 10, 15 years down the road I'd rather have a stock truck in any trim.

As far as long haul values of limited trim models I've seen this in the past with two cars I've owned numerous of:

1. Acura Integra Type R (owned 3 of these) - Granted, these were numbered and very limited compared to a pro (3,800 to the US)... The integra basically had 3 trims, LS, GS-R and Type R... The type R typically sold for $3-4 more than the next in line GS-R and the forum conversations were the same exact damn stuff in the late 90's early 00's that we're having today... "Oh I can buy a GS-R, put a few mods on and smoke a type R" "you guys must hate money" "why pay extra for suspension when I'm just going to rip it off?"... Well, 20 years later you can barely find fair condition Type R's selling for less than $20k and the really clean examples going for well into the $40 (and even $50k range). Whereas a modified GSR is now peanuts, you can get them for $5k all day long. While I don't see the value curve of the pros taking the same path in comparison and their supply is far greater, I've seen this story play out.

2. 01-06 BMW M3 (owned 4 of these) - Extremely mass-produced car but in 05-06 they had the Competition Package option. For a large degree, it was crap... Different wheels and drilled rotors (which is stupid). The same conversations then "well I don't even like those wheels" "why wouldn't I just get brembo brakes instead?"... Very valid arguments at the time because it was in-fact a waste of money... But low and behold nearly 15 years later, those competition packages still fetch a premium and typically far beyond what that option initially cost.

Don't discount the 10 year old down the street that could give a crap about superiority of King suspension that oogled at his neighbors pro knowing nothing about the marginal differences, he just knew it was cool... they'll eventually become buyers.

This isn't me trying to defend my Pro purchase by any means, but I've seen how similar conversations have played out in the past.

MiamiMark, Toki and Chief Dub like this.
  9. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    remgu2000

remgu2000 Keepin' on keepin' on.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    Used to have a 2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    All valid points about modded vehicles and rarer trim levels (which the Pro isn't going to be because they sell like hotcakes). The point I was trying to make is that there just aren't enough differences between the two trims for the resale value down the road to be all that different. The $4K-$8K difference you are paying now is not going to translate to anywhere near that much (accounting for inflation) 5-15 years down the road.

Of course that's just my 2 pennies.

18CavalryTaco likes this.
  10. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    itrsteve

itrsteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    18 LC/15 GT3
    We'll have to see how it shakes out. Stock for stock in a few years I'm sure that gap will definitely shrink but doubtful that it'll ever go away entirely.

Kudos for acknowledging the gap as a realistic $4-8k and not $20k as commonly perpetuated on here.

Chief Dub and remgu2000[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:46 PM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    While shopping I did see a $15K gap with dealer markup, but MSRP to MSRP the biggest I have seen between mine and a pro was around 10

shakerhood likes this.
  12. Feb 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DCSB TRDOR 4x4 Quicksand
    That grill just looks so badass. I don't see how you can not add that to whatever Tacoma you buy. It honestly makes the truck IMO and I would add it with no intention of trying to pretend to be a Pro.

13. Feb 26, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Vonhetzer

Vonhetzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    None taken, was rough day on my part and extend an apology for being a jackass.

Chief Dub[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 27, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    This is absolutely true. I used to drive chevy trucks, and I ALWAYS bought Z71s (Rancho shock and wheels only but 2-3K higher.) I did so because through my ownership of five of these I was able to garner premium returns every damn time. Definitely not worth the initial investment at the time, but time and time again it proved to be lucrative.

If the intent is to rotate theough new vehicles every 2-3 years (or less) buying the premium model is always the most valuable option.

itrsteve[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 27, 2019 at 2:54 AM
    cpc

cpc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    MASS/ESSEX COUNTY
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO
    cbi front receiver, rigid lights, leitner designs, mobtown sliders, Brute Force Fab
    when the PRO was "re introduced"

Chief Dub likes this.
  16. Feb 27, 2019 at 2:56 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    We good man. I always assume the emotion factor doesn’t translate across written text and things maybe aren’t as they seem.

17. Feb 27, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    Yes, I know there was a 2015 Pro, but this is the 3rd gen section and we are talking about 2016 plus trucks right now. Since there was not a Pro in 2016 is the reason I said when it was "introduced" in 2017.

18. Feb 27, 2019 at 4:46 AM
    bludweiaer

bludweiaer Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro DBL Cab,,2020 F3L Spyder...Polaris 800..
    avs rain guards,,,tyger auto tubesteps... stealth SR8's.265/70/17,ridge grapplers..shiftsense pro...
    i had a 2015 Pro, and MSRP was 43,800.00 auto... thats what i paid, there were no 2015 PRO's with a MSRP of 38,000. in 2015..

19. Feb 27, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    Integra Type-R yeah they were cool, especially the first run that were only available in white. At the end of the day, they are still a 20 year old Honda Civic. :rofl:

Oh, and the domestic model looked way cooler.

itrsteve[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 27, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    Chief Dub

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR DCSB QKSD
    The price before the right side adjustments on my window sticker was 38,4##. Black DCSB 2015 TRD Pro. On the right section was the additions (steps, rails, yadda yadda yadda.) not sure what reason I would have for lying about the price bud.

*Edit: if my memory serves me it was maybe on the very top right above the adjustments. Either way, numbers were the same.

Products Discussed in

To Top